I-45 Street Racing Epidemic

14,685 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Corps_Ag12
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Pahdz said:

Wow you banned YouBet for that?!


What was it?


He told someone he got up to 69 with their mom in a town and country.

Frankly it was hilarious and not ban worthy imo, but I don't know the rules of the auto board. That **** wouldn't get you a ban on premium
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah I've seen much worse elsewhere, especially considering YouBet's history and typically mature posting.

Probably someone he made mad on another forum.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone on staff hates your mom jokes because I've been threatened with a ban for making them too
Obi Wan Ginobili
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ILikeTacos said:

Sea Speed said:

Pahdz said:

Wow you banned YouBet for that?!


What was it?


He told someone he got up to 69 with their mom in a town and country.

Frankly it was hilarious and not ban worthy imo, but I don't know the rules of the auto board. That **** wouldn't get you a ban on premium


It was hysterical. The mods really screwed this up. Totally harmless auto board joke.
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

Jetpilot86 said:

Ya, that had something to do with Ford running a lower tire pressure than Firestone recommended to improve the ride of the Explorer. Headed up the tires when heavily loaded and Boom. Now Firestone tries to over inflate tires anytime they can.
Actually it was mostly people taking their Exploders off-road and airing down for traction in the desert, then not airing back up when they got on the road and drove their vehicle loaded down with people and camping gear at or above highway speeds.

My 1998 Explorer Sport had never been off road until about a second and a half after the tire blew. Then it was on a road, then off again, then on another one, then finished off road.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I drove a miata convertible this weekend and idk how people can go that fast on a bike. I was going like 70 and felt like a million miles an hour.
Jaspers Ghost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doors off bronco at 75 on the highway was enough to make me never want to get on a motorcycle.
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Freshman year at A&M we were walking to a basketball game and saw a pretty bad accident. Motorcycle was speeding on that small road between the rec and west campus garage. If that wasn't dumb enough, he passed a line of cars by going in the opposite lane. Well obviously the cars were backed up because they were turning into the garage. He T-boned one of them, not wearing a helmet.

We were right there so called 911 and he was convulsing or whatever so sat with his head between our legs so he wouldn't keep banging it on the street.

That was enough that I'll likely never get on one.
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I've driven 120+ mph several times on Interstate Highways with my top speed being 132 mph back in 2006 while driving my 2002 BMW M3


txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Freshman year at A&M we were walking to a basketball game and saw a pretty bad accident. Motorcycle was speeding on that small road between the rec and west campus garage. If that wasn't dumb enough, he passed a line of cars by going in the opposite lane. Well obviously the cars were backed up because they were turning into the garage. He T-boned one of them, not wearing a helmet.

We were right there so called 911 and he was convulsing or whatever so sat with his head between our legs so he wouldn't keep banging it on the street.

That was enough that I'll likely never get on one.
Had a friend in high school do that leaving school at lunch time one day. He went head first into the side of the car that was turning, but was wearing a helmet. He was pretty messed up, but he survived it. All his docs and the folks that watched the wreck said if he hadn't been wearing a helmet he would have been dead.
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i'm a gearhead but even if i werent i dont think i'd almost ever fired up a vehicle and not hit at least 98... that being because of some bull**** governor.

HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I've driven 120+ mph several times on Interstate Highways with my top speed being 132 mph back in 2006 while driving my 2002 BMW M3



Agreed.

Back around 2006, I was working in outside sales in LA for a Boston based company that exuded misogyny and we all used to park our hot rods in the same area of the parking garage.

One day I rolled up in my pride and joy, my 2002 Laguna Seca Blue BMW M3. At the same time, a new sales rep was getting out of his late model, Porsche 911 and we walked into the building together.

He asked how fast I had driven it and I proudly told him 132 mph on the way to Vegas. He told me that he was to chicken to go that fast but he let one of his friends drive his 911 on the Blue Diamond Highway when they were in Vegas and his friend got his 911 up to 176 mph.

An Army buddy of mine coincidentally also bought a 2002 BMW M3 and he told me that the rev limiter does in fact kick in at 155 mph. He found this out on I-10 near Lordsburg, NM where you've got about 10 miles of straight road. I also learned from that guy that it is considered unethical to screw your au pair but, it's totally fine if you nail somebody else's au pair who is friends with yours.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, I had to go out of town last weekend for a wedding in Nashville.
1800 miles of highway driving in my 1999 Ford Expedition about 80ish mph.

