Tahoe Gas Pump Stopping

1,988 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stringfellow Hawke
StillNotAnAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife's 2011 Tahoe won't go more than a few seconds of pumping gas without stopping. I Google'd and changed the Vapor Canister Vent Valve under the spare but that didn't do anything.

Any ideas what to do next? It's too hot to stand outside and pump gas that long.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
You got kids? Make them do it. Builds character.
CanyonAg77
AG
I blame the pump. Seems like no two pumps fill the tank the same way.
fixer
StillNotAnAggie said:

My wife's 2011 Tahoe won't go more than a few seconds of pumping gas without stopping. I Google'd and changed the Vapor Canister Vent Valve under the spare but that didn't do anything.

Any ideas what to do next? It's too hot to stand outside and pump gas that long.

Well something has to be preventing the ventilation during full ups.
aggie_wes
AG
Lol. Gotta love Chevy trucks. My 2008 did the same sh*t.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Don't fully insert nozzle.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just the tip...
AgCPA95
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Don't fully insert nozzle.
This helps but also figured out if you fill up with at least a 1/3 of tank left you were good to go, but that is annoying as hell.
JB
AG
Same thing happened on my 10 suburban. Ended up replacing the whole canister. There was a pretty good explanatory YouTube on it when I was researching the repair.

I think the first thing I tried was pulling the hose off the vapor canister and then going up the gas station and trying to fill up. It filled right up, so came home and order the $100ish vapor canister.
lb3
AG
fixer said:

StillNotAnAggie said:

Well something has to be preventing the ventilation during full ups.

If you're in an emissions county, doesn't the vapor recovery suck the vapor from the tank so no vent is needed?
Ag_Eng98
AG
Had the exact thing happen to me with a 2011 Avalanche. I changed both the vent valve and canister. I used a vacuum that I rigged up to suck the carbon out of all the lines from the canister and got about a cup or two of carbon. This fixed everything.

To note: a few months later, I also changed the vapor canister purge valve and vacuumed that line out and got some more carbon but don't believe it was causing any issues.

I also changed my habits and stop pumping when the pump first clicks of (I used to add a couple gallons more out of ignorance).
SnowboardAg
AG
Been dealing with this same issue for a long time. I found a station that I take it to, where it has 2 pumps that I can fill up within 10 minutes. It's the evap system (YouTube) and to do that, plus the fuel pump is around $1100 because you have to drop the tank. Mechanic told me he does 1-2 a month.

On a separate note, I was at the station one time a dude right across from me was cussing at his Chevy doing the same exact thing. He was clearly in a rush, but I told him the problem and offered my pump when I was done. It's pathetic this isn't a recall.
Ag_Eng98
AG
I didn't need to drop the tank since I vacuumed out the carbon from the lines. Here is what I purchased. Probably the same for a 2011 Tahoe.
$100
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B4KWHNS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
$32
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004O8ZCS4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
StillNotAnAggie
Thanks y'all. I'm try some of these. I've tried just the tip and just like at home that didn't work. I flipped the nozzle upside down. That didn't work. I'll try vacuuming out the lines and adding new canister. Appreciate the help.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Just the tip...

Don't forget to jiggle it a little too
Bonfire97
AG
It's either the vent canister (filled with charcoal and clogs with dust) or the vent valve (it has a foam filter in the top of it that clogs with dust). Change both like Eng98 said and you will have it fixed.
aftershock
I have the same issue on a Ram1500. I have found it to be way better in the summer heat than when it was cold. When it was cold it would shut off about 15 times between empty and half a tank, then roll though the other half with maybe a stop or two. It was extremely annoying. Last couple months it's filled up almost every time without a hitch.
SnowboardAg
AG
I probably need to look again - my wife's is a 2011 Tahoe and I'm not sure you can change those out without dropping the tank. I believe all that sits on top of the tank. I've also heard to get an air compressor to blow out the charcoal balls in the existing tubes. Sounded like a lot of work vs spending a little more time filling up. I've resorted to sipping on coffee and turning the gas station into a social club while I fill up the tahoe.
Ag_Eng98
AG
Was around an hour and YouTube was my friend. ...and I always take longer than most. I dropped the spare tire which made it a little easier to maneuver the hoses on the vent valve assembly.

And if you blow the lines, I think you run the risk of having to drop the tank. I do believe that the vacuum cleared the lines better than blowing. We had a kit like the following to vacuum the line.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/2251832627712543.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite4itemAdapt
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Just the tip...

Don't forget to jiggle it a little too

More than twice and just playing with it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.