Jeep Grand Wagoneer Reviews (New model)

3,620 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agz win
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, this is happening now, after a long delay. Any thoughts?

The old one;

I've never even been in an old one, though I know they sold them for like 50 years.

Quote:

But by Grand Wagoneer's demise in 1991 the SUV market had changed. Competition came from all directions, on the domestic side as the Suburban became ever-more luxurious, and from Europe in the form of the Range Rover and (gray market) Mercedes G-Wagen. Fast forward to the present day, and the competition is even more intense. Just about every upmarket brand fields a full-size luxury SUV, whether of crossover or truck origins.

That hibernation from 1991-2022 is an issue for the Grand Wagoneer. Jimmy Dallas and Carol are dead or have moved on to one of the multitude of other prestige luxury SUVs. Domestic, European, Japanese, take your pick! People under the age of 35 or so who aren't interested in car history don't know what the Grand Wagoneer name means. Resurrecting the brand is handy for luxury SUV purposes, but they waited too long to do it. I won't harp on that point any further, I'll just say that Chrysler/FCA/Daimler/Stellantis has dropped the SUV ball since 1994 when the new Ram 1500 lacked an SUV sibling. They continue to drop this ball today.

The Grand Wagoneer is also too expensive. And I mean that given its branding, lack of prestige recognition amongst consumers, and frankly its dealership network. As Tim cited in his review, the Grand has a base price of $86,995 and climbs to $106,000 for a fully-loaded Series III example after destination charge. That's full-lux pricing, in a league with the likes of Range Rover, Cadillac Escalade, Lexus LX, and it's more expensive than all trims of Lincoln Navigator. What's the driving force behind this price? It's based on a Ram truck platform (and that's fine) and shares a Ram V8 (also fine). But Grand Wagoneer simply does not have the name recognition Jeep thinks it does. And when luxury customers walk into a Jeep showroom and talk to Chad Foursquare and are offered a small bottle of Aquafina, they're not going to feel very luxurious.

I think Jeep is painting itself into the corner of model differentiation issues. There are now two Grand Cherokees (standard and L) on a unibody platform like always, and two Wagoneers (regular and Grand) based on the Ram 1500. To most observers, these all look the same, and they're all "Jeep SUVs," except the Wagoneers cost $35,000-$65,000 more than Cherokees that look the same and are roughly the same size. "Ah, but the Wagoneers are trucks and have nicer interiors," you'll say. Worth that sort of price jump though?

The new Grand Wagoneer needed wood slabs on the sides if it was going to pull off the distinct image of the old Grand Wagoneer. The styling cues are a bit too literal where they shouldn't be (pillars, all the chrome trim) for Jeep not to take it all the way and slap some wood on the side. The Grand Wagoneer would've been in a class of its own at that point. Big, bold, and very American. They brought back an icon (too late) and then sorta half-assed it. Choosing white as its PR color of choice was also a mistake because it looks like a big floppy van-like whale. I'd never think it was truck-based, but rather a Grand Cherokee L-XL setup.

I don't have a strong opinion on it and am not in the market for this type of vehicle, but I am curious if others think it will do well. Anything with a Jeep name on it seems to get the price/volume they want for it, but this is pretty expensive and as the linked article details there are a lot of 'luxury SUV' options today.
clarythedrill
Looks like a lowered and slightly stretched Tahoe. Not bad looking at all though.
Picard
AG
Which direction does the back row of seats face?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
90k?!? For a Chrysler?!?
Ag for Life
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

90k?!? For a Chrysler?!?
106K for a fully loaded one. Insanity.

That's 3 used 2015-2017 F-150s or 10 - 2005 V6 Mustangs
Flaith
AG
I mean, the Grand Wagoneer was like $30k in the 1980s. That's probably $60-70k in today's money, and this new iteration has 10000x the technology and gadgets.

I guess there is a market for this? I can't wrap my head around $90-130k for a vehicle. I don't care how much it massages your gooch and tells you you're pretty.
tx1c
AG
I've never liked the wood panels, but I'm not convinced that it's a true Wagoneer without them.
nortex97
AG
Picard said:

Which direction does the back row of seats face?

LOL, front. I think only Tesla still has a rear-facing 3rd row (of sorts, if you will) nowadays on offer.

It's pretty plush by 'domestic' standards if you want to call it that nowadays even.

$2K destination fee? C'mon Jeep.

