'16-20 Tundra

3,699 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made an agreement to sell my Taco. Looking to get a '16+ Tundra. Not as familiar with the Tundra as Tacomas.

Anything to look out for year-wise? (I.e. any issues for specific years).

Looking for quad cab 4wd. Don't really care about the trim.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Those years are badass V8 that will last you 500000 miles if you want. Just be ready for 13-14mpg
zooguy96
AG
Yeah, I figured bad mileage… but I figured better than a Titan or F-150… and I don't want an Ecoboost. I value reliability.
Buck Turgidson
Not better than a Titan on mpg. Very similar engines and mileage (5.6 vs 5.7 liter V8). I shopped for a low mileage Tundra of that generation for a long time and got fed up with the crazy prices people wanted for them. Ended up with a new Pro 4x Titan for about $5k more than a low mileage used Tundra and got a 5 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Those Tundras are great but the used pricing was way too high when I was shopping. Also, I had a hard time finding examples that were not already a little beaten up from being used as a truck.
'03ag
Cam tower leak(oil)
Valley plate leak(coolant)

That's all I've heard about, but I have 200 series so I only see engine related stuff.

The cam tower leak looks like a JOB. Valley plate doesn't look as bad to me.

fixer
These are some nit picks or rare things I've seen on the 2.5 Gen Tundras

2019-2020 Aux Cooler removal.

Toyota tested the AB60F transmission and somehow decided an aux transmission cooler wasn't needed.

It has a tiny hockey puck sized "cooler" that routes engine coolant, upstream of the heater core, down to this cooler. So the coolant is super hot going down to the cooler. It used to be called a heater, now they call it a cooler.

These transmission temps, when towing, in high ambient temps were sitting at 275-285F. With no load the temps would be around 235-245 F.

The alarm for high transmission temp is at 302F. lmao.

The good news is that there are very few instances of heat related transmission failures, or failures of any type, in 4 years since this change was made.

Further good news is that this situation is easily solved with a kit from Genuine Cooling Systems .

They are a bit pricey but it has a great cooler and is all oem replacement parts. It is also fairly easy to install. Plenty of youtube videos.

Front differential needle bearings .

Across Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra, the needle bearings used in the front differential are known to be a problem with lifts over 1".

Even with stock vehicles these have been known to fail. It isn't common, but it isn't unheard of.

The good news is that they are somewhat easy to replace. Changing to a premium gear oil like royal purple or amsoil also seems to improve longevity.

But if you want to get rid of the issue all together, you can upgrade to a heavier duty bushing from East Coast Gear Supply

East Coast Gear Supply

Cam Tower Oil Leaks

Oil leaks from a section of the cylinder head that has a structural tower for the camshafts. The bad part of this is some trucks leak sooner than others. And it is random across model years. Although it seems like the newer trucks have less occurances.

As mentioned above this is quite a job to do.

Fuel pump recall

Toyota recalled about every fuel pump from every model going 10 years back (in case of some Lexus models)

I've seen maybe one or two instances of the exact failure mode described in the recall on 4runner.org and tundras.com in approximately 8 years of regular participation.

Headlight wiring harness

Some models had an issue with the headlight wiring harness overheating after extreme use.

These are rare issues. Relative to the other OEMs this is an astonishingly short list of issues.

I would buy a 16-20 Tundra with conviction. I'm actually looking at getting either a second Tundra (have a 2019 now) or a second 5th gen 4runner.

EDIT: if you think a new truck is better, I agree with Buck...the Titan Pro4x is a fantastic option as well.
zooguy96
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Not better than a Titan on mpg. Very similar engines and mileage (5.6 vs 5.7 liter V8). I shopped for a low mileage Tundra of that generation for a long time and got fed up with the crazy prices people wanted for them. Ended up with a new Pro 4x Titan for about $5k more than a low mileage used Tundra and got a 5 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Those Tundras are great but the used pricing was way too high when I was shopping. Also, I had a hard time finding examples that were not already a little beaten up from being used as a truck.

I may look at a used Titan. I've only bought a new car once (right out of college). I haven't bought new since. I usually buy between 2-5 years old, depending on the vehicle, price, mileage, and reliability.
JP76
The problem with nissan is the depreciation rate. The top worst depreciation trucks are f150, Titan and the Ram. At 5 years a titan value will be ~54 % of what it cost new. At 5 years the Tundra is ~72% of what it cost new.
JP76
How many miles do you drive a year ?
bam02
AG
Yes, but see Buck's post above. You save it on the front end.
zooguy96
AG
JP76 said:

How many miles do you drive a year ?

Probably 20k between two cars (I have a mustang and will have a truck).

15-20% of that is driving to Texas a couple of times per year.
El_duderino
2017 is what you want. 38 gallon tank. No safety sense monitoring sensors. Still has the aux cooler
JP76
I just don't see how the math works out on that deal.

The new titans I see are all around 45k to 55k and pro4x I see are like 60k after 5k discount

A new tundra drive out can be had for 50k

Also if you finance the interest rate will be higher on a used vehicle versus a new one so that also has to be weighed in the equation

What are 16 to 20 tundras selling for ?

