How does Buick still sell autos in 2019?

12,326 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Finding X
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marketing and Brand Perception.

The 3-4 brands for GM/Ford/Dodge always seemed a bit much but I definitely see a benefit having a different luxury brand. Ever wonder why VW couldn't sell a $60K Touraeg but the Q7 sell all day?
The Lost
1agswitchin4lanes said:

And typically are open to anything other than the Timberlands they walked in off the street on. So they end up often times with something like a Regal, Impala, Charger, 200, Avenger, G6, Trax, Encore, Journey, Captiva, etc.
How else could you be a balla or shot calla if you dont have 20" blades on your impala?
AG
Agmechanic said:

I just cant believe in this day of leaning out corporations why the different brands even exist.

Everthing should be Chevrolet

I believe it should all be Buick and Chevy was originally an afterthought econo brand

Buick at least seems comparable to the nissans and toyotas on the rental car lot, while chevy seems like kia hyundai junk
OldArmy71
AG
I was born in 1949.

My parents had a 1952 LeSabre, which I vaguely remember.

Then they bought a 1956 LeSabre, which I remember quite well.

Then a 1961 LeSabre.

Then a 1965 LeSabre. My sister and I got to drive the '61.

When I was a senior at A&M, they bought something else, though I don't remember what. I got the '65.

At some point in the '70s, they switched to Cadillacs, which they drove from then on.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Buicks here sell because the over 50ish crowd buys them. Buick has tried to market to young professionals, and show millenials driving around in a Buick Encore (again, based off the Opel Mokka, which is built in Korea, China and russia) which is Gamma II based so, Chevy Spark/Aveo/Sonic, and maybe they get some business there, but if its not older folks getting them, its rental fleets, and once they come off, they go to places like TDA, Carmax, Vroom, Carvana etc. Where most of the people that shop there have $43.88 to their name and "need a SUV" or "need a big car" and "need to keep their payment around 300/mo". And typically are open to anything other than the Timberlands they walked in off the street on. So they end up often times with something like a Regal, Impala, Charger, 200, Avenger, G6, Trax, Encore, Journey, Captiva, etc.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Because God made Buick and the devil made imports.

Cassius
When I think Buick, I think old people.
tk for tu juan
AggieChemist said:

Nobody is getting nostalgic over an '85 Buick Regal.

Wrong. My first car was a '85 Buick Regal with rallye wheels and console shifter. Many great memories of driving around late at night blaring Soundgarden, Helmet, and Primus after dropping off friends that had curfews. Probably drove every road in the DFW midcities and Irving/Las Colinas
Fairview
AG
IDAGG said:

People want premium stuff but for ego reasons they need others to know they bought premium stuff.

Whenever stuff like this is posted it annoys the hell out of me. In some cases sure, it's the 30k millionaires that are leasing for status symbols but I can tell you I buy nice cars because I like them and what other people think is not even a consideration. Right now I have three cars for myself and my wife has her car. Do I need three cars? Nope. Is it excessive? Maybe, but I DGAF. I buy them because I like cars which is why I'm on the auto board. Financially it's not a big deal for me and I'm fully aware there are better investments for my money but I also quantify enjoyment as a factor. The posts where people make judgements about people that don't buy 3 year old Odyssey's or drive a car for 12 -15 years get old.

fightingfarmer09
I'm curious how much influence the UAW and other unions have on keeping plants/brands going despite losing money.
Dr. Nefario
robertf03 said:

Buick at least seems comparable to the nissans and toyotas on the rental car lot, while chevy seems like kia hyundai junk

Hyundai/Kia has made better vehicles than GM for at least a decade.
Duncan Idaho
Dr. Nefario said:

robertf03 said:

Hyundai/Kia has made better vehicles than GM for at least a decade.

True but there is a big step between the Hyundai/Kai's that your friends and family have and the ones in the rental fleets.
AG
Canyon99 said:

Look at this hideous POS. Great styling, Buick.

As ugly as the Buick Encore is they sell a bunch of them. I think they sold more Encores last year than all of their car models combined.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
1939 said:

Canyon99 said:

As ugly as the Buick Encore is they sell a bunch of them. I think they sold more Encores last year than all of their car models combined.

See my post above.
drumboy
AG
IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

I just cant believe in this day of leaning out corporations why the different brands even exist.

