Has the Ineos Grenadier been Talked about?

3,917 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ineos Grenadier

This looks really interesting. Reminds me of an old school defender

pnut02
AG
I dig it. Looks like a cockpit on the inside
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Will it be cheaper than a G-Wagon?
AgBQ-00
AG
Have no clue on pricing. Just saw it this morning have not found any pricing info yet.
Naveronski
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Ineos Grenadier

As it should. Rich British dude wanted a "new" old defender, couldn't buy one, decided to make one.

I did a market research thing with them/couple of their engineers a year or two ago, really liked several of the features.

Definitely designed it to go off road, will be interested to see how well it does in the states.
AgBQ-00
AG
article about it including pricing estimate

Quote:

The price isn't revealed so far, but Carfection notes it could start around 45,000, which is approximately $62,500 as per the exchange rates at the time of penning this article.
pnut02
AG
La Fours
AG
I would have to disable that button because I would constantly hit it on accident trying to adjust the volume or change the radio station.
AggieRob93
AG
It certainly has my attention, but I question what support/service/repair for it will be like in the states? Anyone dug into this and know?

Saw on the website Bimmer will supply the engines (gas & diesel), with the diesel hopefully an option stateside.
YouBet
AG
That price seems shockingly low.
BBRex
AG
I've been following this for a while now. I think they are still working out the dealership/support options in the U.S., and I don't think it has been settled. The engine is BMW, so maybe they would support it here? They are saying it will be here in 2023.

They talk was that they wanted to keep the starting price around 40,000 pounds. The projected price here was $50,000, but now I've seen between $65,000 and $75,000 with top end models close to $100,000. I'm not sure how much of that is related to import taxes.

They actually had one in Houston this summer, but I didn't see it was happening until it had already left. They only revealed the interior last week, so the one that was here was a display only.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/ineos-projekt-grenadier-an-old-school-4x4-off-roader-for-2020/
HollywoodBQ
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Ineos Grenadier

Looks like an old school Defender redesigned by North Korea.
malenurse
AG
gotsand said:

Pretty much everything is cheaper than a G Wagon
BBRex
AG
YouBet said:

That price seems shockingly low.

One of the big complaints about the new Defender was the price. The older iteration was used by farmers and tradesmen, and they said the price of the new one is cost prohibitive. The Grenadier might not be any cheaper than the Defender, but it can't be too much more.
agdaddy04
AG
Ah what the heck. Signed up for more information. I like that
txags92
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Ah what the heck. Signed up for more information. I like that
They had me interested right up until I read they were putting a BMW engine in it.
AgBQ-00
AG
It kinda does have a James Bond Die Another Day vibe in the pics.
File5
AG
Not an offroader but I have to ask - is two shifters common? Also, what do you put on a 500A switch??? (Picture of ceiling switches).

Love the look myself as well, definitely feels like you're in in a cockpit. Now I think about it it seems sort of strange - it's a common setup in vehicles, just not cars! Others have tried I suppose, but this actually looks good
BBRex
AG
Maybe the 500A switch is for a winch?

The two shift knobs used to be common on 4x4s. If you look at old Toyota 4x4 interiors, you'll see them. Nowadays a lot of manufacturers use dials or buttons to switch between FWD, 4 high and 4 low. Many still prefer the stick because sometimes it can take a little finessing to switch between them, and you get more control than with buttons or a dial.
HollywoodBQ
AG
File5 said:

Not an offroader but I have to ask - is two shifters common?
Yes.

In fact, "two shifters" is the distinction between an All-Wheel Drive vehicle and a Four-Wheel Drive vehicle.

The "second shifter" is to shift the transfer case between 4 Wheel Drive High Range (normal 4WD) and 4 Wheel Drive Low Range which gives you maximum torque but limits your top speed to about 45 MPH.

For many "newer" vehicles built since the 1990s, they might have all of this done electronically. For instance, my 1999 Ford Expedition has one 4WD rotating knob on the dash that shifts between 4 Hi and 4 Lo.

My 2020 Jeep Wrangler has the "two shifters" on the floor.
The transfer case requires that you shift into 2H, 4H or 4L.

Now here's a funny story about the "two shifters".

The last time I was in getting my 2020 Wrangler serviced, there was a gal in the waiting room getting her Jeep Compass serviced. She said that she really liked my Jeep and asked me about the 4WD system.

She asked if I had "Sand Mode" on mine. She said that a friend of hers had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had a bunch of different 4WD modes.

I let her down gently by explaining that I didn't have "Sand Mode". I just had 2H, 4H and 4L.
Naveronski
AG
I had a LMTV with terrain buttons, but those were tied to the CTIS, and worked pretty nicely.

Most newer terrain options just mess with braking and the limited slip differentials.
File5
AG
I appreciate it, BQ! Learn something new every day... I kind of like the second shifter idea, the more manual the better for a full driving experience IMO. Too bad you didn't have the "sand mode", probably could have done a demo for her down in Galveston
kosmostx
AggieRob93 said:

It certainly has my attention, but I question what support/service/repair for it will be like in the states? Anyone dug into this and know?

Saw on the website Bimmer will supply the engines (gas & diesel), with the diesel hopefully an option stateside.
Looks like they borrowed the shifter from BMW as well. Here's one from BMW's X3 page for comparison.https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/bmwusa/XModels/X3/my21/gallery/interior/BMW-MY21-XModels-X3-Gallery-12.jpg
Naveronski
AG
BBRex said:

Maybe the 500A switch is for a winch?
Didn't see it answered, but yes, most likely.
HollywoodBQ
AG
File5 said:

I appreciate it, BQ! Learn something new every day... I kind of like the second shifter idea, the more manual the better for a full driving experience IMO. Too bad you didn't have the "sand mode", probably could have done a demo for her down in Galveston
Oh, I could have done some Tone Loc and gave her my own ride but... she very nice and sweet but a little too thick. i'm more the Stacey Dash type or this new LA Channel 4 weather girl - Melissa Magee.

HollywoodBQ
AG
kosmostx said:

AggieRob93 said:

Looks like they borrowed the shifter from BMW as well. Here's one from BMW's X3 page for comparison.
I had an X5 for a bit. I hated that shifter. Not as bad as the rotating knob in RAM pickup, but close.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
gotsand said:

You need the BAIC BJ80L

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Bump because these have been popping up a lot lately online for me and are available for preorder in the US.

Absolutely love the look of them and don't think any other modern vehicle comes close in that regard, but a starting price of $70k+ on a vehicle that puts out 280hp and weighs almost 6,000 lbs empty seems steep.

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/

Street Fighter
AG
File5 said:

This is a true twin stick.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Is this pronounced like the character from dukes of hazzard?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
**** it,
It was free so I got on the preorder list for ****s and giggles
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.