F-150 ecoboost thoughts/advice, post-cat exhaust mod options?

2,603 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by JSKolache
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy guys. Rarely post over here, mostly hang out on the OB. I recently sold my 2019 F250. Mixed emotions on the decision, I loved the truck but was using it as a daily driver. Was hardly towing with it at all and when I was, just a small poling skiff. Bought it during covid during the shutdown madness and while I towed some then, just not using it to tow at all.

The maintenace costs were more than I wanted to deal with long term and in January I was hit with error codes in the diesel exhaust filter that stranded me in limp mode in Arkansas for 4 days. 500 bucks later at the Ford house all they did was clear error codes and tell me nothing was wrong with the truck. Not really interested in a delete.

Recently traded for a 23 GMC AT4 with the 6.2V8. Just not in love with the truck - at all. Layout is way different than the Ford, but I do like the sound and power of the 6.2L V8. I wanted to stay away from the V6's with turbos (which is why I didn't look at Tundras - drove an older model for 15 years). Because I loved the F250 interior layout and amenities, I've also been looking at F150 platinums with the 3.5L Ecoboost, can't find any late models with the V8 unfortunately with the color and trim I want.

I found one that fits all my needs but it's a 3.5 V6 ecoboost and man, I just can't get my mind around owning a V6 and not a V8. Spent some time online reading about the V6 or whether I should stay with a GMC with the 6.2L V8.

What are y'alls thoughts on the Ecoboost? And what post-cat mods can be done to make it at least sound like a truck?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
jrrhouston98
AG
What year is it? The ecoboost had bad issues with the cam phasers. I believe they changed to a different design in late 21 or early 22.

I had a 19 Lariat with the 3.5 and it would flat move, and it towed really well. If you want it to sound like a V8, don't buy it. Putting an exhaust on it will make it sound like a V6 with an exhaust. In other words, just like a ricer fart can.

I got rid of mine last year and opted for a NA motor for longevity. Plenty of people have put a lot of miles on the boost, but I just can't bring myself to rack up the miles on a daily driven truck with turbos, unless it is a diesel.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the reply.

Looking at 2022 or 2023 F150's with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I can hardly find any V8's on the used car sites, they are all ecoboosts.
Silvy
AG
dr_boogs said:

What are y'alls thoughts on the Ecoboost? And what post-cat mods can be done to make it at least sound like a truck?
You have to add 2x cylinders to make it sound like a V8. I've never heard an Ecoboost that had a good sound.

ETA: what's the color you're looking for? I see a number of 5.0 Platinums within 500 miles. Search included 2021 models as there's no reason to exclude them if you're looking 22-23.
ARKY AGGIE
AG
This is my 2020 F150 with Ecoboost V6. Pulls my race car trailer with ease.
BTHO bacon bits!!!
jrrhouston98
AG
One more thing to add, the 10 speed transmissions are prone to failure. When I sold mine, 92,000 miles, I had a noticeable clunk shifting in and out of park. A buddy that owns a shop said to dump it now, as the rebuild is really expensive and parts aren't available so I'd be without for a long time. Apparently the rebuild is damn near as much as a new transmission. My final thoughts on it.
IntensivePurposes
AG
2.7 Boost/10 speed owner here. 126k miles on the clock with zero issues drivetrain wise w/ basic maintenance.

It rips and I can tow a trailer with a car on it. Idk if it'll still be available when this truck dies, but if it is, I will be getting another 2.7 Boost.

Don't put an exhaust on it. It does make it sound hot boy.

