2014 6.2L Ford Engine gone boom…

4,212 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dubi
kansas02gt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At 82k mi…

Apparently a broken valve spring lead to a valve becoming disconnected and rattling around in my cylinder number 4.

Probably something like this: 14:30+ in video

Except my pan and block are still intact.

Any chance of recourse from Ford on this allegedly solid engine? Single owner. All scheduled maintenance. No mods.

Any possibility the $3k on recently replaced (January) spark plugs (both sets) and wires and other svc caused something to cause this?

Other svc performed at that time:
.Coil packs on 5&7 replaced
.Throttle body svc and clean
."Injector flush svc" required injector clean and flush rail
."Direct injection induction service" that required runners and valve soak and flush

If not, any ideas of best way out? Rest of truck (Gen 1 Raptor, black on black) is in good shape and has a new fuel pump. Tommie Vaughn says $17k for reman crate engine swap.

aggieforester05
AG
I'd tell TV to EAD, that's insane and I know nothing about the 6.2L market. I'd be looking at ebay long blocks and an independent mechanic at the very least.
Silvy
AG
Did a dealer perform that service? If I'm not mistaken, they performed a direct injection service on a port injection engine and you were taken for a ride.

Quit talking to dealerships for vehicles not under warranty.
JB
AG
Silvy said:

Quit talking to dealerships for vehicles not under warranty.

Preach
sts7049
AG
broken valve spring ain't got nothing to do with any of those services

and find a motor somewhere else besides the dealer. you have a raptor, find a good performance shop
fixer
kansas02gt said:

At 82k mi…

Apparently a broken valve spring lead to a valve becoming disconnected and rattling around in my cylinder number 4.

Any chance of recourse from Ford on this allegedly solid engine? Single owner. All scheduled maintenance. No mods.

Any possibility the $3k on recently replaced (January) spark plugs (both sets) and wires and other svc caused something to cause this?

Other svc performed at that time:
.Coil packs on 5&7 replaced
.Throttle body svc and clean
."Injector flush svc" required injector clean and flush rail
."Direct injection induction service" that required runners and valve soak and flush

If not, any ideas of best way out? Rest of truck (Gen 1 Raptor, black on black) is in good shape and has a new fuel pump. Tommie Vaughn says $17k for reman crate engine swap.

Almost no way Ford does "customer consideration" on a 2014. Even for a premium vehicle.

Those additional services wouldn't have contributed to a valve spring issue.

If you have the time and don't need the truck daily, and if you like the truck and want to keep it, then I'd get a plan to extract the engine and tear it down to find the full scope of damage and the actual cause.

See if there are upgrades available to ensure the issues are rectified.

If you want to get rid of the truck, or are in a hurry, then getting a replacement engine is the fastest way to preserve the value and get truck back on road.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Maybe talk to my buddy who's a Ford tech and have him do the work at his shop at his home?
MTTANK
AG
If you decide to go another direction and sell this truck with a bad engine, let me know!
ls1aggie09
AG
Sell that turd and get a 5.3….for reliability and mpg. I know a guy
Texasclipper
AG
ls1aggie09 said:

Sell that turd and get a 5.3….for reliability and mpg. I know a guy
I guess you mean a 2006 or older 5.3...otherwise, this will happen at 82K or sometime...

Texasclipper
AG
The 6.2 Ford has a pretty good reputation, so this sounds like just an unlucky occurrence.

If it was mine, I'd find a good independent shop to replace the engine which will be thousands cheaper then the dealer. Be careful of where the engine comes from as there is a lot of crap rebuilt engines, such as much of the "rebuilt" stuff on Ebay. There are a LOT of crap parts on Ebay and a LOT of low quality engine rebuilds that will fail. I've had mechanics tell me even Jasper isn't that great anymore.

I'd either do a Ford remanufactured replacement or source a low mileage used engine.
kansas02gt
AG
Thank you all for your input. So Im leaning more towards picking it up from TV and having someone tear down to see if theres really no way to machine the block.

Ive been out of the car forum game for a while since all these titty baby engines have come out so Im not on the up and up on good shops around town.

I was in a bind so took it to TV; no way was I planning on paying them $17k when Ford reman crate engines are half that. However I would like some sort of guarantee and/ or the fixer to hopefully be around the next few years.

Low mileage 6.2's from raptors are not quite the easiest. Most copart listings have major front end damage or are 100k miles+. I read the super duty 6.2 has different cams. Please tell me if thats not true or if theres another source besides dumpster diving for a used low mileage engine.

This has been a great daily and is worth ~$35-40k (when running) ; Ive had it the entire time. I dont really want to drop $30-50k on a newer car with unknown history if I dont have to.

Ive always had two cars but also used to drive a lot more for work. Now Im lucky if I put 8-10k/yr, so I only have this one.

How much do you think I should expect to bend over when I tell them Im towing it out of there?
Mas89
AG
I hope you followed up on 1ags advice above. Finding the right shop/ tech will be key if you take it elsewhere.

