4.3L V-6 Mercruiser Boat Motor Starting Problems

3,615 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hoodlum98
hoodlum98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a boat with the above mentioned motor that has a 4-barrel carburetor and I am needing some help in getting this going.

I got it to start and run for about a minute but it would not idle and seemed like it was missing and now it will not start. When I pulled the motor out of the boat two years ago to rebuild the whole interior of the boat it ran like a champ.

I just replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, oil, oil filter and fuel filter, along with cleaning the tips in the rotor cap and the battery leads. The carburetor is getting fuel but I'm not sure if it's flooding out the engine or what the problem is to be honest.

I am needing some help with this problem.
03_Aggie
May be a distributor issue if it went from "missing" to a no start.
Tumble Weed
How old is the gas? Did you try starter fluid?

One time my choke valve wasn't closing and I would press it down by hand to get it to start.
hoodlum98
AG
The gas filter is new and so is the gas. When it first started I used staring fluid and it did crank but would not idle and seemed like it was missing.
hoodlum98
AG
The fuel filter is new and the gas is new. I did use starting fluid when it cranked the first time, and I used it again the 2nd and 3rd time. So that's part of why I was thinking the engine was flooded.
aggie_wes
AG
Did you clean the carb? Sounds like it could be a clogged jet
TxSquarebody
I would put a kit in the carb and clean everything really well. Sitting for extended periods of time is not good for carburetors.
Floor it until you see God
hoodlum98
AG
I finally got brave enough to tackle cleaning the carb myself, I just took it off the motor and started piece by piece cleaning it. The inside was rusted in some spots and the jets were clogged, after using three cans of carb cleaner and taking my time over a 2 hr time frame.

I would take a part out clean it and put it back in, all of the gaskets were still good and the springs were all still good.

After I got finished I put the carb back on and after two tries the motor fired right up and has been running like a champ ever since.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.