Opinions on 3 row SUVs

8,637 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by drumboy
Silvertaps
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I just had our 2nd kiddo (daughter is 2) and we're looking to replace our 2018 Grand Cherokee. It's too crowded with 2 car seats. Her family is located in the Northeast and visit regularly, so trying to get something comfortable.

We're looking for the following:
- great car seat options (anchors)
- roomy 3rd row
- plenty of "trunk" space with 3rd row in use

Considering the Wagoneer, Tahoe XL, and Yukon XL so far.
Anyone have opinions of these or others that fit the above options?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
We are really happy with the 2022 Nissan Pathfinder, might want to put it on your list to test drive along with the Toyota Highlander. They are in the $38-42k+ price range depending on options. We have the SL package and I would not step down because SL gives you the power liftgate.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ford expy or expy max

Great get up and go, compared it to the new body style high country suburban and thought the ford was much better

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Auto Board falling down on the job.

Of course it's the minivan.

ElephantRider
AG
Jesus you need a Suburban for two kids?
Silvertaps
AG
ElephantRider said:

Suburban definitely not on my list as I'd feel like needing a Class B CDL.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Expedition Max.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Silvertaps said:

ElephantRider said:

Huh…? You do know that 'Tahoe XL' is just a pseudonym for 'Suburban'?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
ElephantRider said:

Tell me the difference from how you packed for a trip vs. how you packed once you got married vs. how you packed once you're married w/ kids. Those bags don't increase at a constant rate. It's exponential.

This man needs a suburban and an enclosed trailer.
Yesterday
AG
We have three kids and a Tahoe has done us just fine so far. There have been a couple of trips that we wished we had the suburban but overall it's plenty of room.
Silvertaps
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Silvertaps said:

ElephantRider said:

Apologies…I meant the Yukon XL. If the length Is comparable to the Suburban, then that's certainly too large.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
No worries. FWIW:

Yukon = Tahoe
Yukon XL = Suburban

The trunk space on all of them is a little underwhelming, but especially on the Tahoe/Yukon.
Silvertaps
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

No worries. FWIW:

Yukon = Tahoe
Yukon XL = Suburban

The trunk space on all of them is a little underwhelming, but especially on the Tahoe/Yukon.

Is the Expedition Max just as long as the Suburban/XL?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
The Expedition Max is a few inches shorter than a Suburban.

We went through this exercise and settled on a Expedition Max and really like it. Really liked our minivan, but couldn't fit enough people. The back seat was just not wide enough for the third car seat.
JSKolache
AG
Was gonna suggest sequoia, but i know you'd complain about the mpg. If you want 3 rows and trunk space you have only 3 options ... Chevy GMC Ford
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Canyon99
We've got three kids and enjoy our Expedition. Any trips longer than about seven days and we use our hitch mounted cargo box for additional storage. We have the second row captains chairs so the right third row seat (narrower side) is up and in use during travel.
AggieDruggist89
AG
OP, you said something comfortable. And also mentioned inlaws in NE.

Sounds like to me long drives and occasional 6+ in the car.

Do you pull a boat or a trailer that requires you to have a large SUV over a minivan?
Silvertaps
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Do you pull a boat or a trailer that requires you to have a large SUV over a minivan?

No road trips to NE. They visit quite a bit, so fitting my wife and I, two kids, and in-laws when they are in town. Extra storage in back would be for strollers/wagon and bags for kids (diapers/snacks/extra clothes). My wife and I are just anti-minivan
mosdefn14
AG
Minivan is the answer. Or rent something the once or twice a year you really need the roomy 3rd row.

Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition have zero cargo room if also using 3rd row. If not sometimes towing, pushing open gates, or taking Braeydyn to travel ball hopping curbs in the unimproved parking lots, the extra size/cost/fuel isn't worth it. IMO.

The Suburban/XL/Max is going to feel like driving a battleship around town. Great (ride, not economy) on the highway, but terrible fitting into the front row at Whole Foods or Container Store or most home garages.

We have a Highlander. It's great for 99% of the time for us, but you ain't fitting a stroller or groceries in there with the 3rd row up. As others have mentioned, hitch carrier makes road trips better while still being very easy to drive around town. The 3rd row is hard next to impossible for a grandparent to climb back into, even for a short outing.
Macarthur
Silvertaps said:

Wife and I just had our 2nd kiddo (daughter is 2) and we're looking to replace our 2018 Grand Cherokee. It's too crowded with 2 car seats. Her family is located in the Northeast and visit regularly, so trying to get something comfortable.

- roomy 3rd row

For hauling people, esp kids, and all the crap that comes along w it, there is simply nothing better for comfortable economic transportation than a minivan. When you have little ones, the sliding doors are especially fantastic.
Macarthur
Silvertaps said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

No road trips to NE. They visit quite a bit, so fitting my wife and I, two kids, and in-laws when they are in town. Extra storage in back would be for strollers/wagon and bags for kids (diapers/snacks/extra clothes). My wife and I are just anti-minivan
Everyone says this until they own one.
double aught
AG
Macarthur said:

Silvertaps said:

- roomy 3rd row

For hauling people, esp kids, and all the crap that comes along w it, there is simply nothing better for comfortable economic transportation than a minivan. When you have little ones, the sliding doors are especially fantastic.
I saw a guy messing with a car seat without crouching over thanks to the falcon wing door on his Tesla Model X and I was pretty impressed/envious.
Yesterday
AG
You can't beat a minivan for convenience comfort and MPG. Wife has zero tolerance for minivans. She's pretty great about most things thought. Doesn't want a big flashy house. Doesn't have to have a new shiny car but she put a firm foot down on minivans.
Macarthur
Whoa. Hadn't thought about that.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Just did 5 adults, 1 toddler, 2 dogs, golf clubs, cooler, and luggage on a 800 mile trip to CO in our Wagoneer.

