Mercedes SUV

4,372 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Retired Principal
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have any issues with a good used vehicle. I like the power I'm seeing from the AMG engine.
txyaloo
AG
tlfw378 said:

I don't have any issues with a good used vehicle. I like the power I'm seeing from the AMG engine.
If you're interested in a Cayenne at all, this might be a good one to watch. They've already discounted it ~$6k to $64.9 and I think the price is still high. 585hp and red, very highly optioned ($175k sticker), carbon ceramic brakes. Your wife will see it in a sea of boring black, white, and gray. Drivetrains are actually pretty bullet proof/low maintenance other than the transfer case.

Porsche made <60 Turbo S Cayennes in 2018 so a pretty rare car. I enjoy driving weird cars you don't see every day.

https://www.morriesluxuryauto.com/inventory/WP1AC2A28JLA90004/?stocknum=JLA90004&atc_ownerid=70344905&utm_source=autotrader.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=autotrader_listings
JSKolache
AG
unless you are sitting on a pile of gold, avoid German and buy Lexus
austinag1997
AG
JSKolache said:

Not true. I don't have a pile of gold.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

tlfw378 said:

If you're interested in a Cayenne at all, this might be a good one to watch. They've already discounted it ~$6k to $64.9 and I think the price is still high. 585hp and red, very highly optioned ($175k sticker), carbon ceramic brakes. Your wife will see it in a sea of boring black, white, and gray. Drivetrains are actually pretty bullet proof/low maintenance other than the transfer case.

Porsche made <60 Turbo S Cayennes in 2018 so a pretty rare car. I enjoy driving weird cars you don't see every day.

https://www.morriesluxuryauto.com/inventory/WP1AC2A28JLA90004/?stocknum=JLA90004&atc_ownerid=70344905&utm_source=autotrader.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=autotrader_listings

I like the Cayenne platform. I enjoy mine. One owner car!
tree91
AG
I had a 2014 ML350. The ride was great, but it was the biggest POS I've ever owned. I won't have another Mercedes because of it. Look hard at Lexus if they haven't inherited the Toyota issues.

Seriously, my 95 Wrangler was much more reliable.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

An educated man. Just joking. I haven't had to tackle the battery yet, but its coming. Thanks for the advice. Do you have a PIWIS system? I have a scan tool for my 986, but its in a different state. Ok about the AMG tag. I bought that SUV for my daughter, but drove it a week. Its fast in Sport+ mode and sounds close to as nasty as my 996 Mezger from an exhaust standpoint. And my Mezger is close to full open exhaust. Good to know there is another Porsche guy here!

I'm just becoming a Porsche guy. . Am a BMW guy at heart. I do have.a PIWIS3 and a PPN account. I

What does it cost to have a PIWIS acct? And what version of PIWIS? If you ever have Porsche questions... reach out. The Cayenne is a driver.
~$450 for a T6PT3G dongle. PIWIS3 was "free"/found on the internet. PPN account was free. I think I just needed a tax ID. Everything seems to work fine. Have done some light coding in dev/German mode. I mainly got PIWIS do try and do some facelift upgrades on the CTTS - primarily figuring out which modules need to be upgraded to enable launch control. It's easier to code/do diags with my Launch tablet.

I had major post purchase regret on the CTTS (first pick was X5M) until I got it on a twisty road. Even with the terrible Aisn transmission, the PTV+ was absolutely insane while manually shifting gears in the twisties. I swear I could feel the rear end pull me around corners. Never felt that in another SUV. Was very impressive. If it had a ZF or PDK, and BMW technology like iDrive, the car would be an amazing winner. Porsche "driving experience" tech is just a decade behind BMW.

