Thoughts on Finding a 2005/6 Chevy Suburban in TX

1,568 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Charismatic Megafauna
Bungus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

Here in a year, Ill be traveling alot for work and would like to get an older suburban to use as my "work" vechicle. I have no need for any hauling but Ive always wanted one and the amount of space is what im looking for. Any tips on where to find one thats not half beat to death and what to look out for in regard to mechanical issues?

TIA
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good luck, decent vehicles from that vintage are hard to find and when you do find them, it's hard to justify the prices. I'd love to build a mid to late 2000's Silverado into a really nice daily driver, but they're mostly used up.
a07nathanb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can still run across them from time to time on marketplace. The 05/6 like you mentioned is ideal but I wouldn't count out one 01-04 if you can find a clean one. Not sure what you do but plan for 16-18 mpg. Id go for 2wd if going to be on the highway a lot.
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see more clean 2500 suburbans of that vintage than 1500s if you're open to a big block.

I did run across this clean 2004 1500 z71 in peepaw pewter with 160k miles. The interior is surprisingly clean for the age/miles.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1799267274539730/
Red Fishing Ag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
a07nathanb said:

You can still run across them from time to time on marketplace. The 05/6 like you mentioned is ideal but I wouldn't count out one 01-04 if you can find a clean one. Not sure what you do but plan for 16-18 mpg. Id go for 2wd if going to be on the highway a lot.

Yes. I took an 02 to 320k. Solid and easy to DIY repair.
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I prefer the exterior aesthetics and interior of 03-06, however as time goes on, I think the 99-02 trucks will be the most reliable/easiest to repair.
Donnys Element
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've driven two of the these vehicles the past 15 years. First I had a 2005 Suburban and now have a 2005 Yukon XL. Body is in good shape, good paint, no rust. Headliner is starting to droop.

This car has been in my family since it was new (my grandfather bought it, my dad inherited it when grandfather died and then passed it on to me.)

Common issues- rear main seal leaking, I got this fixed in my Yukon XL when it had a get a new transmission about three years ago
-Evap Canister, I've had to replace this twice. DIYable for my limited mechanical experience
-Window regulators- I've done these at least 5 times

With two kids in college now, I don't drive my Yukon XL as much since I bought a hybrid sedan (quite a difference with MPG! from the Yukon XL.

You can send me a text if you want to talk. I'm in Temple/Belton area. @Two5Four#9One3$Seven1 Seven 2
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am getting ready to sell a 2007 K2500 Suburban. It has 240k miles but is in good shape for what it is, is has some small quirks. It has the 6.0L engine, so no AFM, but if you are going to drive a lot of miles, it may not be what you want given current gas prices. They are sort of hard to find, so still working on a price.
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a buyer at the right price. Really want a gmt800 but having a hard time finding one
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

I am getting ready to sell a 2007 K2500 Suburban. It has 240k miles but is in good shape for what it is, is has some small quirks. It has the 6.0L engine, so no AFM, but if you are going to drive a lot of miles, it may not be what you want given current gas prices. They are sort of hard to find, so still working on a price.


Potentially interested, I want to do a Duramax swap on one, but need to get rid of my 2005 8.1L first.
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the 8100 was the gem??
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
8.1 burb? I'd be more interested in yours...
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CactusThomas said:

I thought the 8100 was the gem??


It may be if diesel doesn't come back down to reality in the near future lol
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you want creature comforts the gmt900 is truly a head and shoulders over gmt800, also being stuck with the 4l80 in the big block burbs kinda sucks (you could only get the bb/allison combo in trucks due to trans tunnel clearance). 6 speeds is 50% more!!! That said, the gmt900s have a lot more important stuff on the undercarriage that's susceptible to water or damage, which is the main reason I want a 3/4t 800 for the family weekend adventure rig. If I can find one with the 8.1 even better. So much grunt, 9mpg be damned
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The current plan is to put it up for sale around Halloween. It will get posted here when I put it up for sale.
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I keep it I'll probably see if I can get a gear vendors overdrive doubler unit to reduce RPM's instead of a Duramax swap

It'll definitely pull down a house but won't pass a gas station.
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lift and bigger tires will lower your rpms at a given speed

Best fuel economy I ever got in my 8.1 (avalanche) was a tank where I spent more time over 90 than under. I believe that was nearly 12mpg. Otherwise I pretty much always got 9mpg. City, hwy, towing, didn't matter
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tow near the limit with it and our last trip to Oklahoma avoiding major highways we got 6 mpg. On the way back we too major highways & interstates and got around 7-8 mpg. Doesn't sound like much but added up to 2 less fill ups on the 375 mile drive back.
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yours must have 4.10 gears?
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Must have an 8 gallon tank
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Yours must have 4.10 gears?


Indeed
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last thing you'd want to have happen when towing 11k lbs is run out of gas on the side of the road. I typically stop at half a tank and fill it back up.
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a beast! Def give me a crack at it when you sell
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.