BurnetAggie99
Borla Atak Exhaust
Silvy
AG
Absolutely haram
MTTANK
AG
You will just have to get over the sound. I have owned both the 5.0 and the 3.5's. Both are great motors. The 3.5 has more power, and is far superior in my experience. You would not believe how my half ton 3.5 tows. 5.0 did the job, but head to head its not even close. With that said, if you keep trucks forever and don't care much about performance just wait for a 5.0. The 5.0 should cost less in repairs over 300k miles of ownership.
Flaith
AG
Also turbskis are awesome. Hearing them spool up when you drop the hammer is a whole different level of addictive sound.
Buck Turgidson
The 3.5 boost is a pretty sorted-out, proven engine at this point. I had 90k miles on a 2015 Navigator before it was totaled and have 68k miles (and counting) on my current 2016 Navigator, both with that engine and zero mechanical issues so far. Much better than the V8 option from an acceleration standpoint. While my current Navigator doesn't have a huge number of miles on it, its still pushing 9 years old and never causes me any trouble.
sts7049
AG
so you already bought one truck you dont like, and you are already trying to convince yourself to buy another that you might not like?
drummer0415
AG
I have a 2017 f150 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed, with 216k miles on it. It's still my daily driver and I put about ~3k miles a month on it.

To address the biggest issue first, the initial design of the cam phasers sucked. My truck has had them replaced four times, with the last time finally being the new design. Since then I have about 60k miles on this set with no issues.

Other than the cam phasers, I have replaced the starter and the water pump. Obviously not ideal, but not crazy or unexpected either for a truck with high miles.

I have heard of A LOT of issues with the 10 speed trans in Expeditions, but not as many (or any?) in f150s. Not sure if they have different components, or the extra weight makes a difference or what, but the f150s seem good to go with the 10 speed.

The part that people usually say "worries them" is the turbos, but mine have been just fine and not had any issues in 216k miles. I had a discussion about this the other day with some friends and I added up about 15 ecoboosts (which equates to 30 turbos) that are owned by either very good friends or close family, and they have had some issues with their vehicles, but not a single issue has ever been turbo related. Turbos are just not the boogie man that inexperienced people try to make them out to be.

So Other than the faulty cam phaser design that was updated sometime around 21-22, the 3.5 ecoboost is a great engine. As long as you get a 22 or newer, you should have the new cam phaser design and it should be very reliable, while being faster and towing better than the 5.0 or your 6.2.

As far as I'm concerned, all the major manufactures have issues these days and nobody is perfect. If you stick with your 6.2 because you're scared of turbos, there's a good chance you could have a lifter failure and ruin your cam and need an engine rebuild. So I'm not trying to say any one platform is better than another right now, I'm just saying don't let the turbos be the thing that scares you away from the ecoboost.

ConcreteCowboy
I think a lot of people feel this way. V8's used to be the low stress, torque at low RPM motor and the v6 was a screamer. In the case of the modern f-150, the engines are kind of flipped: the 5.0 coyote loves to rev, and has to really spin to make torque. The Ecoboost makes torque at lower rpm, and doesn't really have to rev like a 5.0 to make torque. I love the coyote, but it's a hot rod engine. The ecoboost has low rpm punch like a truck motor should.
ChoppinDs40
AG
6.2 will have lifter issues. Should've opted for the Duramax

New phasers went into the 21s with the f150 redesign. Have just over 41k miles on my 2021 f150 with the 3.5L.

Despite having a handful of wtf recall items, it's been a great vehicle. Power in the 3.5 is nuts.
Silvy
AG
dr_boogs
AG
Appreciate the cynicism. I actually love everything about the F150 but haven't owned a V6 with turbos and the fact that it's not a V8 (and an engine I've owned before) concerned me, which is why I posted here.

I hang out over on the OB and the sarcastic posts make up about 1 in 10 posts over there, sometimes more, thanks for making me feel at home!
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks Drummer, your post was really helpful.
dodger02
AG
I'm a former 2.7L owner. I had something like 130K miles on mine when I traded it in for a zippy car.

It was a fantastic highway cruiser that could tow anything I needed it to (mostly just flatbed trailers loaded with miscellaneous ****). It would easily tow a small poling skiff.

I never had any mechanical issues. I just put tires and brakes on it when I needed them and finally got around to putting Bilsteins on it way too late that settled the back end tremendously. I stopped chasing exhaust notes when I turned 30.

The 3.5L is beastly.

