Anyone watch Vice Grip Garage videos?

2,162 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bevokilla
Aggie Dad 26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just finished up the lime green C3 Corvette video that was over 2 hrs long! That's probably the most complicated journey I've seen him take. The car was a mess!

His videos are intresting and he's really good at what he does. For those that aren't familiar, you can simply search Vice Grip Garage on YouTube. There's a huge following there.
Complete Idiot
This is the auto board.

So yes.

Videos are fun, it's wild what he can get going over long distances (with questionable safety).
Aggie Dad 26
Complete Idiot said:

This is the auto board.

So yes.

Videos are fun, it's wild what he can get going over long distances (with questionable safety).

My question was nothing more than an ice breaker.
Complete Idiot
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Complete Idiot said:

This is the auto board.

So yes.

My question was nothing more than an ice breaker.
I guess mine was nothing more than a ball breaker.
txyaloo
AG
VGG used to be see a new video, immediately click thing for me. That's really shifted the last few months. I find it hard to get through them now with the format change. Working in his fancy shop on stuff from his boneyard just isn't the same as the old revivals which are mostly paywalled now at Motor Trend.

Happy Derek got the bag. He seems like a genuinely nice feller and those road trips are hard as you get older. Just sad about the change in content.

Watch Wes Work is still "small" if anyone isn't watching him.
Jack Boyett
AG
Patched up a rusty frame one time with some duct tape.

JB
AG
"I bought this very special battery for this specific vehicle, ….not really it's just the cheapest thing they have"….as he chunks the old battery in the dirt and drops an economy SuperStart in

It's dumb but that part always makes me laugh.
Ag for Life
AG
txyaloo said:

VGG used to be see a new video, immediately click thing for me. That's really shifted the last few months. I find it hard to get through them now with the format change. Working in his fancy shop on stuff from his boneyard just isn't the same as the old revivals which are mostly paywalled now at Motor Trend.

Happy Derek got the bag. He seems like a genuinely nice feller and those road trips are hard as you get older. Just sad about the change in content.

Watch Wes Work is still "small" if anyone isn't watching him.

Same here, I definitely don't watch every video like I used to. The constant AG1 sponsorships annoy me as well. They're easily skipped, but that is straight up snake oil garbage.
sts7049
AG
i don't think his content has changed that much. he still does plenty of road rescues on the original channel along with his motor trend series. sure the VGG channel has evolved and does other content too now, and i can understand why. you cant sustain doing 100% rescuing barn finds.
Aggiemike96
AG
JB said:

"I bought this very special battery for this specific vehicle, ….not really it's just the cheapest thing they have"….as he chunks the old battery in the dirt and drops an economy SuperStart in

And it has a "go handle".

I'll be dipped!
Complete Idiot
"Bat-tree"
TRIDENT
AG
Charging whirler and lightning hoses
Tim Weaver
In a similar vein is Junkyard Digs. JYD is still au naturale and has some entertaining videos.

I love the trend of buying an old rotted RV, making it run, and going to a Nascar race with his buddies!
Aggie Dad 26
"Fellers and Fellets"
MTTANK
AG
A guy is awesome! One of my favorites
Aggie Dad 26
Is there ever an update on what he ends up doing with these vehicles? I'm just as curious to what ends up happening with the cars after getting them home
as I am seeing him reviving them
PuryearAg98
AG
Speaking of YouTube videos….

Lonestar Hawaiian has me believing I'm an empty lot away from building a 60x80 shop for all my future rides. Really enjoy his "one man, I don't make enough to afford for someone to build it, so I'll do it."
will.mcg
AG
He reminds me a little bit of Red Green from the Red Green Show.....probably the accent.
htownag99
AG
I got hooked on watching VGG during the pandemic, when there was nothing to do. Now, I look forward to every Friday for a new video. His format has changed a bit the past few months, with way less revivals, and more time in the barn, but I think a guy was just getting burned out doing revivals and being away from his family so much. He knows he has to do them every now and them, because his views are tripled on the revival videos.

