4Runners

8,710 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NRH ag 10
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
03ki11erAG said:

We loved our 2016 limited. Couldn't fit 3 car seats in the back, at least not easily so we had to let it go. Great for a family of 4 or less. Or wait until they don't need car seats. Did I mention car seats.

Diono radian r100 is your friend

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PSDDRB/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B076PSDDRB&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag301-20

Have had third row 4runners since 2013 for a family of 5 and it works. Only downside is with 3 deep the third row is only accessible from the rear hatch for passengers.
Yesterday
AG
JP76 said:

03ki11erAG said:

We loved our 2016 limited. Couldn't fit 3 car seats in the back, at least not easily so we had to let it go. Great for a family of 4 or less. Or wait until they don't need car seats. Did I mention car seats.

Diono radian r100 is your friend

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PSDDRB/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B076PSDDRB&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag301-20

Have had third row 4runners since 2013 for a family of 5 and it works. Only downside is with 3 deep the third row is only accessible from the rear hatch for passengers.

We looked at a bunch of car seats and mulled over the process. We ended up with a Tahoe and captains chairs. The big kids can walk to the back while the infant had its own seat away form them. May go back in a couple of years with these seats though. Thanks for the link.
Old Tom Morris
The real answer is to take the kid you like the least and put it up for adoption. A family of 5 kind of ****s up car options, then there are the vacation/hotel complications, etc.
tk for tu juan
Look at the improvements for the 2020 4Runner. Auto lights, push button start, updated gauge cluster, and better infotainment system.

knoxtom
I think i am going to trade mine this weekend. Wanted one for a long time but it is just too underpowered for living in the mountains.
CharlieBrown17
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Look at the improvements for the 2020 4Runner. Auto lights, push button start, updated gauge cluster, and better infotainment system.

To each their own, I got a 2019 off-road instead of waiting because the 2020 had a lot of the safety assist type features that I've typically found annoying in other vehicles.

Push button doesn't really seem like a big upgrade either just sort of an ehh neat thing.

I guess CarPlay is nice? I have my phone in a mount and blue toothed to the car audio and works fine for me.

Overall the new display/CarPlay stuff is an upgrade

Auto lights/push button are meh

Annoying car babysit safety features are a dealbreaker
knoxtom
Push button start and a new radio. Yep, that fixes the real problems.

Why cant they put the tacoma transmission in and shocks that stop the front end from diving in fast stops? Im fine with the 1992 era car stereo, not so fine with a 5 speed transmission from the mid 80s.
NRH ag 10
AG
knoxtom said:

Why cant they put the tacoma transmission in and shocks that stop the front end from diving in fast stops? Im fine with the 1992 era car stereo, not so fine with a 5 speed transmission from the mid 80s.
I don't know what the 4runner's 5 spd is like, but i'd be careful asking for the Tacoma's 6spd. I bought a 2019 Tacoma Offroad and the transmission programming is really the only thing I don't like about it. The infotainment system is pretty nice, in car nav works fine, audio stuff is fine, and the safety things range from awesome (radar cruise) to sometimes annoying but useful (accident prevention).

OV tuning has an ecu reflash that is supposed to make low end torque and power much better and fix a lot of the transmission issues, but I'm not touching it after having problems getting warranty service done with 2 of my vehicles this year due to modifications.
Naveronski
AG
There is a TSB/update for the shifting available for some years/models. Did you get that done?
NRH ag 10
AG
Naveronski said:

There is a TSB/update for the shifting available for some years/models. Did you get that done?
I would assume it's been done since it was a '19 with 6 miles that wasn't even on the lot yet, but I'll check.
knoxtom
Went ahead and traded my 4runner for a LR Discovery HSE. I found a CPO former dealer loaner with the 100k b2b warranty so that takes care of the reliability fears. Had to drive over to Glenwood Springs to get it. Painless transaction, told them what I wanted and what I would pay and they said OK.

MouthBQ98
AG
Get an extended warranty.
knoxtom
It says right in the post that it is certified with a 100k b2b warranty. Thanks for the response, reading comp is your friend, try it sometime
saltydog13
AG
Are we going to get a Rule #1 pic on this new 4Runner??
Picard
AG
knoxtom said:

It says right in the post that it is certified with a 100k b2b warranty. Thanks for the response, reading comp is your friend, try it sometime
GrapevineAg
AG
The 4Runner will spend little time in the shop and last well past 100k miles with basic maintenance - 250-300k miles is pretty easy to achieve. But, if you intend to swap vehicles every 100k miles, then enjoy the new ride. And yeah, let's see some pics!
evan_aggie
AG
NRH ag 10 said:

knoxtom said:

I don't know what the 4runner's 5 spd is like, but i'd be careful asking for the Tacoma's 6spd. I bought a 2019 Tacoma Offroad and the transmission programming is really the only thing I don't like about it. The infotainment system is pretty nice, in car nav works fine, audio stuff is fine, and the safety things range from awesome (radar cruise) to sometimes annoying but useful (accident prevention).

OV tuning has an ecu reflash that is supposed to make low end torque and power much better and fix a lot of the transmission issues, but I'm not touching it after having problems getting warranty service done with 2 of my vehicles this year due to modifications.

Had my transmission program reflashed/updated based on TSB. I wouldn't rave about the Tacoma 6spd, but I also don't have great comparisons. I drove a 5spd manual Ford Trac before. My wife drives a CVT Rogue.

I enjoy flipping the ECT button and getting around town if needed, otherwise I think the default of the transmission is to be a little hesitant/cautious.
NRH ag 10
AG
"Hesitant" is a very good way to describe it. I don't mind it under 40 mph at all, but on the highway I've learned to floor it anytime you want it to move, and the gear selection while cruise control is on and you're going uphill (something you do just a LITTLE bit in CO) is pretty annoying.

Still very pleased with the truck, should be a little more useful come hunting season than the GTI I was driving previously.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.