OEM vs aftermarket hood support strut

867 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Absolute
traxter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Local GM dealership as needs to order the $35 OEM one, and Autozone and O'reilly's both need to order the aftermarket $18 one made by Stabilus. Started leaking hydraulic fluid after 9.5 years and won't hold the hood up anymore.

Anyone have experience with Stabilus? I read somewhere they probably make the same one for the manufacturer. Some others stated there's a difference in force, it doesn't operate as smoothly, and various complaints.

Anyone have experience with these? Leaning towards the OEM one. Figure if the first one lasted 9 years, the second one should last the remainder of the life of the vehicle. Thoughts
JB
AG
That is an item I would just buy at the parts store or via Amazon or Rockauto. They are likely all the same. Would not pay a dealer.
txyaloo
AG
I've used Stabilus hood and trunk struts on multiple cars over the years - no issues with any. Like you said, I think they OE for a lot of companies.

You can get them on Amazon or Rock Auto fairly inexpensively.

if Advance has to order, get an oil change kit or otherwise bump your total to $100 and save 20% with coupon JULYDEAL and get the struts for "free"
agdoc2001
AG
I've been very happy with Redline
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Whoop Delecto
AG
I bought a pair of Stabilus trunk strut dampers off of Amazon and they are great. Identical to the OEM Mercedes ones at a fraction of the cost.

Also, the trunk gets used more often than the hood. This is the 3rd set following the originals and a pair the dealer replaced. The stabilus ones are out performing.
AggieOE12
AG
agdoc2001 said:

I've been very happy with Redline
Had redlines in the past. Was very happy with them.
txyaloo
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

I bought a pair of Stabilus trunk strut dampers off of Amazon and they are great. Identical to the OEM Mercedes ones at a fraction of the cost.

Also, the trunk gets used more often than the hood. This is the 3rd set following the originals and a pair the dealer replaced. The stabilus ones are out performing.
Nice thing with Stabilus (and prob most of the strut companies) is they have different lift weights in the same strut size. I found a good combo that will open my GTO's trunk fully with just the remote instead of it just popping up 1/2" when unlocked
Whoop Delecto
AG
Absolute
AG
Haven't used the hood ones, but have replaced trunk ones with aftermarkets when they wore out several times. no issues with whatever come up on Amazon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.