Let's talk Corvette's...

6,249 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by '03ag
mts6175
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's say an Ag was in the market for a Z06, pull the trigger on the current and last front engine, manual transmission C7's (that's current model for you non-Corvette fans) or wait for the upcoming mid-engine C8?
EMY92
AG
Sales of the current model are very slow, you can get a great deal. That will not be the case for the mid engined model.
John Beckwith
AG
They're doing 0% for 72 months right now plus whatever you can get off the sticker price.

The dealer I went to had something like $10k off the LT1 and LT2 trims, the higher trims seemed even more discounted, so it's a great time to buy if you like this body style imo.

I looked a couple weeks ago but ended up being too tall to fit unfortunately.
TxSquarebody
I've heard rumor that a traditional front engine vette will also be offered along with the mid-engine design. If that can be confirmed, wait and drive both before deciding?
John Beckwith
AG
C7 production is seemingly confirmed to stop this June
hatchback
AG
Let's talk (about) Corvette's what?

#grammarnazi #canthelpmyself
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
EMY92 said:

Sales of the current model are very slow, you can get a great deal. That will not be the case for the mid engined model.
They're throwing in free jorts, white new balances and columbia fishing shirts with each purchase.
ac04
i'm guessing you can get a c7z06 now for what a base c8 will cost at launch. maybe less.
Cromagnum
AG
C7s are nice cars that you can get a deal on right now. C8s are a huge model change and its going to have bugs.
Duncan Idaho
Which ever will go best with your Tommy Bahama shirts.
Duncan Idaho
The C8 is going to be pretty damn sweet.
mts6175
AG
TxSquarebody said:

I've heard rumor that a traditional front engine vette will also be offered along with the mid-engine design. If that can be confirmed, wait and drive both before deciding?

Chevy has already said the last one produced will be a Z06 and auctioned off for charity in June.

https://jalopnik.com/the-last-front-engine-corvette-will-be-auctioned-for-ch-1834032450
JSKolache
AG
hatchback said:

Let's talk (about) Corvette's what?

#grammarnazi #canthelpmyself
#apostrophesdon'tmakeplurals
Gibbs Slap
AG
C8 are nice...
woodyhayes
not to derail the thread but Tricity Corvettes of S.E.Texas 25th annual corvette show for charities is Sat. May 4th in Beaumont at Holiday Inn & Suites on I 10 & Walden Rd. with a meet & greet there fri. eve. Food & beverage provided by Tricity. Everything takes place there. Free photo dash plaque with registration, over 100 trophies, valve cover racing, chance to win a new stingray, museum store will be there, and much more. Already have vettes registered from dfw, san antonio, corpus, lake charles, lafayette, baton rouge, gulfport, and others. Info and flyer on website www.tricitycorvetteclub.com
TMoney2007
AG
Gibbs Slap said:

C8 are nice...

Honestly, a mid-engine sports car with the cost of ownership of a corvette could actually be a huge winner. I hope they put an access panel in the interior to get to the front of the engine so you don't have to drop it to do practically anything.

There is 0 chance that there aren't comments about the interior, however nice it might be.
Guitarsoup
AG
Chevy is using the seats from a Cobalt and the Dash from a Cruze to save money.
TMoney2007
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Chevy is using the seats from a Cobalt and the Dash from a Cruze to save money.
It's really just a Cobalt configured to drive backwards, if you think about it.
Cromagnum
AG
Gibbs Slap said:

C8 are nice...

I like the c7 appearance better. This color works great with or without black wheels.

EMY92
AG
If I could get that in my garage, I would be tempted to trade the Raptor. Unfortunately, I would tear up the front end going down my driveway.
MGS
Gibbs Slap said:

C8 are nice...

Looks like an NSX
hatchback
AG
MGS said:

Gibbs Slap said:

C8 are nice...

Looks like an NSX

Look like an NSX had a love child with a Ferrari 360 Modena. Do not want.
AggieDruggist89
AG
In 1999 when I sold my Tahoe, I emailed GM and said I would never buy another GM car. They thanked me.

C-8 looks good enough for me to make a liar out of me. Maybe.
mts6175
AG
hatchback said:

MGS said:

Gibbs Slap said:

C8 are nice...

Looks like an NSX

Look like an NSX had a love child with a Ferrari 360 Modena. Do not want.
That's not it. That's just a drawing some fanboy put together based on spy photos. No one has fully seen it yet.
C Loves L
1agswitchin4lanes said:

EMY92 said:

They're throwing in free jorts, white new balances and columbia fishing shirts with each purchase.

I don't want a criminal with my car
hatchback
AG
Doesn't matter. It's still ugly.
permabull
AG
sts7049
AG
the c7 is a sexy car
'03ag
There's only so much that can be done on a mid engine car. They're going to have some odd proportions, and a lot of them will end up looking alike.

Time will tell, but I think this is a bad strategy for the brand. The car just isnt going to suit the eye of the traditional Corvette buyer. They want the traditional long snout look of a classic sports car, and I dont blame them. They don't really care about shaving seconds off lap times.

It made more since to me when the rumor was they'd sell a mid engined variant as the Z06.

That said, if pricing really does start in the 60s and the car is actually driveable then they've really raised the bar on $/performance ratio. Which is impressive since the Corvette was already the leader on that score.
TMoney2007
AG
'03ag said:

Time will tell, but I think this is a bad strategy for the brand. The car just isnt going to suit the eye of the traditional Corvette buyer. They want the traditional long snout look of a classic sports car, and I dont blame them. They don't really care about shaving seconds off lap times.
I think they're trying to find the next generation of corvette buyers. The sales numbers are getting a little peaky. They shoot up to 35k or so when there's a new model, and then they're trailing off to ~15k after a couple years, which is a little quicker than it had traditionally.

Maybe its part of the setup for a front wheel hybrid assist in the future...

Also, it significantly separates it from the camaro. Before the camaro was the live rear axle, not quite as much power pony car. Now, they all have IRS and you can get way more power than you need from the factory. As far as long and low with a long snout, I like what the mustang has done with the current body style. It feels like the camaro is thicker.
permabull
AG
drumboy
AG
hypeiv said:

Corvette was always the obtainable sports car that pretty much anyone could eventually afford.
I think this is why I stopped wanting one around 30 and started lusting for a 911. Not like I can actually justify the money for either with 3 girls but whatever.
'03ag
The price is expected to start in the mid-low 60s. They're saying only about $5k bump to the current starting price. It will be massive bargain still. What's the next cheapest 500hp mid engine sports car?
TMoney2007
AG
Since when has it been about being a budget supercar? Was it the best value by a long shot? Sure.

It has always been priced well out of the "budget" range.
permabull
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.