Car Ins. Premiums - WTAF?

5,352 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Absolute
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Four cars four drivers

Me age 48
Rib age 48
#1 son age 19
#2 son age 16

Cars:
2024 Volvo XC60 (too late for rule 1 but very recent purchase)
2015 Audi Q5
2024 Hyundai Tucson
2009 Honda Pilot

$12.3k annual premium. WTAF? We are combined single limit $500k, uninsured motorist CSL $500k. Comprehensive deductible $500.

Not looking for agents to hit me up here but just wondering is this $12k insane or is this close to the reality of today? We're behind the burnt orange curtain in Travis County.
MouthBQ98
AG
$500 deductible? Try asking what price for $1000 or more? Liability only on anything you've paid off?
Kids can make pretty good money working just 20-25 hours a week with the wages they pay for unskilled labor these days, just saying.
But yeah, as car prices and particularly repair costs have accelerated on these complex newer vehicles with many specialized parts and systems, and as everyone is suing everyone else for anything, insurance is following suit.

Also, 1/4 to 1/3 of drivers don't have current insurance, so you and I are subsidizing that.
chet98
AG
Yeah we're liability only on the 2009. Hard to do that for any of the others but raising the deductible is definitely on the table. Will be interesting to see how that changes the quote.

Also about to drop the 19 year old to "distant student" or whatever as he'll be a freshman at Univ of Pittsburgh in the fall without a car. We'll sell the 2009 Pilot at that point.
chet98
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Also, 1/4 to 1/3 of drivers don't have current insurance, so you and I are subsidizing that.
Yeah have been in wrecks with uninsured motorists 2 or 3 times. REALLY pisses me off although supposedly not a hit to your driving record for ins. premium purposes.
MouthBQ98
AG
It might not get you individually but it hits us all collectively as insurance socializes costs, more or less. Everyone's rates are higher to fund uninsured motorist claims by necessity.
TXTransplant
I insure two of us - myself (45) and my 19 year old son.
2017 Infiniti QX50 and a 2015 Porsche Boxster. Both paid off. No accidents or tickets.

I'm up to $3800/year. Saw a pretty significant increase in the last 6 month premium. Kid is attending college out of state but has the car with him, and that's part of the problem.

I raised his deductible to $2k and it saved me about $200.
Canyon99
AG
I've got you beat at $13,200 annual with four drivers in the family (48,47,19,17).
cab559
AG
I'm up to $4,300 for two cars ('22 F-150 and '21 Yukon), 35% increase vs. last year.

Illegals / inflation = uninsured motorists. We are paying for it.

EMY92
AG
A year and a half ago, the premium on my Raptor went up by 50%. Just under $2,000/yr.

I called Liere, they found a policy with minimally more coverage for 47% of what Farmer's wanted. Shop around, insurance companies screw loyal customers who don't file claims.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I switched to Progressive last month after being with Nationwide for more than a decade. Cut my premiums in half.
chet98
AG
We're with Safeco packaged with home owner's. May look at USAA.
FIDO*98*
AG
Wife and I are both 48 and boys are 20 and 17. Cars are 2023 TLX Type S, 2020 Ram, 2022 Accord, 2021 Camry, and a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. We pay $12,000 yr. We get a broker to shop our rates and are currently with TX Farm Bureau
Mas89
AG
We are about 2,000 per vehicle with full coverage and similar coverage as op. What doesn't make sense is that 2016 and 2018 higher mileage vehicles cost about the same for full coverage as the new 2023 vehicles with 70k price range. The 16 and 18 are probably in the 20-30 k range imo.

highpriorityag
y'all are getting screwed

call state farm
it could also be where you live

I pay $6k a year with a couple minor non atfault claims with similar type vehicles
but I have 1000 deductible
chet98
AG
Yeah tell me how this makes sense…we're in the Austin city limits.

JOHN2010
AG
People who use the reference "the rib"
chet98
AG
HAHAHA! Yeah she'd kill me. I NEVER use in IRL.
maroon barchetta
JOHN2010 said:

"Hubs" and "hubby" are equally as terrible.
JP76
Can't speak for recent but 30+ years ago when I was under 18 my liability only was like $140 a month on an old vehicle and it finally dropped when I turned 21.
maroon barchetta
JP76 said:

Can't speak for recent but 30+ years ago when I was under 18 my liability only was like $140 a month on an old vehicle and it finally dropped when I turned 21.

For guys it usually doesn't drop until 25.
EskimoJoe
JOHN2010 said:

JSKolache
AG
For 12-13k per year you could buy a decent beater every year or two. I'd liability only at that point. That's self insure price levels.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Are the teenagers being insured on every vehicle or just the oldest?
Corps_Ag12
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Are the teenagers being insured on every vehicle or just the oldest?

