Dealership not following through on deal

4,529 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Green2Maroon
SW-14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently traded in a vehicle at Tomball Ford and agreed to terms with them, with the result net difference after loan payoff being that they owed approximately $300. The final amount was dependent on the actual loan payoff, which I didn't have with me at the time of the deal.

I have a signed form saying they owe me this amount, but unfortunately I'm an idiot and did not get a copy of the purchase order. After the loan was paid off, I called to collect the money owed to me, and was told that due to an error they made with the sales tax, it turns out that I actually owed them about $300, but they would waive this amount.

Obviously I'm skeptical about this and asked to see the numbers. They sent me the updated purchase order (that I did not sign) and have been giving me the run around on my request to get the original purchase order. At this point it seems clear to me they have no intent of honoring the original agreement. What recourse do I have?
tk for tu juan
Guess who owns that dealership?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Recourse aside, you'll quickly spend $300 worth of time dealing with this problem.
ElephantRider
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Guess who owns that dealership?

Shocking
SW-14
AG
Yeah I know the amount isn't much, but it's the principle.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Don't blame you. Would be pissed as well.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Does it rhyme with beating?
Picard
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Also rhymes with "cheating"

Buck Turgidson
Why are you dancing around the name of the owner? Its KEATING. Apparently they own Tomball Dodge and a buttload of other unsavory dealerships too. Here's a list of Keating owned dealerships to avoid: https://www.keatingauto.com/
Mas89
AG
Is that the dealership with the large glass window in the front?
jja79
AG
I moved far away last year but no way would I do business with those *******s again nor refer anyone to them.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I will refrain from making any comments.

fishag04
AG
Not sure who owned them in 2005 but I had a miserable experience with them back then. Never again.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Why are you dancing around the name of the owner? Its KEATING. Apparently they own Tomball Dodge and a buttload of other unsavory dealerships too. Here's a list of Keating owned dealerships to avoid: https://www.keatingauto.com/

So random they own Grapevine CDJR
G Martin 87
AG
SW-14 said:

What recourse do I have?
Social media. Tell the story and advise friends to keep multiple signed copies of everything and have an attorney on retainer if they choose to do business with that dealership. I doubt the dealership cares much about their reputation on social media, but a lot do.
lb3
AG
Skip social media. Write a nice email to the manager and cc all their local competitors, I'm sure they would love to share your stories with their customers.
G Martin 87
AG
lb3 said:

Skip social media. Write a nice email to the manager and cc all their local competitors, I'm sure they would love to share your stories with their customers.
That's a great idea.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I mean they're a texags sponsor….
TitanAGGIE09
AG
SW-14 said:

I recently traded in a vehicle at Tomball Ford and agreed to terms with them, with the result net difference after loan payoff being that they owed approximately $300. The final amount was dependent on the actual loan payoff, which I didn't have with me at the time of the deal.

I have a signed form saying they owe me this amount, but unfortunately I'm an idiot and did not get a copy of the purchase order. After the loan was paid off, I called to collect the money owed to me, and was told that due to an error they made with the sales tax, it turns out that I actually owed them about $300, but they would waive this amount.

Obviously I'm skeptical about this and asked to see the numbers. They sent me the updated purchase order (that I did not sign) and have been giving me the run around on my request to get the original purchase order. At this point it seems clear to me they have no intent of honoring the original agreement. What recourse do I have?

So you contracted on a vehicle, took deliver and left all with the contract being based on an estimated payoff you provided them that they didn't verify?
SW-14
AG
Not sure what they did on their end to verify, but I provided the current balance, so the final payoff amount would not be too far off.
Ed Harley
AG
You've spent $300 worth of your time making this post and complaining. It's $300. Let it go. You'll be much happier if you do. You'll be miserable if you don't.
aggiebq03+
If anyone telling the OP to let the $300 go happens to have $300 they can send the OP, I'm sure he'd say thanks and let it go.
SW-14
AG
Damn, I never realized my time was this valuable. $300 for a few minutes of posting has got to put me in the top 1%.
The Fife
If that clobber line was still around, stuff like this wouldn't happen.
The Wonderer
AG
SW-14 said:

Yeah I know the amount isn't much, but it's the principle.
Principles cost money.

/lawyer
Goodest Poster
AG
Picard said:

Stringfellow Hawke said:

Also rhymes with "cheating"

The "H" is silent
Always the most goodest
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The Fife said:

https://images2.loopnet.com/d2/qT393ZrubQTB16IOgaMcoqS5bSAzGdbvrMRynGmJy_s/document.pdf
Maroonedinaustin
AG
The Fife said:

Still driving a 2004 Ram 2500 diesel my brother purchased there in 2003. Coming up on 180k miles, so only 20 years to break her in.
techno-ag
AG
I miss PawPaw.

Or his commercials, anyway.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

lb3
AG
He had a niece that was pretty hot if I'm remembering correctly. She must be 45 or 50 by now.
SW-14
AG
Brief update today…

I went in to the dealership right when they opened and was finally able to get the copy of the signed purchase order, no thanks to the finance manager who had been ignoring my calls and emails.

Turns out they did in fact make an error on the sales tax that actually worked in my favor. I traded down, which means there is no sales tax owed. However, they actually credited me the sales tax on the difference in the purchase and trade in prices, which amounted to about $700. So in reality I should have owed them $400 or so once the loan payoff was settled. Maybe the finance manager got her ass chewed out for that one and was pissed about it, so she didn't want to help clear things up. Who knows…

Lessons learned:

1. Always get copies of any signed documents,
2. Get a full itemized purchase order in writing before agreeing to any deal. The slimeballs tried to slip in the bull**** nano protection crap and theft recovery dealer addons hoping I wouldn't notice.
3. Get a loan payoff statement from the lender beforehand so that all financial questions are settled before taking delivery while you still have leverage.
4. Avoid Keating dealerships?
5. Make sure the horn works before buying. Didn't figure that out until a week later.
texsn95
AG
Ed Harley said:

You've spent $300 worth of your time making this post and complaining. It's $300. Let it go. You'll be much happier if you do. You'll be miserable if you don't.
Why would someone be miserable over $300? Strange take there.
JamesPShelley
texsn95 said:

Ed Harley said:

Becaue sometimes it's a matter of principle.

Bet the ****sticks at the dealership frequently pull that ***** If the OP is like me, they don't leave anything on the table. Only pushovers do that.

And I don't neeed any flak about why, "It might cost $400 in time and effort to recover the $300.

Principles man. Principles.
texsn95
AG
JamesPShelley said:

texsn95 said:

Ed Harley said:

Bet the ****sticks at the dealership frequently pull that ***** If the OP is like me, they don't leave anything on the table. Only pushovers do that.

And I don't neeed any flak about why, "It might cost $400 in time and effort to recover the $300.

I agree with the matter of principle, I would do the same thing. I was saying it's strange how someone thinks the OP's efforts to recoup the $300 is making him miserable, or something to that effect, just because they made a post about it.
JamesPShelley
texsn95 said:

JamesPShelley said:

texsn95 said:

Ed Harley said:

I agree with the matter of principle, I would do the same thing. I was saying it's strange how someone thinks the OP's efforts to recoup the $300 is making him miserable, or something to that effect, just because they made a post about it.
Noted.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.