Derek is a great guy, and I'd love to spend a day with him, and have a few wobblepops. I am guilty of using his derek-isms around the house, and now have my kids saying I'll be dipped.
htownag99
AG
I think they just sit on his property, and every now and then does a fire sale on several vehicles. Sometimes he'll talk about what he is selling, and others he sells without say anything.
txyaloo
AG
A guy is doing the revivals on his PPV Motor Trend show where he gets paid. There's two seasons worth of episodes.

I think that's a big reason the content changed. Once he started getting that Motor Trend money, and sponsorships, builds got bigger/more extravagant. Not like a guy working in his pole barn on a shoe string budget even though he's trying to fake it well

I think I really lost interest when he said he just cut up the nascar truck in an off handed comment in someone else's video. It deserved some "closure" to the story. It feels like a lot of other long time projects have gone that way too like Independence
htownag99
AG
I agree, I've seen all his MT episodes as well, and he puts most his revival energy in those. He still knows he makes a ton of $$ on revivals on his YT channel as well, so he has to keep feeding that every now and then as well as his MT commitment, hence the content change. He does like to "fake" that he is budget minded, for us common folk, but it clearly shows he has a lot of $$ with stuff you see in the background. The nice John Deere tractors he never talk about, the GMC Denali he bought from his grandma, etc.
I still watch his videos, and look forward to them, but not at the pace I was watching them. For a 2 hour pole barn video, it may take me a week to finish. A 2 hour revival, I'll watch in a day.

I also don't like how he loses interest in other projects he's started. Yeah, he's got a million other things going on, but will we ever see Liberty again? What about the Model A's?
Aggie Dad 26
If he would start making videos on vehicles he's already squared through the revival trips I think he would draw a lot more people in.

He doesn't even have to go crazy with builds. At least show us how the vehicle cleaned up and what a few hundred or a few thousand dollars did for it.
Burdizzo
AG
will.mcg said:

He reminds me a little bit of Red Green from the Red Green Show.....probably the accent.

I think in one of his videos he mentions that where he grew up in North Dakota they watched a lot of Red Green.

"This is only temporary unless it works."
Burdizzo
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Patched up a rusty frame one time with some duct tape.

I watched several of his videos before I saw the one that really got me hooked, and that was the Chevelle that became Independence. Holy cow, what a cancerous automobile that was. I can't believe he didn't get kicked out of the motel parking lot after wrenching on it for two days and that he actually drove that unsafe pile of rust on the road.
Burdizzo
AG
There are a couple others I watch with regularity.

One is Jim's Automotive Machine Shop. A semi-retired machinist in Colorado shows a lot of machine shop knowledge as his tech-savvy millennial son shares it on YouTube.

The other is a poor man's VGG knock off - Pole Barn Garage. The guy steals a little schtick from VGG. He wears wife beater shirts on most of his videos and is much less polished. His shop looks like crap. IIRC, he is actually an electrician or electrical engineer in Missouri. That said, he has some real beaters. One of them is a 1970 GTO riddled with bullet holes that he dragged out of a salvage yard in Texas. It is a rolling tetanus factory. He called it the Holey Goat.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1970-pontiac-gto-muscle-car-found-texas/
txyaloo
AG
Mortske's Garage somewhat falls into the VGG territory as well.

While not restorations, I somehow just recently found Carwow. Really enjoy the supercar race videos and "all XX cars in a series" videos that compare different generation of the same model. Brings me back to the early 2000s on car forums where we all paper drag/roll raced these cars and now someone is actually doing it legally IRL. It's amazing to see how much HP/car tech actually increases in each generation.

https://www.youtube.com/@carwow

Watch Wes Work reminds me of an Aggie engineer. He'd fit in here. Mechanic-ing, machine-ing, building, heavy equipment, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@WatchWesWork

The first couple videos of the Grind Hard Plumbing Co HMMWV road trip series were pretty good. Picked 2 up from govplanet and tried to go to Moab to wheel them. Check out the Hyabusa powered tiny car too

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL5hF_waT6s73F9NBEN-hdZZeRijx1wwM

bevokilla
AG
My two go to Automotive youtube channels are Cleetus McFarland and LegitStreetCars. I like that LegitStreetCars actually shows him fixing the car and diagnosing the issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.