Lincoln Aviator

8,070 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by alabamaaggie12
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drumboy said:

lotsofhp said:

I've seen a few Aviators on the road and they are really beautiful. Fist time I saw one I told my wife (who could care less about what she drives and wants to drive her current civic until the wheels fall off) I'd found her next car.

But $86K!? WT actual F

I know this gripe is as old as time, but pricing on stuff these days is depressing. I'm very diligent with our finances and do everything that should put my family ahead and to be able to have a few nice things. But it seems like no matter the progress we make, prices will just keep going up at a rate that they'll always be out of reach.

Because that's the price the dealer will bury in the paperwork for a 8 year note while putting a relatively low monthly payment in front of the financially illiterate sap willing to sign papers he doesn't understand to get a flashy car .

FIFY.
htxag09
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

drumboy said:

lotsofhp said:

I've seen a few Aviators on the road and they are really beautiful. Fist time I saw one I told my wife (who could care less about what she drives and wants to drive her current civic until the wheels fall off) I'd found her next car.

But $86K!? WT actual F

I know this gripe is as old as time, but pricing on stuff these days is depressing. I'm very diligent with our finances and do everything that should put my family ahead and to be able to have a few nice things. But it seems like no matter the progress we make, prices will just keep going up at a rate that they'll always be out of reach.

Because that's the price the dealer will bury in the paperwork for a 8 year note while putting a relatively low monthly payment in front of the financially illiterate sap willing to sign papers he doesn't understand to get a flashy car .

FIFY.

Is this what literally every new car thread will inevitably turn into going forward?
John Francis Donaghy
As long as Ford Explorers with extra chrome and fancy seats are selling like hotcakes at $86,000, yes.
htxag09
AG

As long as Ford Explorers with extra chrome and fancy seats are selling like hotcakes at $86,000, yes.

Sigh, and if they're selling like hot cakes your point is moot, at least enough people think the value is there. And if your previous point is true, it's all poor, financially illiterate saps, just wait until the car you want is repo'd and buy for cheap. Should be a **** ton out there.
John Francis Donaghy
I've actually done that before. Bought a Silverado that was 10 months old and had roughly 10k miles on it. GM still considered it a new vehicle sale and gave me the full warranties like it was a new purchase. Best deal I've ever gotten on a vehicle.

Of course. Back then, I paid $12k for a basically new half ton truck, albeit a stripped down base model. So it was a different car buying world all around.
chimpanzee
Who doesn't like a little Dave Ramsey on the auto board?

Vehicle prices are fairly insane, and lending practices are just boggling my mind. If the economy pulls back, the repo lots will look like the Harvey flood impound at HRP.
EMY92
AG
It's been that way for 30 years.

Many people assume that the good times are going to continue forever and buy beyond their means. Car, houses, electronics, vacations, etc.

Cars and houses can easily be repo'd.
drumboy
AG
When the market crashed around 08-09 I remember you could get Tahoes for around $25K so we can hold out hope.

Kidding...I'd rather my 401K not lose half its value over getting a deal on a new car.
'03ag
lotsofhp said:

But $86K!? WT actual F

Well. Sort of. That's what inflation does. That's why most people will be lucky if the money they put away in their 20s has the same buying power when they're in their 70s.

On the other hand, by many standards today's loaded Mazda CX-9 would've been the nicest, most high tech, car on the road 20 years ago. For under $45k. I'd say a diligent saver can get ahead pretty well.
lotsofhp
AG
To add to the convo on car pricing, while it does seem like the prices are getting out of hand, I do recognize that we as consumers demand more and more out of the car.

There are still affordable cars out there, but you're going to feel let down in your base F150 when everyone else seems to be driving King Ranch and Platinums.
Buck Turgidson
AgLiving06 said:

Buck

I'm curious what problems you had with the Houston dealers?
I have dealt with 3 Lincoln dealers in Houston:

Planet Lincoln - on my first Navigator, I had to work the salesman down on price for weeks. Then afterward, despite my repeated, clear instructions that they were NEVER to email me after the transaction, they spammed the **** out of me. The overall dealership is dirty and run down, except for the newer Lincoln showroom they jammed in next to the used car section several years back. The salespeople all look and act like middle-aged retreads trying to recover from a long string of personal failures. The service department is untrustworthy and will try to overcharge you pretty badly.

