Keating Toyota scammed my elderly parents

47,370 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggiepaintrain
Righteousgemstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TLDR; In my opinion, Keating Toyota in Manvel scammed my almost 80 year old parents of almost 20k

My Senior parents had been looking for a minivan (Sienna). Found one online at Keating and agreed to price on email. They arrived at the dealership and were given the classic bait and switch We just sold it 5 minutes ago". They then convinced them that they could get one in the dealership the next day. Claimed it just happened to be coming in.

They agreed on a price that seemed reasonable. They came back the next day and went over the numbers. Everything seemed correct and in order. They were taken to the typical finance upsell foolishness. Refused the add ons. The paperwork was all on an in desk computer screen. The finance guy said he written numbers they agreed on would just be input into the computer. They weren't shown any new numbers on the screen and assumed it was the same as the paper they had been looking at because that is what they were told. They were not shown any changes on the computer screen. They signed it electronically. My dad asked for copies of what they signed. They refused and said they were only allowed to put the paperwork on a thumb drive.

They left and took the vehicle home. When they opened up the flash drive paperwork, almost 20k of scam warranties, APEX GPS etc had been added on. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me they they were buying the car and I was caught off guard by this level of brazen fraud. Preying on elderly folks like this is beyond the pale and makes me sick to my stomach.

Looking at online reviews, this seems to be a common scam they are running. Naturally they are refusing to talk to them or return calls etc. What recourse do they have here? Complaint to AG? Anyone experienced similar with elderly parents?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Would for sure be putting this on BBB, Google Reviews, Facebook, etc.

Sorry to hear this.
heineman78
I would double check the paperwork as well as look online. Most extended warranties can be cancelled within a certain amount of time for a refund.

As for the GPS, i'm not sure.

Man that is slimy as hell. The last time I bought a car, The finance guy tried to get me to get the extended warranty and when I kept declining, he told me he could lower the interest rate to cover the cost so that the payment would be the same. My answer... still NO, and let him know if he could lower the interest rate for that, it was overinflated to begin with and threatened to walk.
aggieforester05
AG
Sounds like you need to hire a big fellow to break the GM's legs. I loathe people that prey on the elderly!
GTBullitt68
AG
How long ago was this? They should be able to return the car depending on how much time has passed. In GM paperwork, this would typically be on the back of the yellow sheet.
Cromagnum
AG
Time to call the local news stations.
Furlock Bones
AG
this is very important. usually it's like 48-72 hours, so get on the paperwork OP.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
Righteousgemstone
Unfortunately its been over a week. They were trying to resolve on their own by calling and going up there, just assuming it must have been an honest mistake. They kept getting strung along. I am sure all part of the scam to run out the clock. We do plan to try and get the news stations involved. Times like this I miss Marvin Zindler. Looking at Yelp, crazy how this is allowed to go in. Straight stealing from people.
nortex97
AG
Deceptive trade practices act.

Hire an attorney (seriously, pay 4 figures), and also contact Toyota corporate (they distribute thru GST/Friedkin).

Post everything you can on social media. Nextdoor, facebook, twitter, you name it. Document every communication they/you have received (meaning print it out, put it in a notebook with a contemporaneous note/recollection).
Furlock Bones
AG
Cromagnum said:

Time to call the local news stations.
this. maybe agproducer can chime in with a contact. truly no offense to the OP, but elderly getting scammed is bones to a dog for local news.
Righteousgemstone
Good point about printing everything out. Working on attorney today. I'm beyond pissed.
zooguy96
Post their number and have everyone on Texags jam up their lines.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
lb3
AG
Next car I buy I'm recording the entire transaction.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Do you know who purchased the RIC?
aggies4life
AG
Contact attorney general of Texas office:

If you spot price gouging or experience unfair or unlawful business practices, please file a complaint online or call our Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-621-0508.

Also dmv
https://www.txdmv.gov/node/952
Mas89
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Sounds like you need to hire a big fellow to break the GM's legs. I loathe people that prey on the elderly!
Do they have large glass front windows at the dealership?
agracer
AG
Go up to the dealer with your parents, ask to speak to the General Manger and calmly talk to him about your concerns and issues.

