****Official Tesla CyberTruck Unveil Discussion****

19,578 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggieforester05
DE4D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i swear to god there was either a t.v. show or movie from the 80's that had cars that looked like this, made out of cardboard and spraypainted silver
Goat Man
AG
I generally like Tesla vehicles but this truck is hideous. It makes the Aztek look fantastic. I do wonder if this is the most elaborate troll in history?
CrottyKid
AG
Is that an electric ATV?
Does it come with the truck?
Can it charge from the truck?

bthotugigem05
AG
Yes no yes
TexasRebel
AG
texasaggie04
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I think they should because that brings up a good question on towing and charging. If I'm towing a boat or trailer from Houston to SA or a cattle trailer in BFE Wyoming, am I going to have to disconnect my trailer to charge the truck? A gas or diesel can just pull through most pumps, but charging stations are, as far as I've seen, at parking spots because it takes awhile to charge a battery. You can't just pull a truck with a trailer into most (any?) of those spots.

So not only would one have to wait for a charge, they'd have to spend the time unhitching and re-hitching a trailer if they need to charge between their starting point and destination.

I'm no electrician, but couldn't they just pack the truck with a supercharger extension cord? I mean, it's no different than a regular extension cord except the plug right?
hatchback
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

They got so much right, but they also got so much wrong. Also, I don't mean to derail the thread, but what about this electric rig??

Honestly, given a choice between the two I prefer the looks of the Cyberteuck over the Bollinger.
Joe Exotic
AG
texasaggie04 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I think they should because that brings up a good question on towing and charging. If I'm towing a boat or trailer from Houston to SA or a cattle trailer in BFE Wyoming, am I going to have to disconnect my trailer to charge the truck? A gas or diesel can just pull through most pumps, but charging stations are, as far as I've seen, at parking spots because it takes awhile to charge a battery. You can't just pull a truck with a trailer into most (any?) of those spots.

So not only would one have to wait for a charge, they'd have to spend the time unhitching and re-hitching a trailer if they need to charge between their starting point and destination.

I'm no electrician, but couldn't they just pack the truck with a supercharger extension cord? I mean, it's no different than a regular extension cord except the plug right?

You will need a heavy guard cord to avoid voltage drops at distance
Ag In Ok
AG
Wait till one gets totaled and a body shop drops the cab and bed from an '87 F250. Or hell sell the chassis amd drive assembly to Icon and see what they can do.

YouBet
AG
Total troll job. Has to be.

Or.....

He was feeling desperate to release something because of financial pressures and this placates the investors while he creates the real truck?
ABATTBQ11
AG
texasaggie04 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Sure, but that comes with caveats. The superchargers are outputting something like 500 volts at 430 amps. Over a distance of 25'-30' that's gonna be a big *** extension cord. Sizing a wire for that current, you're looking at an extension cord that would weigh 60-75 lbs and and be a little over an inch in diameter if you used copper. You could cut the weight down some and use aluminum, but you'd have a thicker wire still weighing 30-40 pounds. Overall, that would probably be just as much of a PITA as disconnecting the trailer.
texasaggie04
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

texasaggie04 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Sure, but that comes with caveats. The superchargers are outputting something like 500 volts at 430 amps. Over a distance of 25'-30' that's gonna be a big *** extension cord. Sizing a wire for that current, you're looking at an extension cord that would weigh 60-75 lbs and and be a little over an inch in diameter if you used copper. You could cut the weight down some and use aluminum, but you'd have a thicker wire still weighing 30-40 pounds. Overall, that would probably be just as much of a PITA as disconnecting the trailer.

Thanks, never realized it would take that much.
longeryak
Ag In Ok said:

Wait till one gets totaled and a body shop drops the cab and bed from an '87 F250. Or hell sell the chassis amd drive assembly to Icon and see what they can do.

This is something this board hasn't really discussed. From what was said, there is no traditional chassis and the 'exoskeleton' is what provides the structure for the truck. If that is the case, the chosen wedge shape or a round or an elliptical shape are really the only ways to carry those kinds of forces. That means this isn't a troll job with traditional sheetmetal in some eye pleasing form waiting in the wings.
longeryak
CrottyKid said:

Is that an electric ATV?
Does it come with the truck?
Can it charge from the truck?

