List of Used Cars to Avoid

4,657 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LOYAL AG
Bronco6Gen
How long do you want to ignore this user?

What does the OB think of this list?
PMD03
AG
I have a 2018 Escape. Damn!
AggieDruggist89
AG
What's wrong with 2018 Civic but not 2017 or 2019?
JBLHAG03
AG
So basically all of them.
Bronco6Gen
Except Toyota apparently...GMC/Chevy had a rough 2015
dodger02
AG
Weird list. Kind of like the Civic, the VW GTI years to avoid cross the Mk 7 and Mk 7.5 years. And the years to avoid for the regular Golf are the last years of the Mk 7 and Mk 7.5.

I don't know what their VW issues are. But for Golf's, the EA888 engine is fantastic and very reliable...until you start trying to double the HP with blowers and wild tunes.
StockHorseAg
AG
And why are F250 and 350 labeled separately. They are the exact same truck but with different springs or 2 extra wheels which I feel like shouldn't change anything reliability wise.
Bronco6Gen
Because the respondants to the survey are just reporting which vehicle they have
Txgunrnnr
AG
I have a 2018 F-150. Other than the cam phasers being replaced under warranty, no other problems. Les than 72K miles on her.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
MouthBQ98
AG
Expedition 17? Love to know why. Last year before major redesign? That's when they pretty much have all the bugs worked out.
akaggie05
AG
Weird list. Just a few examples that jump out at me:

- '13 BMW X5... 2013 was the last year of the E70 chassis, and by all accounts this was the year that they had most of the kinks worked out. I'd expect to see "avoid" years more aligned with the first year of a new body style.

- Tahoe/Suburban and Yukon/Yukon XL "years to avoid" not matching. The 'burb and XLs are just stretched versions of their baby cousins and there really isn't anything different mechanically.
fixer
Not a single Toyota or Lexus?

I guess the reporting stopped at 2022, otherwise the new Tundra would be listed.
Aggie Dad 26
On 3, everyone get angry at the same time

1... 2...3!
TecRecAg
AG
How does any Dodge sedan/coupe with a V8 not make the list?
PMD03
AG
TecRecAg said:

Gets repoed before it can break.
maroon barchetta
PMD03 said:

TecRecAg said:

Gets repoed before it can break.
EMY92
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

Toyota dealers aren't accepting the latest gen. Tundras as trade in vehicles now. I would not get the new Tundra or any other Toyota brand with the same turbo V6 used in the Tundra.
Picard
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Expedition 17? Love to know why. Last year before major redesign? That's when they pretty much have all the bugs worked out.

Proof that these authors have no idea what they're doing.

Tree Hugger
AG
Curious as to why GMC Sierra 2020 wasn't on the list? What's makes it different? I'm currently in a 2019, no plans to replace since it only has 44k on the odometer, but what is the difference?
chickencoupe16
AG
The fact that the 2014 Jeep Patriot isn't on there tells me all I need to know about the list...
Dr. Nefario
What's the source of this list?
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
Goodest Poster
AG
PT Cruiser
Chrysler 300
Chrysler 200
Dodge Charger
Always the most goodest
AgCPA95
AG
Dr. Nefario said:

What's the source of this list?
Pretty certain that is Consumer Reports subscriber survey results.
HollywoodBQ
AG
As a 2020 Jeep Wrangler owner, I think it's pretty funny that the 2018-2022 Wrangler JL is on their list except for 2021.

2021 was peak "supply chain" problems but those are OK.

Of course I'm also surprised that they didn't just say Jeep - all models, all years.
kb2001
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

Which we all saw while it was happening, even it we didn't realize it. The GMTK2xx series was horrific. The sad part is over 5 years they never really were able to fix it and just moved on to the next generation, which has its own set of problems.

The GMT900 gen was the last decent one, and the GMT800 was the last great one. I'd like to think they can turn it around, but they've also stated they want a fully electric fleet by 2035.
Jack Boyett
AG
I had a '16 Grand Caravan. Replaced the oil cooler under the intake manifold and the thermostat in 200k miles. Probably $200 in maintenance all in. Most reliable car I've ever owned.
Jetpilot86
AG
I have 2 on the list. Been good so far.
Earth Rider
AG
Jack Boyett said:

I had a '16 Grand Caravan. Replaced the oil cooler under the intake manifold and the thermostat in 200k miles. Probably $200 in maintenance all in. Most reliable car I've ever owned.
You see I have heard similar stories about dodge. I habe a 2021 durango and had to replace the radio. Other than that Just changed the brake pads and spark plugs nd oil changes. But very reliable.

I also have a 2014 Tacoma and a 2021 Land Cruiser. Also a 2018 f150. I had some trouble with the starter on the f150 but that's resolved. No other issues at all and it has over 100k on it.

The Tacoma I've done nothing at all to it except Change oil and I replaced the battery once. I plan to change the spark plugs this year. All I've done on the cruiser is change oil.

Some of the dodge vehicle series are really well built. The caravan is one of them. I think the v8 Durango like mine is too. My only complaint really bout the Durango is it is recommended to change the spark plugs every 24,000miles or so.
maroon barchetta
A relative had a Caravan that was garbage but that was early 90's.
austinag1997
AG
The Porsche list is legit.
JamesPShelley
ANY car, new or used, that has any mention of "green... eco... boost... flex... etc" in the name. Oh, also "turbo", which is just another way of your god saying, "Not enough cylinders. Not enough displacement".

Any.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
22 Pathfinder here. I get it. It's the first model year of the redesign but knock on wood it has been awesome so far.
austinag1997
AG
JamesPShelley said:

ANY car, new or used, that has any mention of "green... eco... boost... flex... etc" in the name. Oh, also "turbo", which is just another way of your god saying, "Not enough cylinders. Not enough displacement".

Any.

Not sure that is the gospel. The Porsche flat 6 with turbos is an animal. Made to go fast. They have rarely deviated from the flat 6. And with turbos is highly sought.
Earth Rider
AG
austinag1997 said:

I had a 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. it was a blast to drive, but it was a nightmare as for as repairs. Not too many shade tree mechanics work on Porsche, and dealers or anyone else would be at least $2k per repair. Seems like I had to take it in every 3 months.

I hit a big fat doe whitetail deer in south Texas, and she went under the underside of it, and they totaled it. The air bags popped out as designed, Nobody hurt and it performed well from a safety standpoint on that.
austinag1997
AG
Earth Rider said:

austinag1997 said:

I had a 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. it was a blast to drive, but it was a nightmare as for as repairs. Not too many shade tree mechanics work on Porsche, and dealers or anyone else would be at least $2k per repair. Seems like I had to take it in every 3 months.

I hit a big fat doe whitetail deer in south Texas, and she went under the underside of it, and they totaled it. The air bags popped out as designed, Nobody hurt and it performed well from a safety standpoint on that.

I have a 2016 Cayenne S. Only non-routine mainenance was a coolant breather hose burst. Its located in the valley of the engine. Half day of work from my indy mechanic. Never go to Porsche dealers for work.

I have a 986 Boxster I try to do work on my own as I can. The 996 TT Mezger... I don't even try.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.