F-150s

2,079 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TMfrisco
ruxin98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to buy one for my son… he's about to start college. Looking for something that is 2018 or newer, lariat package or better, mid-mileage (under 100k), trying to keep it in the $30k range.

Any thoughts? I know some of the F-150s in this era (2018-22) have had transmission or other issues.

Thanks in advance.
mwlkr
AG
Try Sterling GMC in Bryan. Just traded in 2019 F150 Lariat with 72,000 miles. Had no issues.
satexas
AG
ruxin98 said:

Any thoughts? I know some of the F-150s in this era (2018-22) have had transmission or other issues.

The current ERA is 2021 --> today. (Gen 14). It's billed to be over 90% changed from the previous generation.

Generation 14 = 2021-present
Generation 13 = 2015-2020

The easiest way to tell, besides the grill, is the flaring (shape) of the headlights.... or the front grill/face.

I have a 2021, one of the first out of the actual first batch made... no transmission issues yet, although I only have 25k miles on mine.
TMfrisco
AG
ruxin98 said:

Looking to buy one for my son… he's about to start college. Looking for something that is 2018 or newer, lariat package or better, mid-mileage (under 100k), trying to keep it in the $30k range.

Thanks in advance.
I think you will have a hard time staying in that price range for what you want. I would guess you will be closer to $35K and will have to go to a 2018 - 2020 - nothing newer - and mileage will be close to 100K.

I bought a 2019 XLT w/66K in November and it was $32K. It was a 302A w/sunroof, blind spot monitors, 4x4, brand new 20" Michelins and a couple of extras. At that time, it was a good deal. Prices have come down slightly since then, but not a lot.

I have had 2 2019s(3.5 boost) with a combined over 200K and never even had a CEL come on.

If you are not in a hurry, you may find one for around $30K, but I would inspect it carefully.

Check AutoTrader in your area and you will get a pretty good idea of what is available and what the prices are.
aggieforester05
AG
If you're wanting a 5.0, get a 2015-2017. The gen 2 5.0 is nearly bulletproof and the 6R80 is tough and reliable.
Silvy
AG
Yes, the 10r80 is turning out to be a bit problematic and the 18-20 5.0 trucks frequently have oil consumption issues.

2017 F150 5.0 is the bees knees (I have one).
Dr. Nefario
Concur. 2017 with the 5.0 is the sweet spot for F-150s.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
Strongwind86
AG
Add my name to the list.....

2016 F150 Lariat FX4 with the 5.0.

Not the best on fuel economy but currently at 140,000 trouble free miles (hope I didn't jinx myself...)
Howdy Dammit
AG
2018 with the 2.7 with 90k trouble free miles. Absolutely love it. My wife has a 2021 expy with the 3.5 and for some weird reason I prefer driving the 2.7.
3rd Platoon
AG
I found this on AutoTrader. Get him something like this and buy some Katzkins with the money you saved.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2AD889D6
---------------------------------------
aka Commander 99 and "The Fake Dave South"
FightinTAC08
AG
I think will be hard to find that but they're out there.

Also don't rule out new if you can tolerate an xlt and the price point. Some xlt 302a's are hitting 15k off sticker which is high 30's. But fords have so many options it can kick you out of those massively discounted ones quickly id there's a certain option you want.

For 7-8k difference i'd want new xlt over a used lariat.
ruxin98
Howdy Dammit said:

2018 with the 2.7 with 90k trouble free miles. Absolutely love it. My wife has a 2021 expy with the 3.5 and for some weird reason I prefer driving the 2.7.
This is helpful. Thanks.

I found a 2018 Lariat that has the 3.5L V-6. Anyone have any thoughts on that particular truck, positive or negative?

Thanks to the group for all the responses.
Teslag
AG
Lots of negatives with the 3.5. Cam phaser issue to start
TMfrisco
AG
ruxin98 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

This is helpful. Thanks.

I found a 2018 Lariat that has the 3.5L V-6. Anyone have any thoughts on that particular truck, positive or negative?

Thanks to the group for all the responses.
Depending on how many miles it may have already had cam phasers replaced. Or, if it is like my '13 3.5 with 190K or my '19 3.5 with 120K or my current '19 3.5 with 90K - it may never have cam phaser issues. 400K with those 3 trucks and never even a CEL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.