2020 Expedition Check Engine Light

2,341 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got the oil changed on our Expedition last week, did the oil life reset myself, and immediately our check engine light came on

Double checked the dipstick and oil cap for tightness. Everything I've read is that it's some sort of sensor.

Am I gonna have to go spend $500 for a ford visit for them to tell me it's nothing? Car is running normal.

Thanks in advance
Ag for Life
AG
What's the code?
bigfoot10s
AG
Ag for Life said:

What's the code?

How would I find the code?
Ag for Life
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Ag for Life said:

What's the code?

How would I find the code?

Use a scantool or go to any auto parts store and have them hook up a scanner and pull the code for free.
Whitetail
AG
Between a decent scan tool off of Amazon and YouTube, you can get a pretty good idea of what is causing the light.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Oreilly scans for free.

Get the code and report back.

bigfoot10s
AG
P0430 is the code. Autozone techs said to run some Cataclean thru it and it should be good.

What say you Texags?
MouthBQ98
AG
If memory serves, that is cat code. After an oil change, it could be over full and blowing By the PCV and causing a sooty exhaust. Or something like that. I forget which bank and sensor it is. The cat codes have been going off in my Expedition for 100,000 miles and it still runs great. Eventually I might replace them myself but it seems pointless. I almost want to pull them and remove the elements to hidden straight pipe them and put sensor bypasses on the downstream but I will probably buy aftermarket ones and try to stay legit.
Redstone
AG
My stepfather has a 2001 and the light is permanently on.
Picard
AG
Your cats are still covered under warranty unless you have a ton of mileage on that 2020. Take it to the dealer for a free cat replacement.

bigfoot10s
AG
Little over 70k, bought it used. I'd be surprised if they warranty it but I could be wrong
Picard
AG
I think the emissions warranty is 8 years 80k miles. Check that though.
JSKolache
AG
Check engine lights are typically 90% emissions related and not a big deal at all. I just ignore emissions related codes. Don't GAF at all, so long as the code is clear during annual inspection time.

Buy a $20 code scanner on Amazon and keep it in the console if you want to know the codes being thrown.
bigfoot10s
AG
Picard said:

I think the emissions warranty is 8 years 80k miles. Check that though.

Going to take it to Ford Saturday. It does say that that is the warranty. We shall see
tripp96
AG
Happened to ours Ran some fuel additive and a tank of premium in next fill up. Code went away and never came back. Ours was a 2020 as well.
12th Man Ag
AG
Has happened in my wife's 2021 twice in the last year. First time it was the driver's side CAT. Replaced under warranty at 72k or something. Same one crapped out last month at 83k. Warranty expired at 80k and repair was 14 months ago, so out of repair warranty. Ford paid $800 and I paid $600.
Ag for Life
AG
Regular Italian tuneups are needed for ecoboosts to prevent this
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Has happened in my wife's 2021 twice in the last year. First time it was the driver's side CAT. Replaced under warranty at 72k or something. Same one crapped out last month at 83k. Warranty expired at 80k and repair was 14 months ago, so out of repair warranty. Ford paid $800 and I paid $600.
new plugs and get that ecoboost good and hot on a regular basis.

Short drives and idling are clogging and killing the cats.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I currently have a Cat code P430 and waiting on dealership to locate a loaner for me.

This will be the 4th (maybe 5th I believe) replacement in a year.

I'm going to be arguing that Ford needs to figure this out - it's becoming quite a nuisance.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

I currently have a Cat code P430 and waiting on dealership to locate a loaner for me.

I'm going to be arguing that Ford needs to figure this out - it's becoming quite a nuisance.

Aftermarket tune and turn rear o2 sensors off.

Also how many miles on your plugs?
BiggiesLX
Are you sure they are actually replacing anything??
BiggiesLX
1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

But damn, replacement lasts 10k miles?

12th Man Ag
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

I guess I have to stop driving it in Eco mode!
one MEEN Ag
AG
Do you drive the car in eco mode? Generally that runs the engine a bit too lean and low for its liking. Can cause some problems down the line.
one MEEN Ag
AG
12th Man Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

I will say, sport mode where the turbos are set to jump in at a moments notice are fun. That mode is reserved for post kid drop off drives into work.
Ezra Brooks
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Ezra Brooks said:

Aftermarket tune and turn rear o2 sensors off.

Also how many miles on your plugs?
71K miles - haven't replaced plugs yet.
Ezra Brooks
AG
BiggiesLX said:

Are you sure they are actually replacing anything??
I mean, I suppose that's possible (I'm not climbing under to look each time) but I'm going to the dealer associated Quick Lane for this service, so I'm hoping they aren't shafting me.
Matsui
AG
ESH - keep us posted
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

12th Man Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

I will say, sport mode where the turbos are set to jump in at a moments notice are fun. That mode is reserved for post kid drop off drives into work.

Please explain how sport mode sets the turbos?
one MEEN Ag
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

12th Man Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

The sport mode engages the turbos faster on the new expeditions. You drive around on normal mode you get used to a significant turbo lag. You put it on sport mode and the turbos engage at the slightest touch of the gas pedal. Gas pedal becomes very twitchy (for a full size SUv). On the gauge cluster there's a power meter showing how much the turbos are engaged. You can watch it do practically nothing when mashing the gas in normal mode and leap into use when in sport mode just barely touching the pedal. The link is that touchier gas pedal (throttle response) creates more RPMs quicker which dumps more exhaust across the turbos which means your kids get to soccer practice on time.
Picard
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

12th Man Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

The sport mode engages the turbos faster on the new expeditions. You drive around on normal mode you get used to a significant turbo lag. You put it on sport mode and the turbos engage at the slightest touch of the gas pedal. Gas pedal becomes very twitchy (for a full size SUv). On the gauge cluster there's a power meter showing how much the turbos are engaged. You can watch it do practically nothing when mashing the gas in normal mode and leap into use when in sport mode just barely touching the pedal. The link is that touchier gas pedal (throttle response) creates more RPMs quicker which dumps more exhaust across the turbos which means your kids get to soccer practice on time.

I......I have no words!!!!!!!
one MEEN Ag
AG
Picard said:

one MEEN Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

12th Man Ag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

12th Man Ag said:

I......I have no words!!!!!!!
Point to my error here. Expedition has electronic throttle response and electronic shifting. Daily driving is all about smoothness. Sport mode increases throttle response, tightens up shifts, delays shifting so you go to higher RPMs before shifting to a higher gear. Even idle RPMs are higher to keep the fluid coupling in the torque converter on the hairy edge of applying enough torque to start wheel rotation.

All this culminates in more exhaust to the turbos sooner, which engages the turbos faster, which makes the expedition jump in horsepower sooner when pressing the accelerator.
bigfoot10s
AG
Engine light went off yesterday on the way to get dinner

Then came back on in the drive thru.

Already canceled my appt with Ford on Saturday morning, going to do some premium gas and additive next time we fill up and go from there
Ezra Brooks
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Engine light went off yesterday on the way to get dinner

Then came back on in the drive thru.

Already canceled my appt with Ford on Saturday morning, going to do some premium gas and additive next time we fill up and go from there
Ours comes and goes - but it always comes back.
Picard
AG
On a 2020, Ford already has record of the code in the cloud unless you've disabled all of the telematics.

Recommend you get this addressed before the emissions warranty runs out.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.