Did everything it was supposed to. Very comfortable trip, even for those in the third row.

No one is going to be comfortable in one of the smaller suvs with a third row with 2 car seats.

My wife and I could barely fit in the third row of a Highlander with two car seats. Had to literally crawl over each other to get in and out.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Telluride
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Yep, few thirds rows will fit. 6 foot tall adult in the third comfortably , suburban(Yukonxl), expy or the wagoneer. That's pretty much it
HollywoodBQ
AG
The parallels are pretty funny. Just a few decades apart.

When we had one kid, the Jeep Grand Cherokee was great. Once we had two kids, it wasn't that it was too small, it was that it required a precise load plan to fit the entirely too much stuff that we'd take with us for a weekend out of town. I was OK with that but my wife couldn't deal with the level of detail required to fit everything in so... We bought a Ford Expedition.

The Expy has been great. You can pile all kinds of crap into it without planning ahead. With 4WD and the load levelling suspension, it rides smooth on the highway, tows a trailer great.

If you really need more room, there's always the roof rack for skis, snowboards, etc.

I've only had 8 people in it twice and 9 once. I'm 6'3" I've only ridden in the 3rd row a couple of times. But, for hauling 5-6 people around with lots of gear, it's great.

When my father turned 80, I finally put running boards on to help him step into the vehicle.

Planning ahead for your purchase, I let both kids drive my Expedition to college and while their friends complained about the age of the vehicle, everything works, can carry a lot of friends and beats walking.

My Expedition has been to 26 States, I've got 235,000 on the odometer and no end in sight. Especially now that I don't drive it very often.
texags08
AG
Got rid of our '03 Expy a couple of years ago with 300k. They won't die.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
CanyonAg77
AG

Quote:

My wife and I are just anti-minivan
Why?

This has always been a weird reaction to me. Why rule put the best option because of some odd prejudice? Do folks in your generation equate it to being old?

I was reluctant to get the one we had, but even an 2001 Oddy drove and rode better than any Suburban, costs less to buy and drive, and lasted longer. More space and overall utility. The new ones with all the bells and whistles have got to be 10x better than that.
HollywoodBQ
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

My wife and I are just anti-minivan
Why?

This has always been a weird reaction to me. Why rule put the best option because of some odd prejudice? Do folks in your generation equate it to being old?

I was reluctant to get the one we had, but even an 2001 Oddy drove and rode better than any Suburban, costs less to buy and drive, and lasted longer. More space and overall utility. The new ones with all the bells and whistles have got to be 10x better than that.
Canyon, since you're closer to working the land than most of us, you'll need to consider the yuppy (for lack of a better word) perspective. Since you're older and have had time to acquire the things you need and have acquired things that are built for purpose, consider that young folks gotta start out somewhere.

There's also a female angle to consider for those of us who are on wives #1 through #4.

I live in SoCal where you are what you drive (never work with a Sales Rep driving a Hyundai/Kia/Honda - unless it's an S2000, etc.) but I think for most of us, the hatred for minivans can be explained as follows:
  • We work white collar jobs so we're already emasculated to some degree. We never break a sweat at work, we never have to lift anything heavier than a ream of printer paper and we never get sunburnt. If anything, the only injuries we might get at work are carpal tunnel and eye strain.
  • For those of us starting out, we don't have the luxury of having 4 cars (I didn't get there until I was 36). We are probably going to buy at least one new car and it's going to be expensive. So, we need it to perform multiple roles.
No decision making criteria yet but here goes.
  • We don't want to look like every other emasculated lemming out there who gets led around by their wife.
  • We would rather drive something that is closer to a farm, ranch or drill rig. Even though we're doing inside office work, we'd at least like to feel some masculinity when we're in our vehicle.
  • Serving those multiple roles, we know that if we need to tow a trailer, we can.
  • I'm sure they make AWD minivans but, when we finally save up enough coin to take that ski vacation to Colorado and we want to drive our own vehicle there, we've got 4WD the the M+S tires in our SUV.
  • When people ask us questions about our vehicle, we don't want questions from old ladies who are thinking about getting a minivan to transport their dogs when they go out of town to beanie baby swap meets.
  • From the ladies perspective, they like the SUV because it sits up higher in traffic so they can see what's happening on the road ahead.
In summary, there are a few more practical angles to having a SUV versus a mini-van but when it comes to the primary decision criteria, it's mostly machismo.

But, if you're going to spend a bunch of money on a vehicle and own it a long time, you really should feel good about driving it. You don't want to have a vehicle as your daily driver that is something that makes you feel depressed every time you drive it.

My 2020 Wrangler was in the shop for about a month while they replaced the rear axle and transfer case. They gave me a Dodge minivan as a loaner. I wanted to slit my wrists every time I had to drive that thing. It's not the same feeling at all.
cevans_40
AG
Silvertaps said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Silvertaps said:

ElephantRider said:

Apologies…I meant the Yukon XL. If the length Is comparable to the Suburban, then that's certainly too large.

It's literally the same car
Silvertaps
AG
cevans_40 said:

Silvertaps said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Silvertaps said:

ElephantRider said:

It's literally the same car

Thanks, aware of that now
Teslag
AG
I love these threads. Person lists off a bunch of things a vehicle must provide. Perfect vehicle fitting all criteria is suggested and person says "no, I can't possibly drive that".
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.