2002 F150 King ranch exterior restoration

2,111 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by MTTANK
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello,

I posted this truck on here years ago and ended up doing absolutely nothing. But I have decided to restore my 2002 F150 King Ranch that has 258,000 miles on it assuming I can get it done for a reasonable price. And no I am not sure what reasonable is, but it needs a new front window, new paint, work on the back window, and new leather in the front seats.

I have an answer for the leather but need recommendations for someone to do the work in the Austin-Waco corridor. I am in Temple and everyone around me is busy with hail. I would prefer Waco over Austin.

I came to this conclusion mainly because I trust this truck a lot. I know everything that has been done to it and it runs fantastic. I do not want to buy a newer one and end up with a bunch of problems that I have already addressed on this one. Also, my 18 yo Temple HIgh grad barber at Super Cuts said 'that truck is a classic'.

Going to give it to my daughter for Christmas and need about six years out of it before retiring it to the farm.

Any recs, or if you think I am wrong, are appreciated. Pics coming in just a second.
agsalaska
AG

texags08
AG
That was my dream truck when I was young…

Still have a soft spot for the OG SuperCrew.

The "classic" comment hurts a little. Don't want to feel that old.
water turkey
Cool truck. I had the identical Lariat version (2003). It was a great truck.
texags08
AG
Sold our 03 Expy 5.4 with ~310K miles. Still ran like a champ.
Ag for Life
AG
Love the color combo!

I would use Doug at Classic Collison in BCS. Close enough drive and they do fantastic work. When I hit the lotto I'm shipping him 4 projects immediately.
agsalaska
AG
Will reach out to him next week. Thanks for the rec.
txyaloo
AG
Are you just planning on doing the hood? May sound crazy, but the Maaco in Waco does decent work for the money. The Maaco in Killeen not so much. If you want to paint the whole truck, this is the route I'd go. A traditional body shop/restoration shop would charge a lot to paint this correctly.

Hill Country Collision on the east side of Lampasas also does work like this. I had them paint the hood and roof of my X5. Paint work was good other than around the sunroof seal that they didn't remove or tape back properly. Communication needed work. They're a big shop and didn't look crazy busy recently. They typically have cars stacked in the lot. Had the work done a few years ago, car sits outside not washed, and no paint failure or other issues so far.

If you're open to wrapping it instead, I know a mobile guy in Killeen that's fair and does good work. Prob $2-3k to wrap the whole truck from him any color you want.

If you just need new door glass, Safelite is about the cheapest I've found in the area. You can usually find a $20-30 off coupon online, and they always seem to discount onsite too if you're nice and help with the work some. I've also used the glass shop in Copperas Cove that drives the trucks that look like fake DPS cars. They did a good job on a shattered rear hatch

The JY in Belton has a good selection of these trucks and you should be able to get the glass there. Not an overly complicated job to do the door glass. The door panels on those trucks don't even have any clips. Just a few screws and it lifts right off the door. It's awesome.

I'd swap out those headlights too! The Lightning or Harley variants look way better. Those yellow lights really age the truck.
Buck Turgidson
That is a cool truck. Love the color combo. I bet you can polish those headlights and get them clear again for minimal $. I have two 16 year old boys who are about to start driving who would be all over a truck like that. I wish Ford would offer the King Ranch in Maroon today.

BrazosDog02
AG

Personally, I would have the truck painted. This has 433,000 all original miles.....original engine and transmission. Wife Bought it brand new and no matter how hard you try, unless you store it in a vacuum, it's going to get damaged and age. This still polishes well, but it needs paint. Years at A&M Red Lot and love bugs have not done the paint any favors.

I am in the process of slowly restoring. I am going with Katskin leather in a couple of weeks. The factory leather has worn out where I slide out of the seat and I am going to lose the OEM badging but it is what it is. All interior dash parts that flake and peel can be repainted by your paint and body guy. Dents, if you have them, can be pulled and I would personally repaint it and I would spend a reasonable amount to do it. Cheap paint looks like ass. Doug is who I would recommend. If you don't want to spend the coin or the drive, I would at least find a place that does restoration work and will make it look good. It doesn't need to be show quality, but 'good' and MAACO are pretty far apart on the quality side.

But, no, I think keeping it nice is a good idea. I have zero desire to buy a 'new' truck of any kind. The newest Ford trucks I will seriously consider are 2007 year models.

Interior: Katskin
Dash: Paint
Headlights: Go aftermarket. These are discontinued OEM but you can find them on Ebay. I have bought a few used but nice ones, and they don't last long before yellowing. You can polish them, but htey will still be yellow. Aftermarket are cheaper and last longer. Just go that route.
Body Paint: Paint the hood and the top of the cab. If your sides will polish out OK, then you can get away with that. Just have them fade it and it will look ok. However, the top will look new and the sides won't even if they match otherwise, so be aware.
txyaloo
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Cheap paint looks like ass. Doug is who I would recommend. If you don't want to spend the coin or the drive, I would at least find a place that does restoration work and will make it look good. It doesn't need to be show quality, but 'good' and MAACO are pretty far apart on the quality side.
Have you priced paint work recently or personally looked at Maaco quality? Each of them is independently owned and has different standards. Some put out decent work for the price. Several years ago I went to the Waco, Killeen, and Bryan Maaco's to check their work and pricing. Waco Maaco did acceptable work for the price. You aren't getting a show car finish for $3-4k, but it'll look shiny and protect the metal. Killeen/Bryan were pretty piss poor. I think the Bryan location is out of business now.

