help choose next tires.

2,761 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Aggie_Boomin 21
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GX460

Michelin LTX served well but wanting something a little more AT look, but not super aggressive like BFG KO

1. 265/60/18 stock size Falken Wildpeak AT3
Have seen these on several GX - including pics on here - and like the look. Sub $1k

2. 285/60/18 BFG Trail Terrain
Wide as I can get on stock wheels. DT will match out the door price of Costco $1060

3. 285/60/18 Nitto Terragrappler G2

These will be a bit more expensive
ChoppinDs40
AG
Sazerac said:

GX460

Michelin LTX served well but wanting something a little more AT look, but not super aggressive like BFG KO

Have seen these on several GX - including pics on here - and like the look. Sub $1k

Wide as I can get on stock wheels. DT will match out the door price of Costco $1060

I have the trail terrains sitting on 22s. I like them. Not sure how many miles we're going to get from them.
Bob Kelso
AG
Cooper discoverer at3
austinag1997
AG
I suggest some Nittos... Edge Grappler?
ac04
read this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/953772-gx460-tire-size-comparison-thread.html

i put 275/65/18 KO2s on my wife's GX recently and it looks fantastic. discount tire tried to tell me they wouldn't fit, but they do (barely).

i would be really surprised if you can get 285/60/18s on there with no rubbing on the fronts.
MouthBQ98
AG
I was very pleased with the last set of pathfinder AT from discount tire. And they're relatively inexpensive
Sazerac
AG
My understanding is 285/60 is wider footprint but 275/65 is taller / takes up more wheelwell

My understating is when you go taller/wider 275/65 is at the limit and even then you may have to replace a bolt in front wheelwell with a flathead.
ac04
it depends on the tire, 275/65 KO2s fit fine with no need to swap the bolt. but other brands in that size did need to change it. apparently the BFGs run a little small.

when you have the wheel turned at full lock in either direction it comes very close to rubbing. so i think any more width would be an issue. but discount tire will mount and check the fit for you if you ask.

there is a ton of info in that thread i linked, i think i read the entire thing before landing on the KO2s.
Sazerac
AG
275/65 are 32.1"
285/60 are 31.5"
265/60 are 30.5" stock
ac04
again, width is my concern. 275/65 are 10.8" wide and barely fit. 285/60 are 11.2"
Sazerac
AG
Ahhh it's a concern for when wheel is turned.
Mas89
AG
Are you worried about performance or just look? Anything with a more AT look will come with more road noise.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Were you able to fit a matching spare underneath?
Sazerac
AG
Purely aesthetic. I know it will be a bit noisier
JSKolache
AG
Look at yoko geolandars as well
Jock 07
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Sazerac said:

GX460

I have the trail terrains sitting on 22s. I like them. Not sure how many miles we're going to get from them.

I'd be interested to see how many miles you wind up with on those. I'm seriously considering them for my wife's expedition when I have to replace her 22 OEMs here in the next few months before winter.
87IE
AG
I have a set of Sumitomo Encounters on a spare 4WD truck (they were practically new when the truck was given to me) that I've been impressed with.

$215 at Discount and a 60k warranty.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Jock 07 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Sazerac said:

GX460

I'd be interested to see how many miles you wind up with on those. I'm seriously considering them for my wife's expedition when I have to replace her 22 OEMs here in the next few months before winter.

Barely got 20k out of the factory low profiles.

I'd bet we get 40k 45k from these. I forget if they had a mileage warranty. Got at discount with all the certs and what not.
ac04
no, but i've read you can get a 265/65/18 under there. need to get on that actually now that you mention it.
cledus6150
AG
I just installed a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T 4W LT285/70R18, on my ZR2 Silverado and really like them. I originally went with Goodyear wrangler duratrak's but they have changed the tire design up. I absolutely hated them so discount let me swap them out for the falkens no questions asked. I have been very pleased with the new falkens but really only have about 2k miles on them so far.
Flaith
AG
I put Falken Wildpeaks on my former lifted XJ. I love the look of them - can't comment on road noise, because, well.... it was an XJ

Also check out the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires.
Jock 07
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Jock 07 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Sazerac said:

GX460

I'd bet we get 40k 45k from these. I forget if they had a mileage warranty. Got at discount with all the certs and what not.

I'm at ~25k on the oem general tires that came with the expedition. I was actually looking at the trail terrains for my truck but then got the KO2s at a pretty decent price that made the savings negligible. I think the trail terrains do have a tread warranty and I want to say it's in the 50ish range.
drumboy
AG
Sazerac said:

My understanding is 285/60 is wider footprint but 275/65 is taller / takes up more wheelwell

My understating is when you go taller/wider 275/65 is at the limit and even then you may have to replace a bolt in front wheelwell with a flathead.

Complete Idiot
Anybody running K03's yet, and able to compare to K02's?
Howdy Dammit
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I've ran K02s my whole life. Was kinda sad at the upgrade. Hopefully they are still a great tire. Will be upgrading to them on me and my wife's next set soon.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Jock 07 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Jock 07 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Sazerac said:

GX460

I'm at ~25k on the oem general tires that came with the expedition. I was actually looking at the trail terrains for my truck but then got the KO2s at a pretty decent price that made the savings negligible. I think the trail terrains do have a tread warranty and I want to say it's in the 50ish range.

Just checked, 60k

I put them on my wife's wagoneer. Just something more aggressive than street in case we want to take it over Imogene pass
txags92
AG
I have the Falken WPs on my 2016 Tacoma and have been very happy with them. Quieter than other AT tires I have had in the past and better wet road traction that BFGs.
ChoppinDs40
AG
txags92 said:

I have the Falken WPs on my 2016 Tacoma and have been very happy with them. Quieter than other AT tires I have had in the past and better wet road traction that BFGs.
I was gonna do those but the $100 difference per tire vs the BFG trail terrain changed my mind.
Sazerac
AG
After reading too many reviews I ended up going with the new Toyo AT in 265/65/18 on a new set of black take offs from a '23 GX.

Really wanted a wider tire but didn't want to mess with a spare not fitting or having to cut out fender/wells.
PeekingDuck
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Complete Idiot said:

I've ran K02s my whole life. Was kinda sad at the upgrade. Hopefully they are still a great tire. Will be upgrading to them on me and my wife's next set soon.
Had them on my 4Runner briefly and they were pretty quiet in compared to the stock Nittos. Couldn't get them to balance so I swapped back and taking it to Toyota to check it out. Doubt it was the KO3s.
MattAg98
AG
I just got a Ranger Raptor and it came with KO3s. I haven't had it long so I cant comment on the wet performance yet but they seem much quieter and smoother than the KO2s I had on my 4Runner.
bam02
AG
Sazerac said:

After reading too many reviews I ended up going with the new Toyo AT in 265/65/18 on a new set of black take offs from a '23 GX.

Really wanted a wider tire but didn't want to mess with a spare not fitting or having to cut out fender/wells.

I'm a fan of the taller, narrower (pizza cutter) look. More old school to me.
mefoghorn
AG
Just got Goodyear wrangler Steadfast HT on my 4Runner after reading all the great reviews on tire rack. They're working very well for me Though a highway tire and very quiet, they have deep tread and a fairly aggressive look to them
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Had 265/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks AT4Ws put on my gx460 about a month ago and have liked them a lot so far.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.