PSA: Dealer installed "Apex Protect"

74,010 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by P.H. Dexippus
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I had geotabs installed in hundreds of vehicles for an oil & gas company. We used the data to monitor seatbelt compliance, speeding, and aggressive driving. More than once we used the geotab data to get us OUT of traffic citations and lawsuits...so the gps data isn't always bad.
Do you work for EMPCO?
CrottyKid
AG
This seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.
Tree Hugger
AG
The last consulting frim I worked for used geotab, the fleet manager in the Dallas office had a TV on the wall that showed the location of each vehicle in motion along with the driver name, it was kind of creepy.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Tree Hugger said:

The last consulting frim I worked for used geotab, the fleet manager in the Dallas office had a TV on the wall that showed the location of each vehicle in motion along with the driver name, it was kind of creepy.

I installed a few thousand last year.
AgCPA95
AG
Tree Hugger said:

Our HVAC service teams all have Geotab or similar services. For a dispatcher it is an incredible tool especially in large metro areas.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Tree Hugger said:

Our HVAC service teams all have Geotab or similar services. For a dispatcher it is an incredible tool especially in large metro areas.

Also prevents your techs from doing side work...
CanyonAg77
AG
I assume the Geotab is too expensive for individuals?

I have a tractor out in the country, it would be nice to know if it was suddenly headed toward Mexico at 70mph
dsvogel05
AG
How does this look? 2015 F150. Harness looks like it's wrapped in factory fabric.
Macpappy99
AG
My 2018 F150 didn't have one. Was suprised by the amount of oxidation down there.

2014 Mazda 6 was clear as well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dsvogel05 said:

How does this look? 2015 F150. Harness looks like it's wrapped in factory fabric.

Looks good
dsvogel05
AG
Thanks!
RushHour
CrottyKid said:

No Dealer is tracking **** with this product. The product is bulk installed during PDI on All vehicles on the lot and it's not removed if the customer doesn't buy it.

It's marketed to the dealers as an inventory tracker and an upsell product, but they aren't paying for the service on purchased vehicles. What on earth do you think the dealer would gain with this info?
dubi
AG
RushHour said:

CrottyKid said:

No Dealer is tracking **** with this product. The product is bulk installed during PDI on All vehicles on the lot and it's not removed if the customer doesn't buy it.

It's marketed to the dealers as an inventory tracker and an upsell product, but they aren't paying for the service on purchased vehicles. What on earth do you think the dealer would gain with this info?

Dear rookie,
We don't suspect the dealer is tracking it. We know they sold our demographic info to another company who does track our habits. Nice big database in the sky on marketing to 50+ year old women who drive a Hyundai Sante Fe.

RushHour
dubi said:

RushHour said:

CrottyKid said:

Dear rookie,
We don't suspect the dealer is tracking it. We know they sold our demographic info to another company who does track our habits. Nice big database in the sky on marketing to 50+ year old women who drive a Hyundai Sante Fe.

Dear salty dog, please show any proof that Apex is doing anything without the customer agreeing to it. I'm in the industry and am happily willing to eat crow if proven otherwise.

It's a profit center for the dealer and an inventory management tool. No one cares how often Susan is driving to Target via a piece of hardware installed on your car.

Your cellphone provides this information to all online advertisers (geofencing) without needing to install anything on your vehicle.
Buck Compton
AG
I guess we found one of the Keatings....
dubi
AG
Buck Compton said:

Bingo!
RushHour
Ah yes, please don't crush my soccer mom data empire. We are so close to overtaking Google.
sts7049
AG
actually, if you are in the industry you should prove us wrong. burdens on you, not the consumer.
Jack Cheese
AG
RushHour said:

dubi said:

RushHour said:

CrottyKid said:

Dear rookie,

Dear salty dog, please show any proof that Apex is doing anything without the customer agreeing to it. I'm in the industry and am happily willing to eat crow if proven otherwise.

It's a profit center for the dealer and an inventory management tool. No one cares how often Susan is driving to Target via a piece of hardware installed on your car.

Your cellphone provides this information to all online advertisers (geofencing) without needing to install anything on your vehicle.

HesRightYouKnow.gif
dubi
AG
Are you in the automotive industry?

If yes, what do you do?
Matsui
lb3
AG
Buck Compton said:

This thread had my curiosity, now it has my attention.
RushHour
sts7049 said:

actually, if you are in the industry you should prove us wrong. burdens on you, not the consumer.
That's not how proof works my friend. You can't prove something "doesn't exist", when someone say it does. The burden of proof is on the person claiming something is happening.

I'm happy to consider anything that actually shows this company is selling information through this hardware to anyone, without having something signed by the customer. I'll eat all the crow in the world.
RushHour
dubi said:

If yes, what do you do?
Yes, I am in the automotive industry.

I am on the vendor side of the F&I office. My company is the provider for the insurance products purchased in that office. instead of physical hardware like Apex, we do the full suite of non-physical products like service contracts, GAP, prepaid maintenance, etc etc.

Regardless of your opinion of the industry, the companies in it don't stay around by literally harvesting and selling customer information without consent.
dubi
AG
Quote:

The companies in it don't stay around by literally harvesting and selling customer information without consent.
Do some of the docs folks sign have consent clauses in the fine print?

sts7049
AG
RushHour said:

sts7049 said:

That's not how proof works my friend. You can't prove something "doesn't exist", when someone say it does. The burden of proof is on the person claiming something is happening.

I'm happy to consider anything that actually shows this company is selling information through this hardware to anyone, without having something signed by the customer. I'll eat all the crow in the world.

so then you don't actually know if they are harvesting data.

if you want me to buy it then you should be able to explain it. not just by saying that you don't think it's true
03_Aggie
sts7049 said:

RushHour said:

sts7049 said:

so then you don't actually know if they are harvesting data.

if you want me to buy it then you should be able to explain it. not just by saying that you don't think it's true

Does anybody have an instance showing they actually are? Speculating from both sides doesn't make a winner. Just two different opinions based on assumptions.
Furlock Bones
AG
RushHour said:

dubi said:

If yes, what do you do?

I am on the vendor side of the F&I office. My company is the provider for the insurance products purchased in that office. instead of physical hardware like Apex, we do the full suite of non-physical products like service contracts, GAP, prepaid maintenance, etc etc.

Regardless of your opinion of the industry, the companies in it don't stay around by literally harvesting and selling customer information without consent.

So you're the guy selling poor saps **** they don't need. Sweet.
03_Aggie
Furlock Bones said:

RushHour said:

dubi said:

If yes, what do you do?

So you're the guy selling poor saps **** they don't need. Sweet.

Technically they manufacture the products the F&I sells to people that generally don't need it.
fixer
RushHour said:

dubi said:

If yes, what do you do?

FYI you don't know **** about the " consent".

Plenty of experienced automobile consumers in this very thread who clearly didn't have all the information they needed for "consent".

But go ahead and keep throwing around the word 'consent' if it helps you justify yourself.

Jaydoug
AG
1ags signal. What do you think?

txags92
AG
Guitarsoup said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

uncover&humpit said:

I wonder if you can plug that sim card into a Hotspot and use the data plan its on.

Nope

Oh man, I wish I could run up huge data bills with that sim card and stick the dealer with it.
Would it work in a cellular enabled game camera?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jaydoug said:

1ags signal. What do you think?

you Definitely have it.

milkman00
AG
Toyota wants $995 for 5 years of Apex protection. Honda charging $695 for the device as an add on, with a caveat that looks like service is extra.
miley
AG
2019 Expedition. The vehicle has a Kahu/Spireon unit but I'm drawing a blank on locating it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.