PSA: Dealer installed "Apex Protect"

74,001 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by P.H. Dexippus
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rdunham98 said:

Pulled vehicle out into daylight and you're right, OBD on this car way on the right side. Looks clear to me. Thanks!

Good to go
RED AG 98
AG
Awesome. Thank you sir!
dubi
AG
1ags,

Does Mr Dubi have a tracker? He circled suspicious wires that are not part of the harness systems.

Hidden up above the brake pedal and awkward to even get a photo.

2019 WRX

Post removed:
by user
Mr. Dubi
third coast.. said:

Idk, but id like to know where he got that car from the future
?

The bundle is actually above the third pedal.
Post removed:
by user
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
That looks like the factory connector.
txyaloo
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Do you know whether these devices have SIM cards that might be removed/repurposed?

Would be interesting to slam one in a USB modem and download a ton of data
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
txyaloo said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Do you know whether these devices have SIM cards that might be removed/repurposed?

Would be interesting to slam one in a USB modem and download a ton of data

Good question. I'm gonna crack one of these open. Standby.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
As we thought, This is basically a cell phone without a screen.

Has a little capacitor /battery too it looks like.

uncover&humpit
AG
I wonder if you can plug that sim card into a Hotspot and use the data plan its on.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
uncover&humpit said:

I wonder if you can plug that sim card into a Hotspot and use the data plan its on.

Nope
CanyonAg77
AG
Capacitor battery... so if a deadbeat unplugs it, they have a few hours to locate the car.

Deadbeat in this case referring to folks who buy at tote the note type lots who expect to be tracked
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Capacitor battery... so if a deadbeat unplugs it, they have a few hours to locate the car.

Deadbeat in this case referring to folks who buy at tote the note type lots who expect to be tracked

Yup. For comparison, here's a Geotab device.

It's apparently on the Verizon network.
txyaloo
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

uncover&humpit said:

Nope

Interesting. Is your iphone carrier unlocked? That message normally pops up when the carrier has locked the device to their network/SIM

I have a feeling that card would work in desktop based modem with the correct APN. I'm a bit surprised they left debug pads on the board. You should be able to hook a USB JTAG to those pads and see what the device is doing.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
txyaloo said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

uncover&humpit said:

Nope

Interesting. Is your iphone carrier unlocked? That message normally pops up when the carrier has locked the device to their network/SIM

I have a feeling that card would work in desktop based modem with the correct APN

Tell me more.

I tried both iPhone and unlock android
Guitarsoup
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

uncover&humpit said:

Nope

Oh man, I wish I could run up huge data bills with that sim card and stick the dealer with it.
txyaloo
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

txyaloo said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

uncover&humpit said:

Nope

I have a feeling that card would work in desktop based modem with the correct APN

Tell me more.

I tried both iPhone and unlock android
What did the android device say? I have a couple USB -> M2 PCI adapters. They have a sim slot and ufl antenna ports on them. You can use Windows or something like a Raspberry Pi to debug the connection.

I edited my last post to note the debug pads on that board. You should be able to solder a JTAG to those pads and see at the console level what the device is doing.
dubi
AG
You in BCS? 1ags will be here next Saturday and maybe we could give you the sim for testing?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Nothing on my cars thankfully.

Except for OnStar on my Silverado so basically the same thing except it's factory.
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
Quote:

Except for OnStar on my Silverado so basically the same thing except it's factory.
So you are paying to be tracked!
aggielostinETX
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

uncover&humpit said:

Nope

You need an unlocked phone
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
PincheDriller
AG
Probably the sim is loaded with a certain APN. I have this issue when I have configured a 4G modem for IOT items in the field, I have to use specific APN info.
Post removed:
by user
slappy
AG
Damn, if I was closer to 1ags I'd volunteer my two unlocked phones to test. Unless you want to mail it to me.
akaggie05
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Mercury Topaz
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
slappy said:

Damn, if I was closer to 1ags I'd volunteer my two unlocked phones to test. Unless you want to mail it to me.
here's an unlocked phone...
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
akaggie05 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Mercury Topaz

That's another thread
Corps_Ag12
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

So you are paying to be tracked!

Eh, no. They don't charge you for limited services, IE being able to remote start your car from your phone. Pretty handy when you land at the airport and it's cold or hot outside.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Mac Haik pushes their "anti-theft" devices. I didn't pay for mine but had the app to monitor it anyway. It ran in sprint network and worked about half the time.

I had geotabs installed in hundreds of vehicles for an oil & gas company. We used the data to monitor seatbelt compliance, speeding, and aggressive driving. More than once we used the geotab data to get us OUT of traffic citations and lawsuits...so the gps data isn't always bad.

I myself used GPS Data to challenge a state trooper that pulled me over for speeding. He was certain he had the right vehicle. I submitted the geotab data to his corporal and received an apology phone call. Upon closer look at the trooper's dash cam, it was the vehicle behind me that was speeding. I could have told them that...
sts7049
AG
love this thread
nhamp07
AG

Hopefully the person that buys my 2018 f150 I traded in doesnt unplug this aftermarket remote start thinking it is a tracker!
The Fife
Would personal dashcam video do the same thing with regards to a ticket since it records your speed?
GentrysMillTX10
AG
The Fife said:

Would personal dashcam video do the same thing with regards to a ticket since it records your speed?

Maybe. In my situation, the corporal first tried "well I don't know what the speed source is on your GPS, it could be wrong." With GeoTab, I had GPS speed and ECM speed off the vehicle. I produced both data sets before I received the apology call.

With my oil and gas fleet of vehicles, we found GPS speed to be surprisingly misleading. A split second of GPS loss and then GPS reconnects and the vehicle went further than it thought it should have caused spikes in speed. We found ECM speed to more representative of the driver's behavior. GPS speed was generally unreliable.

I spoke at a safety conference about the work I did with geotab gps in the oil and gas fleet. With the data, we improved seatbelt compliance by 93%. Reduced posted speed violations by 60 something percent. Limited top speeds of vehicles with Ford's MyKey. During the two solid years of carefully studying the data and placing scrutiny on the drivers, there was only 1 legit injury accident in a fleet of 275 light vehicles and 770 heavy vehicles. We did have lawsuit/injury claims from fender benders. In two instances, the Geotab data helped prove our vehicle's speed and impact was either not enough to cause Injury or wasn't were the claimant said the vehicle was at the time of the supposed accident

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.