new car market - negotiate off msrp?

2,287 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SockDePot
BMF_AG95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last time I bought a new car was 2020 and there very little room to negotiate off MSRP. Dealer lots are getting full, manufacturers and dealers are back to doing off the top discounts. How much room is there to negotiate now? Would 10% off msrp be good, in addition to the published discounts and rebates?

Specifically I'm looking at F150s that are in stock. A few 2023s are still around.

Side note - I've reached out to 1ags but wanting to hear some thoughts on how room.
austinag1997
AG
BMF_AG95 said:

Last time I bought a new car was 2020 and there very little room to negotiate off MSRP. Dealer lots are getting full, manufacturers and dealers are back to doing off the top discounts. How much room is there to negotiate now? Would 10% off msrp be good, in addition to the published discounts and rebates?

Specifically I'm looking at F150s that are in stock. A few 2023s are still around.

Side note - I've reached out to 1ags but wanting to hear some thoughts on how room.

I would consider shopping out of state if you are in Texas.
reproag
AG
BMF_AG95 said:

Contact info in my profile
agnerd
AG
Check the big Houston and Dallas dealer websites for advertised prices. They will usually have a bunch of worthless add-ons, but use their advertised prices to negotiate with other dealers. Some vehicles still sell for way over sticker, some are way under sticker.
FightinTAC08
AG
agree with agnerd.

depends on what you want. want an XLT? already 10-15k off sticker many places. want a loaded lariat, tremor, platinum? good luck.

for DFW pricing i always look at bob tomes ford in McKinney. they've consistently had the best online inventory and online advertised discounts over the years.
aggiepaintrain
AG
first thing to ask…

Do you have any forced dealer add on's (tint, nitrogen filled tires, door sill protection, GPS, fabric protection), APEX, Resistol, or ADM fee?
If yes, then on to next dealer.

I'd negotiate starting with invoice and pay no more than $500 over invoice minus rebates. If you pay more than $2k for a 6/100k (or comparable) warranty you threw money away.

BMF_AG95
AG
Thanks. What is best source to get invoice now days?
PeekingDuck
AG
Flux capacitors
dr_boogs
AG
Negotiate purchase cost separate from trade in. Don't mention trade in vehicle I til you have an agreed upon price for the new vehicle.

Take your trade in to carmax and get a physical appraisal. Use that as a baseline to make sure you get at least that value w sales tax basis points on your trade. Shop your trade in around to a few places and get an offer on writing. Vauto is a common system dealerships use for appraisals and offers.

If financing, get pre approval for a loan at your bank or credit union and use that as a negotiating point and see if dealership will beat it. You can press the finance guy and ask what the buy and sell rate is for the loan they are offering, and negotiate down off the sell toward the dealer's buy rate.

Agree w comments about bs add ons.
dr_boogs
AG
Double post.
HollywoodBQ
AG
dr_boogs said:

If financing, get pre approval for a loan at your bank or credit union and use that as a negotiating point and see if dealership will beat it.
In February 2020 when I bought most recent vehicle, I walked in with my financing approved from my bank.

Big volume Houston dealer offered to try to beat what I already had. OK.

They couldn't beat the financing I already had but in the process, during the hour I was in the finance guy's office, they ran my credit 15 times.

I didn't know this until 5 months later when I refinanced my house and the mortgage lender wanted to know why my credit had been run 15 times in one day. That was a hassle.

So, be warned about slimy dealer finance practices.
PatriotAg98
AG
BMF_AG95 said:

Thanks. What is best source to get invoice now days?
Curious as well-
dr_boogs
AG
Wow.
ags4rocks
AG

Seems to be quite a few 2023 F-150 on market. Is 23 a good year or they still having issues?
Sea Speed
AG
Just fyi, doggett in Beaumont is packed to the gills with trucks right now. May be worth trying them.
SockDePot
FightinTAC08 said:

agree with agnerd.

depends on what you want. want an XLT? already 10-15k off sticker many places. want a loaded lariat, tremor, platinum? good luck.

for DFW pricing i always look at bob tomes ford in McKinney. they've consistently had the best online inventory and online advertised discounts over the years.

I got a loaded 2024 lariat for $8k off sticker
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.