Quote:

With a six-figure asking price, maybe it's good to avoid the wood. The Grand Wagoneer starts at $86,995 and comes in four trims: Series I, Series II, Obsidian, and Series III. The loaded Series III I tested started at $103,995 and came with a head-up display, traffic-sign recognition, digital rear-view mirror, 360-degree camera, active driving-assist system, full-speed forward-collision warning plus, blind-spot and rear cross-path detection, night vision with pedestrian and animal detection, a 12.0-inch infotainment screen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, navigation, satellite radio, in-car Wi-Fi, rear-seat monitoring camera, wood interior accents, rear center console, heated second-row seats, cooled rear seats, four-zone climate control, second-row captain's chairs with power tilt and slide, reclining and split-folding third-row seat, panoramic sunroof, a power liftgate, and 22-inch wheels.

The only option was a $995 trailer tow package. On that note, a Grand Wagoneer equipped as mine was can tow 9,850 pounds.Fuel economy is a predictably dismal 13 mpg city/18 mpg highway/15 mpg combined.

With the towing package and a full two grand (!) for destination, my tester cost $106,990.

That's a lot of money for a lot of Jeep. I haven't driven the Escalade or Navigator recently, so I can't say exactly how well the Grand Wagoneer stacks up, but I can say it seems like it will fit right in among the well-heeled masses occupying the higher-priced ZIP codes surrounding whichever city you care to name.

It's been a long time since Jeep offered a large three-row SUV of this type. The Grand Wagoneers of old are classics now. This new one doesn't seem destined to be a future collectible, but that's probably OK with Jeep. The new Grand Wagoneer will fit in just fine in the private-school pickup line.
nortex97
AG
Ag for Life said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

90k?!? For a Chrysler?!?
106K for a fully loaded one. Insanity.

That's 3 used 2015-2017 F-150s or 10 - 2005 V6 Mustangs
That's what's curious/interesting to me. I know folks spend that much on cars nowadays, and while it makes no sense to me, it is a different demographic I'd think than the typical Jeep dealership has walk in. A 2010 Wrangler is around $16K (I think). The used side of a Jeep dealership probably is averaging around $20-30K per sale. New prices (Wranglers, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees) probably averages closer to $50-60K (again, anyone can correct me, just guessing).

They are including 5 years of maintenance/concierge service etc. like all the luxo brands do on it, fwiw.

Most real wealthy folks nowadays don't have a huge family, but a lot of people do drive full size SUV's with luxury names on them. Not sure if this will work out like when Lexus was spun out from Toyota dealers, or more like the Kia Genesis branding. Is the pricing alone snobbish enough to pull in the buyers they want? Will each dealer basically just get a handful over the next 6 months?
Coin
My first car was an '84 Grand Wagoneer. I owned two more Jeeps afterwards (Comanche, and Grand Cherokee), and decided Chrysler killed the brand. Moved to Toyota and now drive an old LX.

The article sums up my opinion fairly well. Waiting too long, too expensive, and not bold enough.
Frankly, I think it's ugly.
agnerd
AG
Agree with the reviews. If it's that or a Tahoe, I'm interested. If that's or an Escalade or Navigator, I'm not interested.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I guess Jeep is trying to go upscale from the Grand Cherokee.
I think there's a lot of overlap with the JGC L.

My biggest question behind the Jeep nameplate for the Wagoneer is, will they all be 4x4 and, will it be capable off-road i.e. - "Trail Rated"

Or, are they trying to brand Wagoneer as its own Make?

EDIT: Hmmm... looks like there is a Wagoneer and a Grand Wagoneer.

HollywoodBQ
AG
Answering my own question.
Wagoneer is available as 4x2 or 4x4 with 5.7L 392 hp V8
Grand Wagoneer is only available as 4x4 with 6.4L 471 hp V8

Both Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer have an Overall Length of 214.7 inches

Compared to:
Grand Cherokee - comes in 4x2 or 4x4 with a 293 hp V6, or 495 hp V8 in Trackhawk/SRT, overall length = 189.8
Grand Cherokee L - comes in 4x2 or 4x4, with a 290 hp V6, overall length = 204.9
Flaith
AG
Grand Cherokee continues to offer the 5.7L hemi (360hp/390ft-lbs) as well.
kubiak03
AG
Are we sure GMC isn't making these for them? Looks so familiar to a popular large SUV
HollywoodBQ
AG
Flaith said:

Grand Cherokee continues to offer the 5.7L hemi (360hp/390ft-lbs) as well.
I fooled around with the Jeep web site and couldn't find that engine. Only the 6.4L in the SRT and Trackhawk.
Flaith
AG
I'm seeing it as an option on the car review sites. The jeep site made my eyes bleed.

