1064HP

2,415 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bevokilla
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vette? Factory ZR1? Dang….
tk for tu juan
Over 800 lb-ft torque from 3,000 to 7,000 rpm

Aggie Dad 26
I still can't believe GM produced the C8 Corvette. They have made plenty of great products throughout their history but this design was over the top. I still mistaken it for a Lambo at times when it's approaching me from afar
kyledr04
AG
Impressive but will be almost impossible to buy one. GM excels at not a actually making what people want.
dodger02
AG
kyledr04 said:

Impressive but will be almost impossible to buy one. GM excels at not a actually making what people want.
I don't understand this. These statements are seemingly incongruent.

Is this in relation to the Corvette? Are you saying huge numbers of people really want a >$200k ZR1 and Chevrolet isn't going to make enough of them? OK, fair, I guess. But how many people can afford a $200k car?

The ZR1 is a hypercar by every metric other than price (by hypercar standards). It will never be mass produced by the tens of thousands.

But if you're saying Chevrolet isn't making sports cars that people want, then I would disagree. If you want an affordable supercar, there's the Stingray, the Stingray with Z51, and the Z06. The ZR1 is just a "look what we can do" car. From $70k to >$200k, pick your flavor and color. Criticize GM for jettisoning the Camaro. Fine and fair.

I also don't understand the criticism about being "almost impossible to buy one" when you have Porsche building limited numbers of GT3s, GT4s, and S/Ts that you can't buy new unless you have previously purchased 2 Macans, a Cayenne, a Carrera, and a 911 GTS.
Yesterday
AG
ZR1 will be the most affordable and ready available hypercar built. They built 3000 2019 ZR1's and given the demand I would be surprised if they built less than that.

You can easily get a z06 which beats most super cars today if you want it. Chevy knocked it out of the park with this generation of corvettes.

It's the best corvette since the c3 came out in 1968.
Furlock Bones
AG
Amazing that GM can do this with the Vette and at the same time bring back the Blazer name for a crossover pile.
dodger02
AG
Yesterday said:

You can easily get a z06 which beats most super cars today if you want it. Chevy knocked it out of the park with this generation of corvettes.
This.

Many think the GT3 RS is the pinnacle of track capable supercars.

You can buy a Z06, an M3, and a GR86 - all three combined - for the price of a GT3 RS...before markups. And a Z06 will hold its own against a GT3 RS on track.

C8 Z06 -- $136k
M3 -- $80k
GR86 -- $32k
Total --- $248k

GT3 RS -- $241k
Aston 91
AG
1,064 hp on pump gas with a factory warranty is just insane. I'm overly nostalgic (still have my first car, a 1966 Chevy II that I got in 1985) but this thing blows any prior Corvette - and pretty much any car for the expected price - out of the water.
Complete Idiot
RIP drivers and/or car show curb standers
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Do you have to have a 5 point harness on that thing?
dodger02
AG
The videos I've seen have just a standard interior layout (albeit upgraded materials). Regular seatbelt.

It's a hypercar for someone who can't buy a Chiron or La Ferrari. Not a race car (off the showroom floor).

Edit: But like Aston91 says, it performs on pump gas (presumably 93 octane and not 110). No hybrid motors or E85 needed.
austinag1997
AG
dodger02 said:

kyledr04 said:

Is this in relation to the Corvette? Are you saying huge numbers of people really want a >$200k ZR1 and Chevrolet isn't going to make enough of them? OK, fair, I guess. But how many people can afford a $200k car?

The ZR1 is a hypercar by every metric other than price (by hypercar standards). It will never be mass produced by the tens of thousands.

But if you're saying Chevrolet isn't making sports cars that people want, then I would disagree. If you want an affordable supercar, there's the Stingray, the Stingray with Z51, and the Z06. The ZR1 is just a "look what we can do" car. From $70k to >$200k, pick your flavor and color. Criticize GM for jettisoning the Camaro. Fine and fair.

I also don't understand the criticism about being "almost impossible to buy one" when you have Porsche building limited numbers of GT3s, GT4s, and S/Ts that you can't buy new unless you have previously purchased 2 Macans, a Cayenne, a Carrera, and a 911 GTS.

You forgot GT2s in your rant.
kyledr04
AG
dodger02 said:

kyledr04 said:

Because GM logistics and unwillingness to let people give them their money is a mess.

Remember how hard it was to find it a z06 and all the crazy dealer markups? It's taken a long time for them to be available without a long wait. My small local dealer finally got one. I can't imagine they build a lot of these just like Ford GT. But given the price, there can't be huge demand but short supply will keep the price up.

More broadly, they can't properly allocate Yukons, Tahoes, Acadias, Traverses, or 2500s to build what people actually want so that the inventory doesn't build up with stuff no one really wants. It's very hard to find zr2 1500 or 2500 trucks. They make these special models then limit production to a tiny percentage of the overall capacity. Then you'd think that ordering one is the way to get what you want but that may not work either because you need to order from a dealer with allocation.

For Corvettes, you couldn't get a zo6 unless you'd sold some c7 Zo6. So, I bet all the zr1 go to those few super high volume dealers. Over the next few years a few might be available in Texas. There's an entire forum dedicated to gaming the allocation system. And even when you might get a chance to order, it's very likely something you want will be constrained.
Aggie Dad 26
Aston 91 said:

1,064 hp on pump gas with a factory warranty is just insane. I'm overly nostalgic (still have my first car, a 1966 Chevy II that I got in 1985) but this thing blows any prior Corvette - and pretty much any car for the expected price - out of the water.

My goodness, please start a seperate thread on this car so this one doesn't get hijacked. I drove a 63' Chevy II in HS and have been looking at them online lately
Aggie Dad 26
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Do you have to have a 5 point harness on that thing?

Do you even 1,000+ hp, Bro?
SA-AG72
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Aston 91 said:

My goodness, please start a seperate thread on this car so this one doesn't get hijacked. I drove a 63' Chevy II in HS and have been looking at them online lately

'64 Nova here.
HumpitPuryear
AG
kyledr04 said:

dodger02 said:

kyledr04 said:

Because GM logistics and unwillingness to let people give them their money is a mess.

Remember how hard it was to find it a z06 and all the crazy dealer markups? It's taken a long time for them to be available without a long wait. My small local dealer finally got one. I can't imagine they build a lot of these just like Ford GT. But given the price, there can't be huge demand but short supply will keep the price up.

More broadly, they can't properly allocate Yukons, Tahoes, Acadias, Traverses, or 2500s to build what people actually want so that the inventory doesn't build up with stuff no one really wants. It's very hard to find zr2 1500 or 2500 trucks. They make these special models then limit production to a tiny percentage of the overall capacity. Then you'd think that ordering one is the way to get what you want but that may not work either because you need to order from a dealer with allocation.

For Corvettes, you couldn't get a zo6 unless you'd sold some c7 Zo6. So, I bet all the zr1 go to those few super high volume dealers. Over the next few years a few might be available in Texas. There's an entire forum dedicated to gaming the allocation system. And even when you might get a chance to order, it's very likely something you want will be constrained.
It's not just GM. Ford did the same thing with the Shelby GT500 and all of the various Raptors. And you can't just go buy a GT you have to apply for the allocation and be approved by corporate. I think some of this may be regulatory. Don't the gas guzzlers have to be offset with economy cars in annual sales or there's some kind of penalty?
bevokilla
AG
The C3 was awful
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.