Notable high speed drivers were in Birmingham, AL and just south.
Dude in a Camaro ZL1 ironically with Arizona plates, and a brother in a Lincoln Town Car who had to be doing at least a buck twenty on I-65 South of Birmingham.

Loads of Dodge Chargers driving pretty fast and one lone turkey in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
In the crappy car department, one dude in a Toyota Corolla or something who was going 90-100 while texting and swerving (because he was texting).

Back to the OP topic, I had to make a couple trips to the mainland and back to board my dog. I saw these notables:
  • Ford Explorer with handicapped tag doing 100+
  • Chinese lady in the Cadillac smaller SUV crossover thing doing 100+
  • The guy in the King Ranch F-150 doing 90-95 mph on The Island after the speed limit on I-45 dropped to 60 mph. I now see why those tailgates are like $7k. The move he made to cross 3 lanes of traffic to exit at 61st was amazing.
  • Guy in the 15 year old Buick LeSabre who was going at least 90 mph in the rain who also exited at 61st in a 60 mph zone.
After the past two weeks, my conclusion is, this is just how it is in 2023. There are no cops patrolling out there so, people can pretty much just drive however they like. So... watch your 6 when you're on the road.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You say they aren't patrolling but I got pulled over for "speeding" but it was really for missing a front license plate on a somewhat back setx road by a state trooper. He let my me go with a warning when he realized I was just a dude with his wife and kid in the car not some meth smoking redneck I guess.
erudite
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ILikeTacos said:

At least now Houston won't have a street racing problem in March as Tx2k has relocated to Dallas after the closure of Royal Purple.

Street racing has always been a thing, and will continue to be a thing. In Dallas it is 121 from Carrolton to DNT, or up DNT to 380. I don't mind it when there is no traffic and people aren't putting others in danger, but as soon as they get into traffic they need to slow down to whatever the traffic is doing and wait for it to open up again.

I am constantly worried about bikes racing though. I am worried one night i will make a lane change and inadvertently side swipe or cut off some moron on a liter bike thinking they are immortal.

A few more I know of:
Lots of racing on the stretch of 635 and 35 up to 121 near Bass Pro.
They reworked that old 1 lane that runs next to North Lake from Macarthur to Belt Line because people would race on it. I think Coppell has a school near it now.
As for bikes there was that fella that ran himself off the 35 and 121 interchange and fell to his death in the swamp/lake area below.
That one road that runs parallel to the rail tracks in Coppell to Carollton. Belt line I think?

I once saw folks racing off of Valwood in Carolton.
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love driving fast and treasure my track time. I hate driving thru Houston. So many bad drivers in old or large trucks weaving and speeding it is nuts.

Keep the crazy full speed driving where it belongs. Track or desert roads.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

Keep the crazy full speed driving where it belongs. desert roads.
Some of my favorite spirited driving is bombing through the desert.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the way to Hobby this morning, I was doing 80 around Ellington and got passed by a Bro Dozer who had to be doing 110mph.

What causes all the black smoke out of the tailpipe for 5-10 seconds at a time with a break of 2-3 seconds between blasts of black smoke?
akaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

On the way to Hobby this morning, I was doing 80 around Ellington and got passed by a Bro Dozer who had to be doing 110mph.

What causes all the black smoke out of the tailpipe for 5-10 seconds at a time with a break of 2-3 seconds between blasts of black smoke?


The term is "rolling coal" in a diesel. Caused by incomplete combustion. In a brodozer usually triggered by cutting boost via a "smoke switch." In any other clapped out diesel usually caused by a blown turbo or massive boost leak.
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw a youtube on it the other day. It's a specific tune to do it and results in that mis-burning when mashing the gas hard. They apparently like trolling EV's/Hybrids with it.
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston Police Officer's Union calling out a street racer on Facebook and he responds back in the comments.

Link
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

Saw a youtube on it the other day. It's a specific tune to do it and results in that mis-burning when mashing the gas hard. They apparently like trolling EV's/Hybrids with it.



Back in the 1990s I was flying down I35 in Austin in a 6.9IDI. I was in the left lane actively passing slower traffic that was on the right. I watched as some mullet in a Camaro was weaving through traffic behind me and then in an instant came up on my bumper. I had every intention of moving to the right as soon as I got past the car next to me, but then Mullet started flashing his lights at me impatiently. I could have brake checked him, but what fun is that? I just downshifted to third and let him eat some smoke. Then I finished passing and pulled to the right so he could continue on impatiently. He told me I was Number One as he went by.
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These things happen.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wanted to come back to this thread after my drive home Sunday night.