I suspect a legit shop like Doug's would charge $10-15k to paint a screw correctly. He quoted me $8k 4-5 years ago to deal with some lightly flaking clear on one of my cars. That was for an ~80% respray on a smaller coupe. Good work is expensive. (my local body shop wanted $4k to spray the hood, roof, c pillar and blend into the rear quarter on the same car. that was with me stripping the car for them and reassembling).

Is a 20yr old truck that's worth ~$5k worth throwing $10-15k in paint on? I don't think so in 2024 unless you're making a show or SEMA truck. Also, just because you go to a know body shop doesn't mean you're going to get quality work for the money. I've unfortunately experienced this first hand way too many times.

------------------
OP - Overdrive Customs in Copperas Cove is a smaller shop that puts out good work too. Not sure on price, but work checking out. They just moved to a new bigger shop during covid. Installed a brand new paint booth.

https://www.facebook.com/Over.Drive.org/
BrazosDog02
AG
I only had two I saw, one was a buddy that used them to paint a 66 Chevelle SS, the paint flaked off the door 3 weeks later when he slammed it. The other was a late model truck, it was sound but didn't look great. When I lay to paint my truck, I expect it to at least look as good as it did from the factory and in most case better.

Personally, I'd spend 12k for paint, on my 2002. That's knowing I will need an engine rebuild and a new transmission before long. I'll spend 30k on my 400,000 mile truck before I spent 100k on a new one. Just my personal preference. I like restoring and fixing up old stuff. I can always go buy a new truck, but I can't just go get another nice 2002 truck. It just depends on where you want to spend your money. That's a question I can't answer for anyone.

Restoring vehicles is never ever ever about getting what it's worth. I can put a new set of tires on my truck and exceed the current value. Lol.

I've spent four years trying to find a nice 2007 F350. Ive not found one yet. When I do, I expect to pay over 30k for it.
agsalaska
AG
Appreciate the responses and I apologize for the delay. Had kids going everywhere this weekend.

The entire truck needs to be painted, but I am more interested in giving my kids a truck that looks ok and is protected than I am getting a brand new badass paint job. I think Monday I am going to call the MAACO in Waco.

I thought about wrapping it but I was talked out of it by the guy that was going to do it mostly because this truck see a fair amount of farm work. It also has some dings and dents on it that I am not going to fix.

My daughter is turning 16 and my son is 12. The plan is six years of good high school kid use and then it probably gets retired to permanent farm use or possibly sold on here if that makes more sense. But right now I need something done to make it presentable.

Thanks again. I will update this week when I decide what direction I go.
Ciboag96
Who else read the OP and then immediately scrolled down looking for a 1ags post
Jack Boyett
AG
My daughter is driving an '01 Z71 to high school. The paint is worse than yours. I was fully expecting to get it painted, but she honestly doesn't care. I would not drive it like that but you have to remember girls are don't think the same when it comes to cars
Canyon99
AG
I'd recommend simply replacing the headlight assemblies as they are fairly cheap and will last much longer than a so-called restore. That, along with your paint job, will make a huge difference aesthetically.
aggiechugger
AG
The way new truck prices are now I may be driving my 2012 F150 for a lot longer also.
txyaloo
AG
We're of the same mindset. Just was trying to give the OP a realistic answer in his area. Doesn't make sense to put a $10-12k paint job on the OPs truck at this point in its life.

I think we dive into projects at the same depth. I recently taught myself how to wrap cars because I have a few cosmetic hoopties that need paint work, I want them painted at a nice shop but don't want to drive around cosmetic beaters, and refuse to pay a shop $5k in labor for something I'm capable of doing. I'm all on board with a nice repaint when it makes sense A repaint of my "rare" Outlaw edition 6.0 F250 is on my list at some point so I 100% understand where you're coming from.

agsalaska
AG
Thanks again for the suggestion for MAACO in Waco. Drove up there this morning and got a quote for paint, new front headlight covers, and a new windshield for $4800. The paint job comes with a five year warranty which is all I really need for it right now.

That's exactly what I was hoping to find.

Take it in Sep 9. Will post after pictures.
big ben
AG
The more I look at new truck prices and the problems so many are having, the more I'd rather baby my 10 yr old truck and keep for a looong time
tamuags08
AG
Quote:

new truck prices and the problems so many are having
Man to me the bolded part is even more worrisome besides the fact that trucks cost entirely too much. You fork over $65K for a new truck to immediately have several problems, all within the warranty period. Is it basically just recommended these days to go with an extended warranty with all the electronics?
MTTANK
AG
agsalaska said:

Thanks again for the suggestion for MAACO in Waco. Drove up there this morning and got a quote for paint, new front headlight covers, and a new windshield for $4800. The paint job comes with a five year warranty which is all I really need for it right now.

That's exactly what I was hoping to find.

Take it in Sep 9. Will post after pictures.
You mentioned needing a back window? Any other parts you need? I have a few supercharged lightnings/Harley Davidson edition Round noses that I'm parting out. Let me know, I'll hook you up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.