Everthing should be Chevrolet.

Everything should be Ford.

Same goes for all the other "premium" brands that are just rebadged corrolas, accords, and altimas. Seems like just a giant waste of corporate money to keep all of them going. Esp for GM.
To quote Steve Martin "It's a profit deal!" Take a Tahoe, add some premium soundproofing, better leather seats etc and sell it as an Escalade for $95K instead of $55K while only adding a few thousand dollars to your unit cost. People want premium stuff but for ego reasons they need others to know they bought premium stuff. This is the reason why they won't pull the plug on Cadillac and try to sell gussied up Chevrolet Tahoes for $95K...nobody who is anybody wants to pay $95K for what will be viewed as a mere Chevrolet.

Same with every other premium "twin" brand, Lincoln, Acura, Lexus, etc
I hear you and I agree, but the big 3 seem to jack the shlt out of their truck prices w/ the Limited/Platinum lines.
Burdizzo
AG
drumboy said:

IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

Same goes for all the other "premium" brands that are just rebadged corrolas, accords, and altimas. Seems like just a giant waste of corporate money to keep all of them going. Esp for GM.
To quote Steve Martin "It's a profit deal!" Take a Tahoe, add some premium soundproofing, better leather seats etc and sell it as an Escalade for $95K instead of $55K while only adding a few thousand dollars to your unit cost. People want premium stuff but for ego reasons they need others to know they bought premium stuff. This is the reason why they won't pull the plug on Cadillac and try to sell gussied up Chevrolet Tahoes for $95K...nobody who is anybody wants to pay $95K for what will be viewed as a mere Chevrolet.

I hear you and I agree, but the big 3 seem to jack the shlt out of their truck prices w/ the Limited/Platinum lines.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to maximize profit on these cockwagons?
AgCMT
AG
I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would chime in. Traveling weekly to sell software in the SEC country, I rent vehicles through National regularly. Once I get to my location I typically drive 1500 miles for the week. That being said, I look for the Buick LaCrosse every single time. It is the smoothest ride of their fleet.

I have driven just about every car in their fleet over the past 10 years. Obviously I'll take the Audi A8 when they give me a free upgrade, but if I am driving 1500 miles over a week and you give me the choice between the BMW 3 or 4 series and the LaCrosse - I'm taking the LaCrosse.

drumboy
AG
Burdizzo said:

drumboy said:

IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

They can and should be able to. Imagine the mark up if they slapped a premium badge on it...
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
aggolfer
AG
what about a buick oldsmobile?
ccolley68
AG
drumboy said:

Burdizzo said:

drumboy said:

IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

If I just cant believe in this day of leaning out corporations why the different brands even exist.

They can and should be able to. Imagine the mark up if they slapped a premium badge on it...

I think the trucks may be the one immune from the true premium badge world. Most of the luxury cars are just fancified versions of the respective manufacturers regular lineup, but Cadillac and Lincoln both tried the luxury line badged truck and failed at it. Just stick with regular badge and outfit them however you see fit. If you want a Platinum truck, go for it. If you want a work truck interior, have at it. Don't know why anyone cares so much about the interior preferences of someone else's vehicle. If the luxxed out trucks didn't have a market and make money, then they'd stop doing it.
Burdizzo
AG
ccolley68 said:

drumboy said:

Burdizzo said:

drumboy said:

IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

If I just cant believe in this day of leaning out corporations why the different brands even exist.

I think the trucks may be the one immune from the true premium badge world. Most of the luxury cars are just fancified versions of the respective manufacturers regular lineup, but Cadillac and Lincoln both tried the luxury line badged truck and failed at it. Just stick with regular badge and outfit them however you see fit. If you want a Platinum truck, go for it. If you want a work truck interior, have at it. Don't know why anyone cares so much about the interior preferences of someone else's vehicle. If the luxxed out trucks didn't have a market and make money, then they'd stop doing it.

Superiority complex.

91AggieLawyer
AG
aggolfer said:

Two different divisions with the latter one being dead. The dead one was better in my view. Well, better back in the day.
'03ag
aggolfer said:

don't worry man, you caught at least one with this.
Finding X
I bought a Buick LaCrosse a few years ago and it's been a great car. I'd do it again!
Smooth - quiet - decent power - fair price... but I guess if you need to have something to complain about - anything will do.
jeffag02
Grandmother had a 72 LeSabre with a 455. Stomp on the gas pedal at 60 and watch 4400 pounds of American steel effortlessly reach the top of the 120 mph speedometer.