Doing 80 mph 2nd lane from the left in my Jeep Wrangler, southbound, around Bay Area Blvd.

I was carrying stuff in the back so my rearview mirror was blocked. I had no intention of changing lanes and the road was clear ahead of me but there was a guy in a big white van halfway camping in the left lane.

I saw this flash of red through the passenger window and looked over just long enough to identify it as a late model Camaro. By the time I got to the second syllable of "Ho-ly ...." that guy was already a couple hundred yards ahead.

Then he slowed down to take the NASA Rd 1 flyover.

I figure he had to be doing at least 130 mph. The funny thing though was the exhaust was not loud at all. So... that was at least polite.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I realize it's not cool, but I tend to drive the speed limit. I don't go in the left lane, don't worry.
HumpitPuryear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe off topic but I'm here to defend the Nolanville PD....

Had a good buddy in HS who moved with his mom from our west Texas town to Temple the summer between our Jr and Sr year. He was visiting out west and needed a ride back to Temple so I decided it would be fun to spend the weekend there and I gave him a ride in my 1980 Z28. We consumed the remnants of a 12 pack from the night before on the way and had an impressive beer tab chain hanging from the mic clip for my CB radio mounted between the T-Tops by the time we made a quick pit stop in Killeen for a fresh six-pack and some gas. Shortly we were back on the road sans T-tops and the music blaring, it was probably close to 10pm and pitch black. My buddy had warned me about Nolanville several times and we slowed to double nickels at the Nolanville city limits sign just before spotting the popo under the next overpass. Being that we were driving the speed limit we didn't pay him much attention. Shortly after I was vexed by a tailgater with his brights right on our tail. A closer look revealed the red and blues through the glare. Oh crap! I pulled over and my buddy said "welp, we are goin' to jail tonight."

One officer approached me on the left while his buddy lingered on the right rear bumper. I rolled the window down which seemed redundant since he was already standing over me looking down through our open roof. I remember briefly admiring the white, red, and blue twinkling of the beer tab chain in the light of the cruiser before he asked me to step out. I was cordially invited 'round back where he put me through the field sobriety test which I passed flawlessly. I knew then what they meant by scared straight. Either unsatisfied or impressed with my performance, the officer requested that i recite to him the ABCs. Backwards. Pretty sure I heard a gasp of angst from the passenger seat and a little giggle from the cop. In the 5 minutes it took me to methodically and slowly say my backwards ABCs the other officer removed my paralyzed passenger and had him reveal the partial six-pack in the back seat and then empty each bottle on the side of the road whereupon he joined me in the bright lights behind the Z.

We got a lecture and reprimand none of which registered since we were both just waiting for the inevitable "turn and place your hands on your vehicle." I thought I was dreaming when I heard instead "You are free to go."

That's my Nolanville story. My buddy and I still talk about it when we get together. I think it was the summer of 1983, I believe the six-pack was an unintended ruse. Each of us was just part way through our first bottle which didn't create a connection to the beer tab chain and the cans were cleared out in Killeen. It didn't hurt being a pretty calm and confident 17 year old. They still had us dead to rights but let us go and for that I'm eternally grateful.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enjoyable, relatable and funny story!

Conversely, I know a guy from Waco who got written by Nolanville PD for 1 mph over.
HumpitPuryear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Enjoyable, relatable and funny story!

Conversely, I know a guy from Waco who got written by Nolanville PD for 1 mph over.

Welp, I wasn't speeding. Maybe DUI isn't in the right paperwork vs revenue sweet spot for the Nolanville PD.
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AtlAg05 said:

Is it because everyone is late for something or because their car is capable of the performance?


Its because
1. People no longer have patience
2. Every vehicle produced these days is fast
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blonde Coffee Beans said:


1. People no longer have patience
2. Every vehicle produced these days is fast
I think most cars are actually getting slower. A 2017 Sienna had 296 horsepower, a 2026 Sienna has 245 horsepower. Even a 2007 Sienna had 266 horsepower.

I will not be taking questions at this time.
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been researching minivans???

Do you have something to share with the class??
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.