Opinion on Audi Q5 - used

2,647 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by nortex97
TMfrisco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Specifically the plug-in hybrid.
Wife will soon be in the market for a different vehicle and we have considered a lot of the mid-size SUVs.
She doesn't like the Lexus.
Sister just got a Genesis GV70. Likes it, but not a plug-in hybrid option.
Volvo XC60 seems a little smaller.
Wants some level of "Luxury".
Haven't looked at the VW options yet.
Not going BMW, Jag, etc.

From some quick research, it looks like the Audi costs less than the GV70. That will be a factor.

Thanks in advance
jrrhouston98
AG
I would stay away. Audi doesn't have the best reliability track record. Plenty of other options out there.
txyaloo
AG
Q5 is the same basic car as the Porsche Macan. Relatively reliable. IDK what options are available on the PHEV Q5, but some of the higher option packages on the performance versions have really nice interiors.
chet98
AG
Am driving a 10 year old Q5 (obviously not a PHEV) and love it. Granted we've got really low miles on it at about 70k but bought CPO'd and would definitely do it again. It's the 3.0 supercharged engine. Very fun to drive and has been fine reliability-wise. Have had to put some money in but nothing too outrageous.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Curious why a PHEV and not a Hybrid?

Would agree with the above, a used German vehicle isn't the most reliable, doubly so for a complex plug in EV
TMfrisco
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Curious why a PHEV and not a Hybrid?

Would agree with the above, a used German vehicle isn't the most reliable, doubly so for a complex plug in EV
I don't believe they make a true Hybrid for the Q5. If I am correct, the plug-in also works as a hybrid after the electrical charge is consumed.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TMfrisco said:

Wife will soon be in the market for a different vehicle and we have considered a lot of the mid-size SUVs.
Not going BMW, Jag, etc.

From some quick research, it looks like the Audi costs less than the GV70. That will be a factor.

Thanks in advance
Why the hell not?
drumboy
AG
If you get it put a mild tune on it for more smiles. I had an APR tune on my 5 speed A4 1.8T and enjoyed it.

Also budget for expensive repairs regardless of the tune.
TMfrisco
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

TMfrisco said:

Not going BMW, Jag, etc.

Thanks in advance
Why the hell not?
I don't question such things! But, you will appreciate she has driven 5 different Avalons! Our daughter drives the 2014 now, but as a Sr at A&M, really wants my wife's 2019!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Run
texags08
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

TMfrisco said:

Not going BMW, Jag, etc.

Thanks in advance
Why the hell not?

Because Toyota fanboys are annoying…
TMfrisco
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Run
You don't like the Q5? What reasons?
AggieDruggist89
AG
texags08 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

TMfrisco said:

Not going BMW, Jag, etc.

Thanks in advance
Why the hell not?

Because Toyota fanboys are annoying…
I hope so!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TMfrisco said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Run
You don't like the Q5? What reasons?

Over 70K miles they'll start nickel and diming you to death.
Trim pieces start peeling or creaking. Clips break on trim.
Random engine oil consumption issues abound.
foulbeast
AG
We have a '23 Q5 hybrid and have been very happy with it. But we did lease it for 3 years because I don't trust the battery life long term in our hot climate.

It is my wife's DD and she gets about 27-30 miles in town on a full battery before the ICE kicks in - which gets her back and forth to work most days including kicking on the A/C from her office in the afternoon before she leaves.

We are at around 12k miles on it with no issues. It is fun to drive and really fast in the performance mode, but still has plenty of power in electric or gas-only modes too. It does have regen braking but the ICE doesn't charge the hybrid battery. One thing I've been impressed with is the transition from electric to gas - it is so smooth I don't feel the engine come on. But once it discharges the battery in the electric mode it simply shuts down the ICE when stopped and kicks it on at about 10-20mph.

It charges in under 2 hours if you use the 240v plug and set it to 100%. I've set our charger to 50% based on the guidance from Audi.

We went with it based on the fact that my wife could commute each day on the battery, but still have the flexibility to take trips without having to worry about charging. So - it has been great for our use case.

Scruffy
AG
I don't like the volvo because you cannot turn off the auto start/stop.
texags08
AG
If you put it in whatever their "sport" mode is it turns off the auto start stop.
Scruffy
AG
Good to know if I'm ever in a rental again. Thanks
theJonatron
AG
my mom is on her 3rd Q5 and she loves them, however, she trades them in for newer models before they ever hit 60K miles.

German cars break often with hefty maintenance bills. With my experience with VW, I will never own another German car outside of a vintage Mercedes or BMW.

If I was going to own a "luxury" SUV, I'd get a Genesis, Acura, or Lexus. They are superior in more ways.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG

drumboy
AG
Way cooler and drives better than a Q5. Add top box for more storage.
Chrundle the Great
AG
My q5 is the only car I've owned, including amongst another Audi with the same motor, that doesn't have a quick oil drain plug cover.

The whole goofy felt splash shield has to come off and it's like 15 self tapping screws. And of course it's covered in oil every time because it's an Audi. I'm 20 mins into an oil change before I even get the drain plug open.

That said OP, this car still has its pluses. Used they are super cheap for what you get, and the interior on our hybrid prestige is amazing for a 10 year old car. Just be aware the 2.0 T likes to send oil out of every imaginable orifice and Audi says point blank in the manual "1 quart added every 1200 miles is normal usage"

If you can live with that it's a good vehicle.
drumboy
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Used they are super cheap for what you get

Just be aware the 2.0 T likes to send oil out of every imaginable orifice and Audi says point blank in the manual "1 quart added every 1200 miles is normal usage"
aggiedata
AG
There is reason why they a "super cheap" for a used one.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aggiedata said:

AggieDruggist89
AG
aggiedata said:

• Automobile ownership cost equals not purchase price only.
aggiedata
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

aggiedata said:

agracer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I mean, that's just to change out the headlamps.....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
agracer said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I mean, that's just to change out the headlamps.....

Wait till the IMRC actuator fails on the 4.0 TFSI engines.
Canyon99
AG
Similar question on a 2020 Volkswagon Tiguan AWD for my daughter. I'm expecting 1ags will have the same response ("run!") but will pose the question anyway. My guess is folks will respond and tell me to look at the CX-5 and Rav4.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Just be aware the 2.0 T likes to send oil out of every imaginable orifice and Audi says point blank in the manual "1 quart added every 1200 miles is normal usage"
The OCD in me is horrified by this comment! Run far far away!
TMfrisco
AG
Went with the GV70.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Canyon99 said:

Similar question on a 2020 Volkswagon Tiguan AWD for my daughter. I'm expecting 1ags will have the same response ("run!") but will pose the question anyway. My guess is folks will respond and tell me to look at the CX-5 and Rav4.
Canyon99
AG
Thanks. Just out of curiosity, what are the bigger issues with the current gen Tiguans? I want to sound informed when I spout knowledge to my family!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Canyon99 said:

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, what are the bigger issues with the current gen Tiguans? I want to sound informed when I spout knowledge to my family!
i commonly see interior trim issues, water pump, throttle body, and of course oil consumption.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.