Also had a relative that had an 87 GNX. 0-60 in 5 seconds in a BUICK!!! Car got totaled in a wreck in the early 90s.
Drewmeister
AG
Canyon99 said:

It looks like almost every other small SUV out there. Super bland and boring, but hideous? It's a damn sight better than, say, the Nissan Juke...

You could slap a Nissan, Hyundai, or Ford logo on there and most people wouldn't notice. I have no desire to own a Buick, but some of y'all are acting like it's the next Aztek...

Edit: I didn't notice the hood "portholes" in this picture at first... they were clearer in the later ones. Yeah, those need to go, for sure.

On the other hand, I have to agree with drumboy, the Regal TourX wagon does looks pretty good. I bet they're expecting Audi prices for it, though...
88Warrior
Fairview said:

IDAGG said:

People want premium stuff but for ego reasons they need others to know they bought premium stuff.

Whenever stuff like this is posted it annoys the hell out of me. In some cases sure, it's the 30k millionaires that are leasing for status symbols but I can tell you I buy nice cars because I like them and what other people think is not even a consideration. Right now I have three cars for myself and my wife has her car. Do I need three cars? Nope. Is it excessive? Maybe, but I DGAF. I buy them because I like cars which is why I'm on the auto board. Financially it's not a big deal for me and I'm fully aware there are better investments for my money but I also quantify enjoyment as a factor. The posts where people make judgements about people that don't buy 3 year old Odyssey's or drive a car for 12 -15 years get old.

Preach it brother!
EMY92
AG
ccolley68 said:

drumboy said:

Burdizzo said:

drumboy said:

IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

Lincoln killed any chances of success with the ugly bed of the Blackwood.

AG
EMY92 said:

ccolley68 said:

drumboy said:

Burdizzo said:

drumboy said:

IDAGG said:

Agmechanic said:

Lincoln killed any chances of success with the ugly bed of the Blackwood.

Lincoln followed that up with the Mark LT and it didn't sell. All it was was an F150 with a little more chrome and Lincoln emblem up front.
Burdizzo
AG
If they had put a Cadillac badge on it, it probably would have been a big hit in some segments of the economy.
Corps_Ag12
AG
My friend's dad won't get a new car because GM stopped making the EXT (Avalanche). He has the most recent body style and refuses to get anything else.
AG
Cant believe theres been no mention of this

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-buick-gnx-2/

AgCMT
AG
robertf03 said:

Cant believe theres been no mention of this

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-buick-gnx-2/

Damn! 200k
TitanAGGIE09
AG
This is devastating news to an estimated 4 people in the market...

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/buick-is-killing-its-convertible-cascada-this-year
IDAGG
AG
Fairview said:

IDAGG said:

Well first of all, I have owned several BMWs, an Audi, Lexus, Acura etc. So I suppose you can throw me in that group I just made fun of. Part of it is I like nice cars. And part of it, as I pointed out, is that most car manufacturers make a distinction in what options/features you can buy in their mainstream vs their luxury brands.

As an example, I owned an Audi A6 at one point. I loved the Quattro. Later, I wanted a reliable (meaning non Audi) AWD sedan. BTW, did VW offer an AWD sedan several years ago? No. They now have an AWD wagon but to my knowledge they still don't offer an AWD sedan. So wanting something with less maintenance I looked at Hondas. Did Honda offer an AWD sedan? No. Well, sorta, they offered the hideous Aztek inspired Crosstour. So I had to buy an Acura TL with SH/AWD to get AWD in a Honda sedan. Could they offer a Honda Accord model with AWD and better soundproofing and interior (and not make it look like an Aztek)? Sure they could. But they don't. They gussie up an Accord, give it the excellent SH/AWD drivetrain and a slightly bigger V6, put the Acura label on it and add $20K to the list price. Like I say it is a profit deal. It's how they differentiate their brands and maximize their profits. It's a good business strategy.

So yes, to your point it isn't all about showing off, some of it is buying something nice vs something really nice that has better features etc.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.