Cyber Quad will initially be an accessory for the Cyber Truck.
ABATTBQ11
AG
texasaggie04 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

texasaggie04 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Thanks, never realized it would take that much.

No problem
TexasRebel
AG
If you ever get a chance, point a FLIR camera at electrical stuff.
PharmD4
AG
This may have been mentioned in the 5 pages, but when the superhardened exoskeleton was being unveiled and discussed, I immediately started wondering what a collision between a cyber truck and normal vehicle (inevitable) will look like...especially given the weight.
bmks270
AG
For those wanting to lift it:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/lO2y0w3
AggieKatie2
AG

Pretty good video. Looks "better" without the backend covered and lights on. Sounds hella weird coming down the street.
CrottyKid
AG
longeryak
Tesla is claiming 146K deposits put down. With an ordering breakdown of; 42% double motor, 41% triple motor, and 17% single motor.
AggieKatie2
AG
longeryak said:

Tesla is claiming 146K deposits put down. With an ordering breakdown of; 42% double motor, 41% triple motor, and 17% single motor.

Easy to put $100 down, compared to what they asked for the other models. Probably for this exact reason.
hatchback
AG
And an easy way to raise capital for more R&D to take this from concept to reality.
PMD03
AG
I ordered a dual motor on Friday. As you say, $100 is a pretty low risk.
longeryak
As more details come out the angular shape is because there are no stamping machines that can stamp hardened(30 times folded) stainless steel. They have to score the backside to do those straight-line bends.
Buck Turgidson
So in an EMP event, is this truck completely dead, or does the body serve as a Faraday cage? Does stainless steel even work in a Faraday cage?
DE4D
AG
Running or not running during blast?

And since we are on that hyopthetical, discounting the tires which most people could figure out how to replace during an OHSHT time, how long would this ******* be useful without any form of maintenance
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
ABATTBQ11
AG
sw@n said:

Running or not running during blast?

And since we are on that hyopthetical, discounting the tires which most people could figure out how to replace during an OHSHT time, how long would this ******* be useful without any form of maintenance

Depends. In an emp event, there's no electricity to charge it.
Mateo84
AG
I was waiting on this Tesla reveal to decide whether I was going to keep my Rivian preorder intact ... and I am ... thought about putting $100 down for a Tesla truck as well but I already know that I'm not gonna buy that hideous thing.
Buck Compton
AG
I'd really like to know their answer to the jaws of life conundrum. If they make the windows shatterproof, with hardened stainless steel... say you get into a rollover accident and are unconscious with doors jammed. How do first responders get you out?
DE4D
AG
Debatable the level of damage the emp does. Say not an emp event. Just people stop going to work. And the grid crashes. To me the bed cover looked like a giant solar panel. But how long would solar charge take.

Either way would it severly outlast a diesel truck i can run off of peanut oil?
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
ABATTBQ11
AG
sw@n said:

Debatable the level of damage the emp does. Say not an emp event. Just people stop going to work. And the grid crashes. To me the bed cover looked like a giant solar panel. But how long would solar charge take.

Either way would it severly outlast a diesel truck i can run off of peanut oil?

Considering the interconnectedness of electrical grids, the damage would be catastrophic.

Time to charge by solar depends on many factors, but most importantly the size/capacity of your solar array, how much sun you have, and how much you want done. Think of it this way... The average residential solar system is 6kw, so you're looking at 30kwh per day with 5 hours of direct sun. So, to fully charge the 100kwh battery, you're looking at 3 days.

The super chargers can charge a vehicle quickly because they're putting out a **** ton of juice, like north of 200kw.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Buck Compton said:

I'd really like to know their answer to the jaws of life conundrum. If they make the windows shatterproof, with hardened stainless steel... say you get into a rollover accident and are unconscious with doors jammed. How do first responders get you out?

I'm wondering how crumple zones and energy dissipation in a crash will work.
cav14
Tesla has already been addressing the towing issue at superchargers since there are a lot of Model X owners who tow. They have been building some Supercharging stalls that you can pull directly into instead of backing up.
Ag In Ok
AG
May have some run if they infill the bed and make it a full size SUV.
And upsize their wheels.
And lose the ground clearance

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.