If they refuse to do anything, us the phrase "deceptive business practices, fraud, lying, and theft and taking advantage of old people" loud enough for the nearby customers to hear you and FOLLOW THRU with everything everyone has posted above. If a simple letter from an lawyer (yes it will cost you some $$) will get their attention and require them to spend $$ on their own lawyer.
aggiepaintrain
AG
you can cancel most if not all of the add ons for a full refund with in 30 days

if you need help PM me

or send message to Ben Keating with a link to this thread

SCHTICK00
AG
What else does Keating own, so I know to stay away and tell everyone the same?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Go up there with a shotgun that'll get their attention

dubi
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

Keating owns almost everything in BCS.
Righteousgemstone
Wow,

I didn't realize Keating was an Aggie. Makes this situation even more disgusting.

https://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/keating-toyota-manvel

Seems like what they did to my parents is a common scam they are running. Many of the Yelp stories are quite similar. Not sure how this is allowed to continue in the state. Truly dishonorable.

Retained a lawyer on their behalf today. They are filing a police report.
Making complaints to:
Texas AG office
Texas DMV
Texas Office of Consumer Credit.
sts7049
AG
scumbags
chris1515
AG
Get on LinkedIn and look up Toyota employees at the Plano HQ and start blasting off messages that you're trying to find someone to help with the situation. It'll catch someone's attention!
mrmill3218
AG
This is why I will never buy a car from a dealership. I got taken to the cleaners as a 24 year old kid in a situation similar to this. Truly so terrible.
Redstone
AG
Added to WatchList. Please update us.

I would reign down unholy verbal and legal threat hellfire.
Jack Cheese
AG
I'm no expert but I have a little experience in this area. I'm pretty sure that refusing paper copies in itself violates the law. That's a compliance nightmare - if what you are saying is true, and they refuse paper copies as a matter of policy, this has CLASS ACTION written all over it.

Those two words send chills up the spine of any dealer.
Max Power
AG
You'd be surprised what a strongly worded letter from an attorney will get you. Several years ago my parents bought a new vehicle and traded in their old one. A couple days after the deal they called my parents and had them bring in the car to have it checked for a "possible recall issue." After they took possession of the vehicle they were told the salesman made a deal that wasn't authorized because he gave them too much for their trade in. They could either renegotiate the price on the old car or they'd cancel the whole deal. Through a family friend they were served a letter via courier within 90 minutes from a prominent local attorney. And my parents were on their way with their new car back and an apology from the general manager.

I don't understand any business that thinks trying to take advantage of people is a good practice. This is one of those situations where a letter can probably remedy the issue quickly if written by a competent attorney.
Mookie
AG
Paperless is state compliant now. Some forms are required to be printed (like a brown paper which requires wet ink) but sales contracts do not.

Lot of Aggies and a few posters on here work or worked for Ben Keating stores. I word for a competitor and have no personal experience in his dealerships other than second hand experiences from relatives at his tomball stores and the OPs tale doesn't shock me.
aggiedata
AG
dubi said:

SCHTICK00 said:

Keating owns almost everything in BCS.

But not the Toyota dealership in B/CS.
Jack Cheese
AG
Mookie I think you're way closer than I am to the business. But I thought whether an electronic signature is accepted, whether an electronic document is accepted by the state and bank, and whether a paper copy must be provided to the consumer are three different things.

Providing a paper copy upon request was a federal requirement, I thought.

But I certainly defer to you.
rancher1953
Reading this makes my blood boil. I will never do business with a Keating Dealership. I will also spread how Keating Dealerships 'WILL SCREW YOU AND ESPECIALLY PRAY ON THE ELDERLY" I hope the owner does the right thing, but I doubt it. However, I will do my part to let everyone know so they will not be screwed.
tandy miller
AG
Toyota took 9 months to send me a $900 Gap refund.

Claimed they mailed it but I never got it. Also claimed it was cashed on their end (false). After plastering anything I could on social media and emailing them what I was doing some dude w/ "the office of the president" called me. Offered me a $200 gift card. I countered at 2k + forgone interest (<$5). We settled at 1 grand.

Wasn't worth it, and I'll never finance w/ TFS again.
FJB
tandy miller
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Mookie I think you're way closer than I am to the business. But I thought whether an electronic signature is accepted, whether an electronic document is accepted by the state and bank, and whether a paper copy must be provided to the consumer are three different things.

Providing a paper copy upon request was a federal requirement, I thought.

But I certainly defer to you.

I only got a flash drive when I bought my taco in april
FJB
htxag09
AG
nortex97 said:

Deceptive trade practices act.

Hire an attorney (seriously, pay 4 figures), and also contact Toyota corporate (they distribute thru GST/Friedkin).

Post everything you can on social media. Nextdoor, facebook, twitter, you name it. Document every communication they/you have received (meaning print it out, put it in a notebook with a contemporaneous note/recollection).

Pardon my ignorance, but if you're getting a lawyer wouldn't you want to avoid putting everything you can on social media at this point?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.