West Point Lincoln - the best of a sad bunch. Nicer dealership, marginally competent service that can remove and install plug-and-play components, but are worthless as actual mechanics and cannot diagnose anything that doesn't show up on a computer readout. For example - rather than lubricating the moving parts of the power folding mirrors that were making a dry, grating sound, they replaced the entire power mirror. Since that was under warranty, I didn't bother arguing.

Bayway Lincoln - I only dealt with the preowned salesman but he was an unethical sack of sh*t who tried to overcharge me by several thousand by basically double-counting the certified, pre-owned warranty cost. I will say the dealership is a dump. After dealing with that a-hole, I drove out to San Antonio and had a painless experience with North Park.
Buck Turgidson
BTW, I had a 2015 Navigator (that I bought new) with 95,000 miles that got totaled recently. I couldn't bring myself to spring for a new Navigator just yet, so I bought a low mileage certified preowned 2016 Navigator. After the insurance proceeds, I was out of pocket roughly $10k to get essentially the same vehicle with 65,000 fewer miles and a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. That will hold me until they come up with an interior that is worth the extra bucks or until a competitor introduces a better option (next gen Escalade maybe?).
AgLiving06

This is a bit misleading.

A 2020 Ford Explorer with the v6 (ST or Limited) is going to run near $55k (This was bid by 1ag's contact).

A 2020 Lincoln Aviator (Reserve) is going going for $56k before negotiations if the car is on the lot.

So for $1k, you can get car with significant upgrades.

However, in the upper levels you certainly see a significant price jump, first to the "Black Label brand" and get into the hybrid systems with air ride suspension and so forth. But don't all brands jump that big when you add that stuff. Not that most will buy that.
AgLiving06
Thanks. Interestingly enough, West Point looks to have opened a new location in Sugarland. Assume since it's new it will be nicer. It's certainly smaller though.
Buck Turgidson
AgLiving06 said:

Thanks. Interestingly enough, West Point looks to have opened a new location in Sugarland. Assume since it's new it will be nicer. It's certainly smaller though.
Yeah, I saw an ad for the new dealership but haven't been there yet.

Overall, Lincoln does not have dealerships that are really ready to compete against Lexus or Infiniti. The cars are rapidly becoming competitive (which is why I traded in a Lexus for a Navigator in 2015), but the dealerships are basically managed like Ford dealerships. That won't cut it when you are selling $80-$100k vehicles. Lincoln should be cleaning up with the excellent new vehicles they are producing.
lotsofhp
AG
I'd also like to add to this thread that the new continental is a really sharp car too
hatchback
AG
lotsofhp said:

I'd also like to add to this thread that the new continental is a really sharp car too

Much love for the new Continental. My wife and I had one chauffeur us between the church and our reception two years ago for our wedding. Although, it had nothing on the RR Phantom as our getaway from the reception.
longeryak
Buck Turgidson said:

AgLiving06 said:

Overall, Lincoln does not have dealerships that are really ready to compete against Lexus or Infiniti. The cars are rapidly becoming competitive (which is why I traded in a Lexus for a Navigator in 2015), but the dealerships are basically managed like Ford dealerships. That won't cut it when you are selling $80-$100k vehicles. Lincoln should be cleaning up with the excellent new vehicles they are producing.
I know a few number crunchers who passed on owning a Genesis as they'd have to sit in a Hyundai service department wait room for standard maintenance. Hyundai made a mistake by not going the Lexus, Acura , Infinity separate dealership route for Genesis.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
longeryak said:

Buck Turgidson said:

AgLiving06 said:

I know a few number crunchers who passed on owning a Genesis as they'd have to sit in a Hyundai service department wait room for standard maintenance. Hyundai made a mistake by not going the Lexus, Acura , Infinity separate dealership route for Genesis.

They are getting there, give it ten years. Genesis just became its own brand in 2017 or 2018.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

My experience is that the three Houston Lincoln dealers are a bunch of *******s, with West Point Lincoln being the least scummy. I ended up driving to San Antonio to get my most recent purchase from North Park Lincoln.
My parents just ordered an Aviator from North Park Lincoln

Does anyone have any updates on the Aviator, I've really liked the way they look on the road, and my parents test drove it and liked it a lot.
alabamaaggie12
AG
I ordered one a week or so ago from Ray Pearman in Huntsville, AL. The salesman said I would hopefully get it by February. With the holidays coming there will be interruptions in the production schedule, and transportation issues add to the delays.