Most people want something "good on gas" so I'm sure they don't push the 5.7L too much
Ol_Ag_02
AG
There's been an old Wagoneer sitting at mechanic in Colleyville for at least nine months. I walked in last week and asked if the owner would entertain offers. She said no, apparently owner thinks it used to reside on a Reagan's ranch.

So there it sits, waiting on some dude to pay the mechanic to fix it.

Old wagoneers a cool.
nortex97
AG
kubiak03 said:

Are we sure GMC isn't making these for them? Looks so familiar to a popular large SUV
I think if you get a top trim Tahoe (not sure on suburban) you get a bigger engine and something like an 80K price point. Those are awesome.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12/2018-chevrolet-tahoe-rst-first-drive/
YouBet
AG
We've jumped the shark on vehicle prices and it's only going to get worse. When SUV's start flirting with exotic car prices and become a second mortgage. Freaking dumb.
Ogre09
AG
Inflation and feature creep

$40k in 2000 is $65k now.

Automatic braking, backup cameras, in dash tablets, tri zone climate control, sun roofs everywhere, traction control, stability control, XLT is the baseline.
gwellis
AG
So a 2021 Lincoln Navigator Reserce goes for over 92,000 ? Escalades go for as much as $109,000 MARP. Why the worry about a grand Waggoner that is in the same price point?

You can keep trashing on Ram and Chrysler for their past failures, or you can realize the quality of truck they are putting out these days. That Wagoneer is awesome looking and those features are outstanding. That Series III is every bit as nice if not nicer.

You can go buy a juiced up Suburban (Escalade) or a juiced up Expedition (Navigator). Or something new and different. I just don't see the issue.
Gil '91
GrapevineAg
AG
I owned a '91 GW and regret selling it. This new one does absolutely nothing for me - it's just a bloated version of every other run-of-the-mill SUV out there. There's a reason you still see a lot of GWs in commercials, movies, and tv shows - they are iconic.

Oh, and the fake wood paneling was the tits!
FIDO*98*
AG
YouBet said:

We've jumped the shark on vehicle prices and it's only going to get worse. When SUV's start flirting with exotic car prices and become a second mortgage. Freaking dumb.

Name the exotics you can buy in 2021 for 100K. I'll hang up and listen
HollywoodBQ
AG
FIDO*98* said:

YouBet said:

Wanna jump up in my Lamborghini Gallardo
https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/2007/lamborghini/gallardo/2520605

I'm sure it would require $25,000 in service or some such. But hey, if you want to party like it's 2007...

nortex97
AG
Yeah but the folks who owned these, or rather bought them new, 30-40 years ago, are not in the target demographic typically these days. The same is true for Corvettes, high end Jags, GT500 Mustangs, etc.

It's incredible Jeep got something like a 30 year run on the original basically only ever changing the facade hanging from the original grille. For the romantics, David Tracy did a restoration of sorts on his Golden Eagle 2 door Cherokee. It's a kind of humorous tale. Also the grand wagoneer.
Ogre09
AG
I wish they had kept it more utilitarian. Tow/haul/offroad. High ground clearance. Grippy tires. Strong engine (nailed that one). Outdoors oriented colors. Tougher and less ritzy.
YouBet
AG
FIDO*98* said:

YouBet said:

I did say "flirting". Paying $108k for a Chrysler is just insane.
Ag for Life
AG
I'd rather have this one for a third of the price:

Trashhawk
Max Power
AG
That just does nothing for me, why not buy a Land Cruiser instead?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
My take, their effort to play in the Full Size Segment.

They will need to have an entry level with a starting price at or right below 50K to play.

Stellantis has done LOTS of good work to make the interiors of the new Ram products nice, but only time will tell what lies underneath that quilted leather and giant screen in the dash.
ac04
terrible
Max Power
AG
Saw one of these in person for the first time today when I was in line to drop off the kid at school. If I was in this price point, which I'm not, I wouldn't have anything to do with this vehicle. It's boring looking AF. Looks more like a beefy minivan than it does a full size SUV. There are so many better options than this thing I just don't get it. A regular Expedition or Tahoe/Yukon looks so much better than this thing, if you step up to a Navigator or Escalade, no comparison. Maybe the inside is ridiculous, but who cares if the outside is meh.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Not a fan of the few I've seen in person. Expy all day for me.
12atm
Saw it in person and…Torbush
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.