4Runner vs Outback

8,983 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NRH ag 10
fixer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redstone said:

I've wanted a 4Runner for years. Last weekend I pulled the trigger on a 2016 Limited with 75K miles.

I want to take this to 400K. If there is a cult, sign me up.

Sweet.

How do you like it so far?

I jumped back into a 5th gen this weekend as well with a Limited Nightshade.

Check out t4r.org

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/

The third gen folks have a great thread going about high miles.
Naveronski
AG
Cool new outback video I saw yesterday:

Looks like they're going hard against Toyota.
NRH ag 10
AG
I'm sure plastic cladding from the front and rear of that outback will be littering FS roads here in CO soon.
Naveronski
AG
Definitely. I'd've been impressed if they put actual rock rails/sliders on them, but that plastic won't do much for an actual rock/tree strike.
Redstone
AG
Great link. Thank you.

I am all-in. It just looks beautiful and drives like a champion. I don't get the criticism of the seats, which are excellent for my tall frame.
fixer
Also don't forget to grease the driveshafts. Yes the 5th gen still has greasable driveshafts.

The manual indicates the process and what grease to use.

fixer
Redstone said:

Great link. Thank you.

I am all-in. It just looks beautiful and drives like a champion. I don't get the criticism of the seats, which are excellent for my tall frame.
Here are some 3rd gen high mile threads that are entertaining.

400,000 Mile Club - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (toyota-4runner.org)

highest mileage??? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (toyota-4runner.org)

High mile 5th gens are at about 230-250K right now, at least based on this site. I guess that isn't worthy of a thread lol..

Redstone
AG
I'm going to stay on top of service at the McCombs dealership where I bought it.

I want this to be my mid-life vehicle. To the moon and back. I like it even more than I thought I would, although the dog hair really shows up in the second seats lol
fixer
Forgot to mention on the Limited the xreas suspension is neat and simple hydraulic system that helps keep the suv stable on road, and doesn't impact off roading too much.

however the struts are known for being less durable than those on traditional suspensions. Don't be surprised if the dealer throws an insane repair bill at you for a whole system replacement, if they find a small leak.

Most folks simply remove the system and "upgrade" to a set of Bilstein 5100s and can do the job in their driveway.

other tip: engage 4wd high and low once per month. The electronic actuators need it to remain free and clean. the replacement cost for the front diff A.D.D system and center diff are stupid expensive.

Lastly for AT tires Yokohama and Toyo now make ATs for the Limited 20" rims.

Redstone
AG
Great information, I've saved the thread

Any other tips for best maintenance would be appreciated
FC12
Are you in DFW?
I have 2013 Limited 4WD that I replaced XReas with Bilstein 5100s and 33" tires. All in my driveway - very easy install. I've also done the spark plugs and all differential fluids. Up next is coolant, greasing the driveshafts and drain/refill the transmission fluid 3 quarts-ish at a time.
Redstone
AG
No, not close. But I appreciate your knowledge
knoxtom
A well cared for 4runner will last 3 to 4 hundred k miles.

Problem is you will be stuck with the most boring car made in the last 20 years for 3 to 4 hundred k miles.

The only thing a 4runner does well is reliability.
El_duderino
I'd add checking out https://www.4runners.com/ as well for additional helpful info.
Redstone
AG
Looks great, runs great, comfortable, sturdy, durable

I'll pay the large gas bills and take this to the moon
fixer
knoxtom said:

Problem is you will be stuck with the most boring car made in the last 20 years for 3 to 4 hundred k miles.

Lol. Needed this laugh today.
NRH ag 10
AG
fixer said:

knoxtom said:

Lol. Needed this laugh today.

We should give knoxtom the base model 2008 Corolla I drove after college. It managed to suck the fun out of driving a manual.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.