ChoppinDs40
AG
I should also add... the 3.5L is the same engine in the Raptor just with a different tune (which can be adjusted in the regular 3.5). So keep that in mind if you're worried about the power and giddy up.
austinag1997
AG
MTTANK said:

You will just have to get over the sound. I have owned both the 5.0 and the 3.5's. Both are great motors. The 3.5 has more power, and is far superior in my experience. You would not believe how my half ton 3.5 tows. 5.0 did the job, but head to head its not even close. With that said, if you keep trucks forever and don't care much about performance just wait for a 5.0. The 5.0 should cost less in repairs over 300k miles of ownership.

I hear you. I had the legacy 5.0L V8 and loved it. Reliable engine. Illegally pulled a utility trailer (9000 lb in axles) with it for years.
big ben
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Borla Atak Exhaust

Not only no, but hell no.
dr_boogs
AG
Just went and test-drove some 23 and 24's with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Was honestly pretty impressed. Will probably target a 22 or 23 white 150 at this point. Thanks for your advice.
MTTANK
AG
dr_boogs said:

Just went and test-drove some 23 and 24's with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Was honestly pretty impressed. Will probably target a 22 or 23 white 150 at this point. Thanks for your advice.
Nice! Make it a long bed with non sunroof and the AB will approve. In other news, do yourself a favor and put a 5 star tune on it. 87 tow/perf is what I run. Helps a ton with the shift logic
ChoppinDs40
AG
Where can you do the tune?
MTTANK
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I bought my SCT tuner direct from 5 star, gave me the option to pick 3 different tunes that came with it. Was an easy process.
ChoppinDs40
AG
MTTANK said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I bought my SCT tuner direct from 5 star, gave me the option to pick 3 different tunes that came with it. Was an easy process.

This?

https://5startuning.com/product/2021-f150-3-3l-sct-x4-with-choice-of-5-star-custom-tunes-7015g/
dr_boogs
AG
MTTANK said:

dr_boogs said:

Nice! Make it a long bed with non sunroof and the AB will approve. In other news, do yourself a favor and put a 5 star tune on it. 87 tow/perf is what I run. Helps a ton with the shift logic

Does adding tuning kits void factory warranties? Serious question.

Also, I read that an air intake upgrade is commonly done on F150's w the 3.5 eco boost. Why would that be needed on a stock truck? Boost to performance or just to keep engine temp down if you tow a lot? Seems odd to have to upgrade air intake and add a tune kit.
Silvy
AG
Yes, tuning will void warranties. A cold air intake is installed to improve power. Intake air temps would be higher than stock when at idle and low speeds.
Mas89
AG
I bought one early this year and have put 20k miles on it already. Happy with the fuel mileage and the 36 gallon tank. Nice to get 600 miles on a long trip. I searched the ford locator online until I found what I was looking for.
1. Auto Start-Stop delete which was a line item on the window sticker. Not sure if there is an easier way, but I looked at each window sticker online of the trucks which met my other search criteria. I Hate the engine stopping at red lights so this delete was the key. Only a few had it and I bought one. Lariat package without a hole in the roof was the other requirement.
Not sure if new orders can still do the auto start-stop delete for the 24 or 25 models.

Long term I won't own the f150 after the ford extended warranty runs out. Will trade before the 4 year, 125k warranty expires.
HumbleAg04
AG
AT4 w/6.2 is best looking / sounding truck on the road. Dumping it for a F150 you might as well "breathe" in cursive tattooed on your wrist.
MTTANK
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

MTTANK said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

This?

https://5startuning.com/product/2021-f150-3-3l-sct-x4-with-choice-of-5-star-custom-tunes-7015g/
That's the one I got
dr_boogs
AG
Username definitely does not check out. I'm just here trying to learn about the EcoBoost.

At4 does indeed look and sound good. That's why I bought it, wanted to get into an V8 after selling my 250 diesel. However….Its technology is weak compared to other manufacturers, the interior layout and controls are clunky and just didn't suit me, it's Google driven display panel drove me nuts, and its seats were extremely uncomfortable. Who puts the tailgate drop button right next to the main storage area below the dash at the front of the console where you out your keys and sunglasses and stuff. When you toss something down there or reach down there to pull something you drop the tailgate.

Anyway, no tats here my man and my new truck will remain stock. Have a good one.
Flaith
AG
I mean, he did use a winkyface emoji, and it was a pretty funny joke.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.