This is a good question that I was wondering myself. Surely they are at that price point. You need to take the kids off of the new vehicles or buy disposable old Lexus sedans/SUVs and self insure.
TXTransplant
I was very tempted to drop back to liability on the Infiniti, but a quick Google search told me it's still worth too much to not have it covered in the case that it's totaled.

I think that's part of the problem - in addition to repairs being very expensive (thanks to all the cameras and sensors and driving assist), used cars are holding their value.

I'm seeing used versions of my car for sale for $17-$20k. IIRC, that's about 1/2 of what I paid for it. Previous experience with other comparable vehicles, and they had lost at least 1/2 their value at about the 5 year mark. I've had this Infiniti for almost 7 years.

At this point, I don't want to self-insure for that much. I think my threshold is maybe $10k, and I've got a long way to go before I hit that.

Goal is to just have the kid make it through college and then all of this will be his problem. Curse me if he decides to go to grad school.
MouthBQ98
AG
Also the reason I don't go much more than 5-7 over and drive very defensively now. Accidents are very expensive, as are moving violations.
Tumble Weed
I quit driving a car for about a year and a half.

Family of 4 and had two teenage drivers. Insurance was about $750 a month for 3 vehicles.

I decided to take Uber anywhere I needed to go. It was much cheaper than purchasing, fueling, maintaining, and insuring another vehicle. I have a short commute to work.

It embarrassed my wife and she thought that we were broke ( lol no ). So I bought a truck just so that she wouldn't be embarrassed anymore. We have a deeply ingrained obsession with transportation, and many Gen Xers are truly convinced that it is the ultimate symbol of wealth.

Kids are grown now and one is off the tit and my insurance is much cheaper. Hang in there OP, it gets better.

Max Power
AG
We went through this recently. Homeowners insurance went up 30% and auto about 25%. We drive older paid off vehicles, good driving history, and great credit rating. It sucks but if you shop around you can save money. I called somewhere around 10 different carriers, both large and small companies, to get new policies. Have your dec pages in hand when you call so you're getting a true apples to apples comparison. And call, do not get quotes online for either, it's best to talk to an actual person when looking for home & auto insurance. Keep in mind some companies won't insure you for certain circumstances, our roof is over a decade old so a couple said no just because of that. I was able to save about two grand between the two policies compared to our renewal quotes so it was time worth spending.
FDXAg
AG
I thought most auto insurance policies require every driver to be rated on every vehicle? That's what I've been told by multiple carriers.

The days of "I'll just buy a 1k beater and only insure my teenage son on that vehicle" are a thing of the past. Or is that not true?

If some companies allow teenage drivers to only be rated on one vehicle, let me know. Because my daughters only ever drive their own vehicles. Stinks knowing I'm paying for them to be able to drive all the cars on the policy.
TXTransplant
That was always my understanding as well.

Similarly, my son has his car in another state where rates should be cheaper (vs Harris Co). The car has been in Harris Co for less than 3 weeks out of the last year.

His rate actually went up this last 6 months, and the excuse they gave me was his "low mileage discount" was reduced because he's driven more miles this year. I find that hard to believe but I didn't verify because arguing will get me nowhere.
AgCPA95
AG
Ive had Amica for auto, home and umbrella for quite a long time and have priced it out and they still priced out best or close and didn't want to change as they have been excellent on a few claim on home (roof) and auto (uninsured hit me). First went to them when my incumbent was crazy high when I decide to keep my wife's older Audi as a 3rd car when we had only 2 licensed drivers. They seemed to price it more on miles driven in total versus us having 3 cars on the road.
chet98
AG
Anybody use USAA for home and / or auto? Thoughts? Pricing? Experience with claims?
Aggiehunter34
S
I've had my auto insurance with USAA for 35 years. They are not what they used to be in the customer service arena, but every time I try to shop car insurance they come back and say they can't beat what I have, but want to check home insurance. I've had home with USAA off and on. You just have to keep them honest every year or so.

Side note on homes: I am a mortgage lender and I see home insurance through the roof now. It's been a drastic change in the last 6 months. Some companies want the applicant to send their home inspection report to get them a quote. Some of them want to know age of roof, age of hot water heater, and what type of plumbing. I just had one come back in Flint that was a 20 year old home and the quote was over $8k per year. House is around $500k.
AggieKatie2
AG
So was looking at my policy since I got that new truck.

My current 6 month period dropped $70 due to the new vehicle.

Looked at my expected renewal in Sept and its scheduled to go up 30% for 2 vehicles, $1300 to $1800.

That makes NO SENSE
aggieforester05
AG
chet98 said:

We're with Safeco packaged with home owner's. May look at USAA.
Safeco is a criminal organization run by human filth. Run far far away!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.