Car Ins. Premiums - WTAF?

5,344 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Absolute
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow! Care to elaborate?

We've had a couple of claims and they were super easy to deal with (auto). They did decline to buy me a new roof so that sucked. Hail damage not extensive enough in their opinion.
aggieforester05
AG
chet98 said:

Wow! Care to elaborate?

We've had a couple of claims and they were super easy to deal with (auto). They did decline to buy me a new roof so that sucked. Hail damage not extensive enough in their opinion.
I was hit by someone insured by them. They only claimed 80% liability and when asked why lied about my statement. Refused to turn over the audio no matter what, just kept lying their asses off. I filed a complaint with TDI and while TDI didn't do anything due to TX law, SAFECO had to come up with a different excuse in their response which was even weaker. My insurance ended up taking them to arbitration, in which my company won 100% and I got my deductible back. According to my local agent, SAFECO was losing their ass at the time and was throwing **** against the walls to see what sticks. Most unprofessional company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Absolute
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Are the teenagers being insured on every vehicle or just the oldest?
I was told years ago by my independent agent guy, when our first teen started driving, that the teen is basically quoted for the most expensive car if they live with you and have full access. Even if you said they didn't/wouldn't/couldn't drive that car. Don't know how true that may be or not.

Insurance seems to be in a weird downward spiral of ridiculous price increases and horrible service that keeps getting worse. All the while spending probably billions to advertise the opposite.

ETA: Our State Farm policy with one remaining kid doesn't look a whole lot different with a a 2021, 2017, and 2013.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
One thing you gotta give insurance companies is how much you can trust them. I trust mine to stick it to me every chance they get.

It is insanity how much premiums are skyrocketing and how difficult it has become to get them to pay out.
chet98
AG
Wow that's ass my dude
chet98
AG
My guy told me that he has to list the drivers on the cars they drive the most (my 16yr old primary of our 2009 Pilot) but that it doesn't affect the premium.

He went on to say:

Insurance companies, including Safeco, use a system of "average rating" in which they determine an "average rate" based on the age, sex, marital status, and driving record of all drivers and they apply the "average rate" to each vehicle on the policy.
Absolute
AG
That make some sense. Even though their overall amounts are insane.

We had the oldest get off our policy as soon as he got his Bachelors degree. Ours went down and his was really low because he had nothing.

I am seriously considering moving the youngest, who will be a sophomore at OU this year, off asap. I figure after next year at least I can say she primarily lives at school not at home. Honestly feel like that could be legitimately argued now. She will have been at home for barely three months of the last twelve.
chet98
AG
Yeah I was just having the thought of quoting my oldest (19) as a standalone driver. He will be off at Pitt without a car and home minimally until at least next summer. We've designed him "away at college" and got some relief but not 1/4 of our 4 person premium. Seems like b.s.
Absolute
AG
chet98 said:

Yeah I was just having the thought of quoting my oldest (19) as a standalone driver. He will be off at Pitt without a car and home minimally until at least next summer. We've designed him "away at college" and got some relief but not 1/4 of our 4 person premium. Seems like b.s.
Been there done that! When our son went to Arizona State without a car I was eagerly looking forward to a big break in the 3k increase that happened when he was added. Imagine my reaction when I was told the relief would be a whopping $150 bucks.

I pushed back and basically said I was removing him from the policy. My agent, an independent guy at that time, had a fit and assured me I was asking for complete financial ruin if I did that. We went back and forth for a while and eventually ended up with some program, I don't remember the exact name, that basically provided full coverage for him on any vehicle that he drove to which he did not have regular access. So not a roommate's car or ours. but what was stupid was that he was covered on our cars as a guest for up to 30 days, so he was covered on all our cars over the holiday break. IIRC this one was around $500, so we got a 2500 dollar discount for a year.

Not sure I wouldn't just drop him if I did it again.

Youngest is different, since she took her car as a freshman. But still, we rarely let her drive our cars.
FDXAg
AG
My oldest daughter was destroying my rates. She's almost 21 now and last 18 months we've had her on her own standalone policy. She drives a car that is probably worth 5 or 6k, so we set her up with basically the state mins and no collision/comprehensive. Ended up being quite a bit cheaper than having her on our own policy, with our high coverages and our multiple vehicles.

Insurance companies seem to freak out at the idea, but my daughter doesn't have anything to her name, so less risk for her carrying low limits.
Absolute
AG
My guy back then made a big deal that there were countless legal decisions that show the parents can be held financially responsible in a worst case situation when it can be proven they provide more than 50% of support for the "adult" kid. That was pretty much his whole argument.

Have no clue how legitimate that really is or if it would ever really come back to haunt us in anything but a very worse case incident.
JAW3336
AG
Seems a little high, tickets and claims?
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
Absolute
AG
Just got our updated premium. Up another 600 a year. No claims, no new cars. Newest is a 2021.

Monthly include a cheap condo policy and an umbrella and the autos and is now over 925 a month. The majority of that is auto. It is insane! Every time I have shopped in the last three years I cannot find better.

Eta. Showed the wife the the numbers tonight. Now she is on a mission!

Quick research online suggests that moving the college sophomore on her own policy and putting her car in her name is a wash on that cost, but cuts the cost of our cars in half.

I think we are going to do that. She is at school more 75% of the time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.