My experience on the tech is similar. I'm kinda not a good test case as my go fast cars are both 2002 era. Cayenne is 2016 so I had hoped it got better in later years. My biggest gripe is bluetooth doesn't engage at startup. Navigation isn't great either. Performance is unmatched. All manual transaxles sans the Cayenne. Thanks for the PIWIS info.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
BMW X7 for the win
austinag1997
AG
Yeah, we test drove the X1 and X3. Cabin size too small. Believed you had to get to X5/X7 for any normal size. Those models exceeded the cost for vehicles for my daughter.
rebag00
AG
I have owned 3, an old ML that was as solid a vehicle as I have owned, great SUV, took it along the river road in Big Bend, across the Rockies and back and forth to South Carolina in two days.
I had a 2016 GL350, it was solid as well, but had to replace all 4 corners of air bag suspension, which was not inexpensive. After that and another active suspension replacement, I only buy vehicles with simple suspensions.
My kiddo drives a 2019 GLC300 4Matic, great little SUV. It's a little small for me but performs well and has been very low maintenance/no issues.

Stay away from the AMG ones, you'll be replacing tires all the time...
AgGrad99
AG
My family has had a few Mercedes in recent years, and my dad went away from his, in favor of a Audi Q7.

I rode in a friend's Volvo XC90 this past weekend, and man....it was as luxurious, and as nice of a ride as I've been in. Really really impressed with that SUV.

I also rode in a Genesis GV80, and really liked that ride as well.
austinag1997
AG
That is somewhat true for any AWD vehicle. Subaru, Cayenne, etc. Tread differential is an issue on AWD vehicles.
Buck Turgidson
austinag1997 said:

JSKolache said:

You might if you hadn't bought a German car.

austinag1997
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

austinag1997 said:

JSKolache said:

You might if you hadn't bought a German car.

Nice one! 911 hitting the shop in the morning but shouldn't cost me much.
austinag1997
AG
rebag00 said:

I have owned 3, an old ML that was as solid a vehicle as I have owned, great SUV, took it along the river road in Big Bend, across the Rockies and back and forth to South Carolina in two days.
I had a 2016 GL350, it was solid as well, but had to replace all 4 corners of air bag suspension, which was not inexpensive. After that and another active suspension replacement, I only buy vehicles with simple suspensions.
My kiddo drives a 2019 GLC300 AWD, great little SUV. It's a little small for me, but preforms well and has been very low maintenance/issues.

Ugh on airmatic suspension.
CyAg86
AG
Cayenne is a great car. New ones now more than $85K though. If you can find a nice CPO, they have 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty. Macan S is real nice, a bit smaller than the Cayenne. Audi's are nice as well.
txyaloo
AG
austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

An educated man. Just joking. I haven't had to tackle the battery yet, but its coming. Thanks for the advice. Do you have a PIWIS system? I have a scan tool for my 986, but its in a different state. Ok about the AMG tag. I bought that SUV for my daughter, but drove it a week. Its fast in Sport+ mode and sounds close to as nasty as my 996 Mezger from an exhaust standpoint. And my Mezger is close to full open exhaust. Good to know there is another Porsche guy here!

I'm just becoming a Porsche guy. . Am a BMW guy at heart. I do have.a PIWIS3 and a PPN account. I

What does it cost to have a PIWIS acct? And what version of PIWIS? If you ever have Porsche questions... reach out. The Cayenne is a driver.
~$450 for a T6PT3G dongle. PIWIS3 was "free"/found on the internet. PPN account was free. I think I just needed a tax ID. Everything seems to work fine. Have done some light coding in dev/German mode. I mainly got PIWIS do try and do some facelift upgrades on the CTTS - primarily figuring out which modules need to be upgraded to enable launch control. It's easier to code/do diags with my Launch tablet.

I had major post purchase regret on the CTTS (first pick was X5M) until I got it on a twisty road. Even with the terrible Aisn transmission, the PTV+ was absolutely insane while manually shifting gears in the twisties. I swear I could feel the rear end pull me around corners. Never felt that in another SUV. Was very impressive. If it had a ZF or PDK, and BMW technology like iDrive, the car would be an amazing winner. Porsche "driving experience" tech is just a decade behind BMW.