I think the first year they came out there were a lot of issues they had to work through, but I am hoping those are fixed! Looking forward to the comfort, quiet, and lots of bells and whistles I'll struggle to figure out, lol.

GiveUsRoom94
We love our Aviator. Traded at Planet Lincoln (Love Field)

Got treated like you'd expect when buying a luxury vehicle. We got the reserve AWD. It's probably my favorite vehicle we've ever owned.
The TT 3.0 is a great engine. I love driving it.
Sling Blade
AG
For Genesis, they actually got away from spinning up full blown dealerships due to COVID.

Instead, they call you and setup concierge service to swap out cars.
ktownag08
AG
We love ours as well. Bought it from West Point in Houston just over a year ago and have had no issues sans minor warranty/recall work. Ours is a Reserve 2 AWD trim. It's also the first car I've driven that's noticably turned heads and garnered compliments from friends (not that that's what we care about but still cool none the less).

As for driving, it's super smooth and very quiet on the inside. It's also very quick. My kids love when I put it into "Excite" mode and just mash it. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds for such a large vehicle is just ridiculous!

We had considered Telluride and Palisade among others, but still very happy with our choice. Those and others are great cars in their own right, but the Aviator just had a different feel that the both really enjoy.
htxag09
AG
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Aviator. But isn't it like $20k, 30%+ more than than the Telluride or Palisade?
ktownag08
AG
Different calculus when we bought.

At the time, for a loaded Telluride or Palisade, it would have been 50-55k. Lower end if order and wait several months and upper end if paid dealer mark ups that were (are still?) everywhere to drive home same day. We paid 67k for our Aviator (well below MSRP) that was on the lot so really only a 12k spread for an actual luxury car.

I point out those other vehicles though as a lot of folks are cross shopping Telluride/Palisade with XC90/Q7/Aviator/etc now a days even if current spread is 20k. We thought and still think it's worth it, but others can form their own view.
MTTANK
AG
Does it have the dynamic handling? Just curious if that is an option we need.
ktownag08
AG
It does have it. Test drove with and without. I recommend it. The different driving modes adjust the suspension dampening as well as raises/lowers the vehicle.
Strongwind86
AG
Since we are still talking about Lincolns and I've previously posted in this thread, I'll share with y'all my experience owning a 2019 Nautilus (Ford Edge sized model). We've owned the Nautilus 2-1/2 years now put close to 30,000 miles on it. Got the Reserve level with the 2.0L boost/8 speed transmission. It's my wife's primary vehicle. It replaced a 2010 Ford Edge with the 3.5L/6 speed transmission.

We took the Nautilus on a week long road trip from Cypress earlier this month to watch the Aggies play Ole Miss in Oxford. After the game we went and spent a few days in Ocean Springs, Mississippi before returning to Texas. Put close to 2,000 miles on it over the course of the week.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Lincoln. Smooth, quiet and easy to drive. A lot nicer than the 2010 Edge (3.5L) it replaced and the 2019 Edge Titanium's we looked at. Plenty of room for two adults and weeks' worth of road trip stuff. Surprisingly quick with the 2.0L boost think the 8 speed transmission keeps the engine powerband in the sweet spot. Much more responsive than the 3.5L in the previous Edge. No issues with passing 18 wheelers on the highway - put your foot down and it goes.

Kept track of the gas mileage over the trip. Hand calculated at each fill up (not relying on the trip computer). Mostly highway driving between 70 and 80 (ish…) MPH. Overall trip average was 26.8 MPG. I did have a 200 mile stretch in Mississippi (all highway and relatively flat) were I calculated 29.6 MPG. Drivability of the 2.0L boost/8 speed is a big upgrade over the 3.5L/6 speed in the previous Edge. My first Ford with the "BOOST" and I'm more than impressed. (I'm driving a 2016 F150 with the 5.0L)

As for service, we bought it at Joe Myers when they still had their Lincoln franchise. All it's needed in 2-1/2 years and 30,000 miles has been oil changes… I've been using Tommie Vaughn (where I bought my F150) for service on the Lincoln. No issue or complaints. Our 2019 Lincoln Nautilus has been a solid vehicle to date.
SteveA
AG
Lincoln just award most unreliable brand, if that helps
alabamaaggie12
AG
SteveA said:

Lincoln just award most unreliable brand, if that helps

Consumer Reports has to be taken with a grain of salt…the owner satisfaction ratings are good, which is a complete disconnect with the reliability ratings. I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with an unreliable vehicle, so not sure how much to trust CR.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.