Dropped the oil pan in the suburban

1,502 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dsvogel05
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The other day I was hauling some stuff back from Bastrop and started getting a binging alarm, a serious issue. The console had a low oil pressure alarm, but the gauge wasn't bottomed and it wasn't getting hot, so it still had some oil. I got home as gently and directly as I could, keeping the RPm low and a limitless research showed the likely culprit was the o-ring on the oil uptake tube that draws oil from the pan sump up to the pump. If it splits or gets loose, the pump can suck in a bit of air Causing inadequate oil pressure.

Ordered a new pan seal and o ring and studied up on the pan, which is fairly easy to drop in a 2004 2wd suburban. The problem is it's the first time it's been done in 17 years and almost 400,000 miles. It took me a good hour or more just to clean the pan and the area around it from greasy and oily dirt and sand that had built up over the years. I probably should have washed it at a car wash with degreaser a couple of days before.
Dropping the pan was easy enough, but what I found in it was the nastiest sludge I have personally seen in an engine. That took 2 more hours to scrape, scrub, dissolve and clean out of the pan, the oil tube, and off the bottom of the block itself. What a mess. Once it was clean enough, getting it back together was fairly easy, but I was stunned that that 5.3 was still running so well with that much thick black goop in the oil sump where the pump pick up tube end sits, and how cruddy the screen on the intake was.

I used a good quart of mineral spirits getting that crap. Cleaned up.

Ag for Life
AG
I read your whole post anticipating a question and was disappointed.

Do you use dead dino oil or synthetic? Intervals?
MouthBQ98
AG
On a vehicle that old? I use whatever is on sale, and have for years. I do change and maintain it well enough, but apparently all that tarry crud doesn't just flow out of the pan when you drain it, and sometimes you have to go in there and get it out. The absolute worst part was cleaning the pan and surrounds off before starting. I could have saved myself a lot of work with a couple of doses of de greaser at the car wash...and a couple more cans of brake cleaner.

Sort of normal intervals. 4000-5000 miles, though sometimes I pushed that. I had a habit once it started using oil to let it go till the light would kick on, which was always exactly 1Q low, so put in a full quart and it was topped off again. No problem!
Picard
AG
No pics?
MouthBQ98
AG
Nope, my phone case got greasy enough just changing the playlists and checking texts. I had to use liquid Dawn to get the oil and grease off my arms, face, and back of my head. I should have taken a picture of the pan though.
vansprinkle
AG
It may not hurt to run a can of Seafoam in the oil just before your next oil change. I wouldn't put it in and run it for very long, just enough to get the motor up to temp and allow it to run throughout the engine and de-sludge it a bit. I bet your valve train is a bit gunky as well.
CanyonAg77
AG
Did it fix the problem? I had a 2006 5.3 with fluctuating oil pressure, and it was the oil pump, not the o-ring problem,

And seriously, using bargain oil and premium synthetic oil change intervals was not a great idea.
Silvy
AG
M1 is cheap enough that I just always run it. I'm afraid I may regret not replacing pan gasket and rear main on the LQ9 I just swapped in.

May be pulling the 60e soon anyways lol
MouthBQ98
AG
The sump intake tube screen was so gunked up it could have been that. The engine still runs fine after almost 400K after what I have been doing so it couldn't have been that bad. I didn't see anything alarming in the oil like metal glitter, so it seems to be doing fine.
clarythedrill
Plain old Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional is supposed to be great at cleaning and keeping an engine clean. It is pretty good oil too, and not too pricey. Might be a good candidate to run for 2-3 oil change intervals to help clean the engine up and keep clean.
dsvogel05
AG
You can always run oil made for diesel engines since it's has higher detergent in it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.