Let's talk Corvette's...

6,275 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by '03ag
permabull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
'03ag
hypeiv said:

'03ag said:

That said, if pricing really does start in the 60s and the car is actually driveable then they've really raised the bar on $/performance ratio. Which is impressive since the Corvette was already the leader on that score.

zero chance even the base model is anywhere near the 60s
That is what Car and Driver is reporting. I think zero chance is pretty extreme. The car is much more likely to start in the 60s than the 90s.
TMoney2007
AG
hypeiv said:

'03ag said:

That said, if pricing really does start in the 60s and the car is actually driveable then they've really raised the bar on $/performance ratio. Which is impressive since the Corvette was already the leader on that score.

I'll believe you more than an automotive journalist.
TMoney2007
AG
hypeiv said:

TMoney2007 said:

Since when has it been about being a budget supercar? Was it the best value by a long shot? Sure.

It has always been priced well out of the "budget" range.

Corvette's have almost always been priced right around the average household income of American's. Its not a budget car by any means, but its realistically obtainable for a majority of American workers.
And it still will be... unless we listen to you over a major automotive publication,...
permabull
AG
'03ag
Uhhhh...The Gladiator starts under $35k
EMY92
AG
It's like a Raptor. They start at $52k, but most sold have a sticker price around $70k. (Not counting dealer markups)
TMoney2007
AG
EMY92 said:

It's like a Raptor. They start at $52k, but most sold have a sticker price around $70k. (Not counting dealer markups)
And like corvettes are now... Just like every vehicle ever, practically no one is buying at the "starting at" price.
'03ag
TMoney2007 said:

EMY92 said:

And like corvettes are now... Just like every vehicle ever, practically no one is buying at the "starting at" price.
Right, but even then Corvettes come with A LOT of stuff standard. The base model will have 500hp, a 7spd dual clutch, leather and probably nav. I think you'll see a lot of them hit the dealer in the 68-73k range.

This conversation has gotten so weird.

Did anyone say that you'd be able to get a Gladiator Rubicon for $35k when a Wrangler Rubicon is already $45k+?

Did anyone say that the C8 was going to be fully optioned at $65k when a loaded C7 approaches $75k right now?
TMoney2007
AG
'03ag said:

TMoney2007 said:

EMY92 said:

Right, but even then Corvettes come with A LOT of stuff standard. The base model will have 500hp, a 7spd dual clutch, leather and probably nav. I think you'll see a lot of them hit the dealer in the 68-73k range.

This conversation has gotten so weird.

Did anyone say that you'd be able to get a Gladiator Rubicon for $35k when a Wrangler Rubicon is already $45k+?

Did anyone say that the C8 was going to be fully optioned at $65k when a loaded C7 approaches $75k right now?
Exactly, C&D is saying around $5k more than the C7. From a configuration perspective, it will be competing against:
The Cayman GTS, which starts at $81k and has about 140 less horsepower
The 911 that starts at $91k and is short about 130 horsepower

The Porsche 911 models that compete on power are way way more expensive. Lamborghini and Ferrari build in the mid-engine sports car space, but those brands don't play in the regular person supercar arena.

The interior likely won't be as nice as a Porsche, but not everyone buys based on that.
C Loves L
'03ag said:

There's only so much that can be done on a mid engine car. They're going to have some odd proportions, and a lot of them will end up looking alike.

Time will tell, but I think this is a bad strategy for the brand. The car just isnt going to suit the eye of the traditional Corvette buyer. They want the traditional long snout look of a classic sports car, and I dont blame them. They don't really care about shaving seconds off lap times.

It made more since to me when the rumor was they'd sell a mid engined variant as the Z06.

I think a different type of buyer considers this car on top of the traditional Corvette fan.

I think it's a bold, calculated, and smart move by Chevrolet
AggieDruggist89
AG
Will this make the Last C-7 a collectors model?

Sure did for the last Porsche aircooled model when 996 came out in 1999.
Duncan Idaho
AggieDruggist89 said:

Will this make the Last C-7 a collectors model?

Sure did for the last Porsche aircooled model when 996 came out in 1999.

The C8 isn't going to miss the mark as badly as the 996 did.

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Any opinion on the convertible C7? I still might buy a hell cat just because I enjoy dodge being run by nut jobs but I usually have convertibles
'03ag
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Any opinion on the convertible C7? I still might buy a hell cat just because I enjoy dodge being run by nut jobs but I usually have convertibles
C7 convertible seems like no brainer to me, but then I kinda hate the idea of a Hellcat . . .
agracer
AG
Gibbs Slap said:

C8 are nice...

From looks like a 488, back looks terrible!!!
'03ag
hypeiv said:

'03ag said:

I'm just here to eat my crow. Base model not starting in the 60s.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.