No idea on the current charge at TV. Call and ask them if considering.
07&09Ag
Just had my 17 6.7L do the same. Was quoted 18k for a new block. Looking to sell it as is. Been a fun couple weeks.
aggieforester05
AG
Rebuild for boost, 3.8L Whipple, profit, we'll maybe not profit but toms of fun!
kansas02gt
AG
Or I could sell as is and get a 392 jeep or something. I think a sclade V might be too in your face, but maybe not
MTTANK
AG
kansas02gt said:

Or I could sell as is and get a 392 jeep or something. I think a sclade V might be too in your face, but maybe not
Still interested in your Raptor as is. Not sure if you have seen my other post's, but I'm glutton for punishment.
Lynch
392 Jeep is the way to go! I love mine!
kansas02gt
AG
After talking to Ford, I think the time has come unfortunately for me to break up with them.

She's still at TV, but after doing loads of research, it appears there are two main hurdles:
1. 6.2 crates are 4-6 month lead time…at best
2. Any shop outside a dealer will still be at least $12-15k, little to no warranty. $12k was a starting point if there are no issues along the way. I dont want a Jasper (they cant get blocks anyway due to govt priority)

Ford basically said, thanks for being a lifetime generational loyal customer, and spending your money at our dealers for routine service, but keep your receipts just in case there is a future recall…

Is there really a possibility of Ford giving one single F when these blocks are going by the wayside anyway?

Unless there is a massive repair spend on whatever the 6.2's are littered through the government fleet, I do not envision Ford being compelled to invest any resources in a recall or similar program/event to consumers.

Am I totally wrong or is there any hope?
TecRecAg
AG
Not trying to be mean here but your truck is 10 years old and out of warranty. Do you really expect them to just replace the whole thing for free? I guess I just don't know what you're wanting out of them.
Silvy
AG
1. Have you spoke to 1ag's guy?
2. Did you speak to Mexico Racing League/Aces Performance in Pasadena?
3. How much as is?
kansas02gt
AG
Since the valve spring is not what I would say common, but definitely not one off, I thought there would at least have been a TSB.

Same thing with a melted fuse which required fuel pump replacement and some fuse box work (a more common known issue).

I also wasnt expecting $17k+ (virtually half the value of the truck with running engine) for a replacement, or for them to be on back order forever.
kansas02gt
AG
1. Yep. His base is $3k to start, new crate is about $10k to start, so was guessing $15k+ by time its said and done. No warranty.
2. No. Imnot that familiar with engine shops in the area. Ill check them out.
3. Was looking for $28-30k, just going by copart. Could be totally off base.

I also feel like if i put a new engine in at 80k mi, the truck is pretty much mine forever. Which is fine but i will have spent $23k+ on this truck in the last year if I do an engine (granted that's at the dealer but still).
houstonag90
Would you be interested in selling the truck as is instead of getting it repaired yourself? I have been looking for a new daily and not opposed to one that needs some TLC
Furlock Bones
AG
it's absolute insanity how expensive it has become.
Tumble Weed
Gotta know when to cut your losses.

If you can sell it as is, it is best to walk away.
big ben
AG
Furlock Bones said:

it's absolute insanity how expensive it has become.

And the chitty quality of newer stuff, I'll hang into my 163k '14 5.3L as long as I can, nothing but tires, a battery and routine maintenance to date.
kansas02gt
AG
The rest of the truck is in great shape; I just dont want to dump a lot into it then have something like a transmission have major surprises.

I was about to do the rear brakes and the shocks will need a rebuild within the next 15k mi or so.

Unfortunately I need to nix my emotional attachment, but I know in 10-15 years Ill kick myself for getting rid of it. My nephews would love it, and would be a good ranch truck at that point.
kansas02gt
AG
Exactly. Less electronics the better.
austinag1997
AG
Texasclipper said:

The 6.2 Ford has a pretty good reputation, so this sounds like just an unlucky occurrence.

If it was mine, I'd find a good independent shop to replace the engine which will be thousands cheaper then the dealer. Be careful of where the engine comes from as there is a lot of crap rebuilt engines, such as much of the "rebuilt" stuff on Ebay. There are a LOT of crap parts on Ebay and a LOT of low quality engine rebuilds that will fail. I've had mechanics tell me even Jasper isn't that great anymore.

I'd either do a Ford remanufactured replacement or source a low mileage used engine.

Need a compression test on a used engine...
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
kansas02gt said:

1. Yep. His base is $3k to start, new crate is about $10k to start, so was guessing $15k+ by time its said and done. No warranty.
2. No. Imnot that familiar with engine shops in the area. Ill check them out.
3. Was looking for $28-30k, just going by copart. Could be totally off base.

I also feel like if i put a new engine in at 80k mi, the truck is pretty much mine forever. Which is fine but i will have spent $23k+ on this truck in the last year if I do an engine (granted that's at the dealer but still).

But there will be a warranty….
redaszag99
Try thuderbolt

https://www.tbolt.net/
dubi
AG
Quote:

But there will be a warranty….
On just the engine? Or both engine and labor?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.