My experience on the tech is similar. I'm kinda not a good test case as my go fast cars are both 2002 era. Cayenne is 2016 so I had hoped it got better in later years. My biggest gripe is bluetooth doesn't engage at startup. Navigation isn't great either. Performance is unmatched. All manual transaxles sans the Cayenne. Thanks for the PIWIS info.
Have you looked at a carplay/android auto board for the PCM3.1? I'm using the isudar version. Work's great and installs fully in the PCM without an extra box. Carplay connects instantly and feels OE. If you're even somewhat mechanically inclined, the install takes <1.5hrs. I'd swap the hard drive with an SSD also before it fails. I never use the PCM other than for "backup" navigation. Only downside is the diamond button can't change the carplay track, but the buttons on the PCM work as does the touch screen.
Flaith
AG
Hear me out.... R63 AMG

If you have a week to read through one of the best car threads on the internet, I recommend this: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page1/
agracer
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Until recently I would have automatically directed you to Lexus for a high end, small to mid sized SUV. Now I'd have to research whether the recent Toyota engine issues are affecting Lexus models too. Mercedes definitely have a reputation for being costly to maintain.
I believe the Lexus V6 Turbo's are build in Japan and so far seem to be working just fine.

The smaller Lexus SUV's do not have the new V6 turbo.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

Have you looked at a carplay/android auto board for the PCM3.1? I'm using the isudar version. Work's great and installs fully in the PCM without an extra box. Carplay connects instantly and feels OE. If you're even somewhat mechanically inclined, the install takes <1.5hrs. I'd swap the hard drive with an SSD also before it fails. I never use the PCM other than for "backup" navigation. Only downside is the diamond button can't change the carplay track, but the buttons on the PCM work as does the touch screen.

Hadn't thought about that too much. Trying to get my 911 prepped for sale. Then I'll turn my attention to this! Thanks.
austinag1997
AG
And daughter has a fender bender...
Whoop Delecto
AG
austinag1997
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

austinag1997 said:

rebag00 said:

My kiddo drives a 2019 GLC300 AWD, great little SUV. It's a little small for me, but performs well and has been very low maintenance/issues.

Ugh on airmatic suspension.
$4,700 for all 4 airmatic bags on my GL550 this year.

Did you have to replace the compressor also? Did you use OEM bags or Arnott bags?
Whoop Delecto
AG
austinag1997
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

OEM thru Indie MB specialty shop. Compressor is fine.
Front struts $3360, rear bags $1382

Mechanic told me the Arnott bags have a lifetime warranty.
Whoop Delecto
AG
txyaloo
AG
austinag1997 said:

Whoop Delecto said:

OEM thru Indie MB specialty shop. Compressor is fine.
Front struts $3360, rear bags $1382

Mechanic told me the Arnott bags have a lifetime warranty.
I put Arnott on my X5 in 2016 (where does time go? thought I installed them 2-3 years ago). 8 years later and they're still holding strong. I replaced both rear springs, and installed a used compressor and accumulators at the same time. Car isn't driven much, and it doesn't sag after sitting for weeks. I wouldn't have an issue installing them on another car.
austinag1997
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

We didn't discuss them on GL, I asked about Arnott for the ABC replacement struts on my SL500 and was advised against. He said labor pulling the car apart for access wasn't worth it for the savings of rebuilt if the rebuilt failed. Maybe I overpaid.

Looks like the front struts are pricey... $1500ish. Rears are cheap.
tmtxco
AG
Our primary vehicle is a GLS 450 (7-seater), and my personal vehicle is an AMG GLE 63 S (5-seater).

The GLS is great for our family of four with plenty of storage or when we have guests such as my parents and need that third row of two seats. We bought our GLS at < 9k miles as a Certified Pre-Owned and now it's at almost 100k miles.

For my personal vehicle, I chose the GLE over the G Wagon because I needed something a little more subtle. It's a great 5-seater, essentially a shorter version of the GLS. The GLE is an AMG GLE 63 S and has over 600 horsepower stock. A cool thing if you are into travel and cars is that you can take a tour of the AMG factory in Affalterbach (near Stuttgart, Germany) by providing them with your AMG's VIN.

We are in College Station, and the local dealership is great to work with. We keep up with the recommended service and haven't had any issues.
Retired Principal
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Genesis GV80.

Those are sharp. Would love to have one, but my 2014 Tundra still runs great!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.