Worth Repairing?

1,323 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by CactusThomas
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a 2016 Ford Expedition EL XLT (EcoBoost). It has about 210,000 miles.

I am being told it needs a new RWD Transmission Assembly and a new transmission assembly.
$7,500 for a new 3/36K warranty, or $4,500 for one with 100K miles on it and 1/12K warranty.
I have one more transmission shop looking at it today to she if they can perhaps rebuild it. If so they would give a 3/36K warranty as well.

Car is a one owner and relatively good shape.

Is it worth it?
rab77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you feel confident about the rest of the car then there are two ways to look at this.

$7500 should get you another 80-100k

$4500 should get you another 50-60k

Then based on 20k miles per year driving
You get 4-5 yrs for one option
And 2-3 years for the other option

That seems fairly cheap transportation for either of those options. Just something to consider while you're trying to decide
agnerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is included in a "transmission assembly" that isn't included in a transmission? Is that a transmission and torque converter? Scam hairs on the back of my neck go up when shops start taking about assemblies instead of individual parts.
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am not sure what all is included as I wasn't there, we have taken it to a true transmission shop for a second opinion.
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The transmission shop called, said I didn't need a new transmission, the nose she heard was a wheel bearing and it needed a coolant pump I think.

Who do we trust these days?
JB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAGGIES said:

The transmission shop called, said I didn't need a new transmission, the nose she heard was a wheel bearing and it needed a coolant pump I think.

Who do we trust these days?


So what was the initial concern? Transmission not shifting or a noise?
akaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the difference between a "RWD transmission assembly" and "transmission assembly?"

Run away from that first shop for sure and never go back.
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JB said:

TXAGGIES said:

The transmission shop called, said I didn't need a new transmission, the nose she heard was a wheel bearing and it needed a coolant pump I think.

Who do we trust these days?


So what was the initial concern? Transmission not shifting or a noise?

She heard a noise and felt s deceleration
JamesPShelley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everything on that ride has 210K on it.

Wheel bearing today... what's tomorrow?

I'd start looking for another ride.
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to get 12 months out of it. We have bought 2 new and 1 used car already this year.
JB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAGGIES said:

JB said:

TXAGGIES said:

The transmission shop called, said I didn't need a new transmission, the nose she heard was a wheel bearing and it needed a coolant pump I think.

Who do we trust these days?


So what was the initial concern? Transmission not shifting or a noise?

She heard a noise and felt s deceleration


Well, hopefully a quick wheel bearing and water pump fix it up.
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's expensive for 6R80…

Where are you located?
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

That's expensive for 6R80…

Where are you located?





ETA: noticed it was a wheel bearing. Front or back?
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

That's expensive for 6R80…

Where are you located?


Well, he was quoted two of them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.