Auto Insurance Claim Nightmare

2,828 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Retired Principal
Retired Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ran into a bad hail storm in Wimberly on May 9. Filed claim that day. Automobile is still in the shop. Is this normal?
Multiple supplements had to be submitted with Liberty Mutual taking up to a week to approve each one. Been out of rental car coverage for awhile. Frustrating.
CanyonAg77
AG
Damn emu lied to you
StockHorseAg
AG
And Doug, Can't forget about him.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I got caught in the same hail storm. I am still arguing with Nationwide on the value of my vehicle. They keep throwing out ridiculous low comps of other vehicles that had their odometers rolled back, trashed out interiors or frame damage.
SnowboardAg
AG
I know your pain - 2 house claims going now with them. Essentially now that I've shown them that I'm not going away easily, they've been more reasonable in trying to close out the claims. I hired a certified appraiser to help me get some resolution (not sure how you handle on the auto side though)
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It's the same. I hate to spend money on an independent adjuster for a used auto comprehensive claim. I'm thinking small claims court but I need to read the fine print on my policy.
SnowboardAg
AG
Understood. I believe they essentially want you to give up and come out of pocket. I swear that's the strategy. I didn't have to go to "appraisal" and they finally became reasonable. I also called their corporate and got their presidents office and that moved crap off dead center. If that doesn't work, file a complaint with the Texas dept of insurance. I would also fight the rental reimbursement bc of their games. I know your pain - just continue to escalate until you get someone that gets you. I've been through 3 adjusters so far on one property.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
My recent clam was may 24th to yesterday for minor repairs but enough to file a claim. Insurance was slow. I ran over my free rental by 2 days.

classicdoug
AG
Yes, very normal. The insurance companies do a very good job trying not to pay. We have to submit multiple supplements and wait weeks for approvals. On top of that, many insurance companies are using third parties to handle the estimates, and most of these people have no idea what they are doing. It's gotten worse since Covid and photo estimating started.
Mas89
AG
If you have a local sales office and agent, get them involved. Let them know you are not happy with their claims reps and that you need their help and involvement in the claims problem.
This is how I settled a 6 month problem with State Farm.
TecRecAg
AG
That is crazy. I was in a hail storm Memorial Day in Missouri. I have nationwide and my truck was completely repaired in 6 business days. No hassles from insurance either.

Sorry OP hope this gets sorted. Sounds like some BS to deal with
LCE
AG
Same. Hail damage. USAA was easy. Repaired in a week.
JAW3336
AG
It took over 3 months to get our Volvo repaired after a bad hail storm.

It was so frustrating.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
CivilEng08
My stolen tail lights and broken window took about 3 weeks in the shop with Travelers because of a supplement. Should have taken about 3 days including the trim and polishing.

Still have another supplement that I've been waiting on for 2 weeks for something that was missed in the original estimate, but I picked up the truck
Retired Principal
AG
OP here. Still a nightmare. Don't have car. Car has actually been repaied for just over a week but insurance has not approved final supplement and shop is waiting on payment.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I recently got paid, but not how I wanted.

Nationwide's first response was that I had $5,500 in damages and that the truck was worth $3,000. After salvage value, they were going to cut me a check for $1,300.

I argued that damage was $7,500 and my truck's value was around $9,000 and the provided comps backing it up.

Nationwide kept relying on crappy comps with ragged out interiors, rolled back odometers, frame damage, etc. After several rounds of negotiations, I settled for $4,500 and keeping the truck. I could have escalated it to an independent adjuster or litigation but the dollars involved didn't make sense. I will repair some of the damage and learn to live with the rest.
Jason_Roofer
Insurance has historically be slow but add in the massive amount of claims from recent storms, they are going to be even slower. If I can get a direct number to my adjusters, I will send my supplement in and then begin daily phone calls starting 2 business days later until I find joy.

Doing nothing and letting it sit will nearly guarantee it goes to the bottom of the priority list.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Retired Principal
AG
Been hounding them for days. They won't pick up phone Goes to voicemail. Sending emails. Have an attorney friend, who has vast experience with insurance law, drafting a demand letter.
austinag1997
AG
Mas89 said:

If you have a local sales office and agent, get them involved. Let them know you are not happy with their claims reps and that you need their help and involvement in the claims problem.
This is how I settled a 6 month problem with State Farm.

Huh. My opinion is most SF agents are sales offices.
LOYAL AG
AG
This thread is really good list of who not to use for home and auto insurance. You can scratch Nationwide and Liberty for sure.

Thanks!
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
robertcope
I made a claim with Progressive a year or two ago. Someone hit me in a parking lot. It was handled easily and quickly. The problem I had was with the body shop doing shoddy work. But Progressive was smooth and simple. Just a FWIW, I guess.
Retired Principal
AG
robertcope said:

I made a claim with Progressive a year or two ago. Someone hit me in a parking lot. It was handled easily and quickly. The problem I had was with the body shop doing shoddy work. But Progressive was smooth and simple. Just a FWIW, I guess.

Switching to Progressive after this ordeal. Heard good things about their claims settlement.
Old Tom Morris
Retired Principal said:

Been hounding them for days. They won't pick up phone Goes to voicemail. Sending emails. Have an attorney friend, who has vast experience with insurance law, drafting a demand letter.

This is what I ran into with USAA last summer with my kids' cars who were totaled in a major hail storm. Never answered the phone. Never returned voicemail. Never returned messages in their portal. Escalation lines never answered. On one car, they said it was totaled but took forever to communicate a settlement proposal. In both cases, the initial offers were $2000 too low. Nightmare process to complete when no one communicates.

I spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to reach a human. Their strategy has to be to wear you down until you give up and click "Accept" in the app. Not me.

The property side was on top of things, so the crazy part is we had major damage to my house repaired and claim done before I was able to settle two auto totals. It was ridiculous.
Jason_Roofer
It really depends on the adjuster. I've had many claims with a single company but some are on top of their claims and some just suck. That said, USAA is pretty consistently hard to get a hold of. There is rarely a direct contact, there are claim specific emails, and once you use that, it can sit for days and days before anyone responds. It's getting tough.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Retired Principal
AG
Update. Final supplement was approved and payment on way to collision center. They send through regular mail 5-7 days, so looking at next week. I'm trying to see if we can front that final payment out of our pocket and once collision center receives insurance check they can reimburse us. Our car has been sitting repaired now for over two weeks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.