I just traded mine in a few months ago with 136K and it was 5 1/2 years old and think it sold for 24 to 26k retail.

PatriotAg98
AG
As a Titan owner(and a previous Tundra owner), you get a WHOLE lot for your money with a Titan(ie tech, Car Play etc), plus the 100k bumper to bumper warranty.
You can get a low mileage(3-5k) Pro 4x for around $46-48,000. Just look around on Autotrader.
zooguy96
AG
PatriotAg98 said:

As a Titan owner(and a previous Tundra owner), you get a WHOLE lot for your money with a Titan(ie tech, Car Play etc), plus the 100k bumper to bumper warranty.
You can get a low mileage(3-5k) Pro 4x for around $46-48,000. Just look around on Autotrader.

If I go Titan, I'll probably go a little older. But, yes, comparable
Titans are much less $$ than comparable Tundras.
Buck Turgidson
JP76 said:

The problem with nissan is the depreciation rate. The top worst depreciation trucks are f150, Titan and the Ram. At 5 years a titan value will be ~54 % of what it cost new. At 5 years the Tundra is ~72% of what it cost new.

That's good if you buy one used then.
Dr. Nefario
Buck Turgidson said:

JP76 said:

That's good if you buy one used then.

That depreciation hit is also less of an issue the longer you keep the truck. If you plan to buy new and trade it in in a few years with 50k miles, you're going to take a bath on the Titan compared to the Tundra. On the other hand, if you plan to keep it 10 years and 250k miles, the Titan and the Tundra would both be pretty much depreciated out and much closer in value.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
JP76

The kbb value on a 10 year 4wd sr5 tundra with 150k is ~$20,071

The kbb value on the nissan with same options 4wd is $13,582

Backing that out with 250k the numbers are

$9946 for the nissan
$14,874 for the tundra

So I guess if you can get a new nissan for 5-7k under a tundra you would be break even on the comparison over a longer time frame.

GrapevineAg
AG
Same here… was looking for a used Tundra 4x4 under 100k miles. Prices were crazy high. Found a '14 Titan 4x4 loaded with 81k miles 1 owner for about $7k less than what I could get the Toyota for. I'm a Toyota fan, but I love my Titan. Can't go wrong with either imho.
water turkey
Great trucks
zooguy96
AG
Who on here has the highest mileage Titan? I tend to keep my vehicles for at least 200k miles.

Tundras are really $$.
krosch11
AG
I've had two titans previously. Both went 200K plus completely worry free. 7-8 years each . Routine maintenance, average use . I didn't pull heavy trailers but occasionally pulled animal trailers and flatbeds along with typical off road excursions in my youth. Great vehicles, sad to see them discontinued.

I never worried about depreciation because I kept them so long
Shumba
AG
I'm assuming the Armada is just as bulletproof as the Titan, right? My dad bought a 2022 Armada (bought it new back in 2022), and I'm kicking around the idea of buying it from him. He has two cars and doesn't drive the Armada as much as he thought he would. I know we are talking about the Titan, but isn't the Armada basically the same engine and frame? Any of you automotive experts have any thoughts about the Armadas?
krosch11
AG
It's a titan with a third row .
NoahAg
Shumba said:

I'm assuming the Armada is just as bulletproof as the Titan, right? My dad bought a 2022 Armada (bought it new back in 2022), and I'm kicking around the idea of buying it from him. He has two cars and doesn't drive the Armada as much as he thought he would. I know we are talking about the Titan, but isn't the Armada basically the same engine and frame? Any of you automotive experts have any thoughts about the Armadas?
As much as I want a "truck" truck, I'm really leaning Armada. In the big, used SUV category it really seems to give the most bang for the buck. Big, powerful engine. Good towing ability. Thinking practically about regular use, I'm more likely to appreciate the interior space than occasionally using the bed.
GrapevineAg
AG
Armada is a fine choice. Depending on what you tow and how often, it might not be as comfortable as the Titan due to a 18-19" shorter wheelbase. But it'll be easier to park.
MS08
AG
Have a '07 Tundra Crewmax SR5, 2WD. Bought it from a guy feeling the effects of the '08 crash with only 7k miles on it. Have put 200k on it since. Used to rack up the miles on it but now the wife's gets the brunt of that - have put 125k miles on her RAV4 since summer of 2015.

I'm looking to sell her RAV4 at some point over next 3 quarters and upgrade her to a used 35k mileage or less Palisade.

Plan to keep my Tundra until 300k, or at least let it see me through this next development. The 5.7s are tanks.
zooguy96
AG
I think I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a Tundra, for all the above reasons listed, as well as the dependability to tons of miles.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
zooguy96
AG
Will end up getting a quad cab Taco with the 6 foot bed. A real unicorn. Had to get something more quickly since my only car is out of action (transmission).
zooguy96
AG
Ended up not getting the Taco. Way too underpowered, compared to my 08 Taco. It was pretty sad.

Looking at an '18 Titan ProX today. Will probably buy it.
Pahdz
You talking about the new 2024 Tacos?
zooguy96
AG
Pahdz said:

You talking about the new 2024 Tacos?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.