Looking for fun coupe

3,585 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JamesPShelley
permabull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ac04
how much do E36 M3s go for these days?
SteveA
AG
See above post...
10andBOUNCE
AG
Early 90s Nissan 300ZX with t-tops. Saw one on auto trader for $6k with under 100k miles and clean carfax.
Duncan Idaho
For fun cars, I subscribe to the old adage that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

You could get a decent roadster (triumph, mg, Miata) in that range. Bonus is they are simple enough to work on.
zooguy96
Looked at other options. Came back to the G35 and made the deal. Pick it up tomorrow.
Aggietaco
AG
Congrats. Don't forget the Rule 1 thread.
zooguy96
Aggietaco said:

Congrats. Don't forget the Rule 1 thread.

Once I pick it up tomorrow, rule 1 will be en vogue.
zooguy96

aggieforester05
AG
Great choice. They're not the most reliable cars, but most cars that age are going to take some work. My mother had a 2005 G35 automatic. While I didn't like the slush box, the car was a lot of fun to drive. The handling was better than my Mustang GT/CS and the motor makes good power all over the rev range for a V6. Also, the Nissan V6 sounds good to me and I generally dislike the sound of most V6s. Basically a 2+2 350Z.

From what I recall (several years back) the issues with her car were timing chain related and front end suspension components, so keep an eye out for those. Hopefully your car has had those replaced already. Hard to complain for how cheap they are though.
zooguy96
Supposedly a mechanic owned the car before me. Looks like all the rubber components have been replaced.

My mechanic checked it out and found no issues except that it needs tires. Said it was in pristine condition. Should be a fun car to drive for a coupe of years.
zooguy96
Any tire recommendations? I always shop at Discount Tires. It currently has Pirellis on it.
Aggietaco
AG
Double your money in it by slapping a supercharger on it, melt current tires, and then buy some new Michelins.
drumboy
AG
Aggietaco said:

Double your money in it by slapping a supercharger on it, melt current tires, and then buy some new Michelins.
or an LS swap!

Dude I know had one and he was trying to sell it for $40K a few years ago. I'm sure that he didn't get anywhere close to that but I bet it was fun.
The Fife
HumbleAg04 said:

Late 80s 944 Turbo.
These days I'd be surprised if you could find a runner for that much. The N/A I owned is still the car I miss the most.
JamesPShelley
SteveA said:

Quote:

Quote:

AggieDruggist89 said:
Boxster
This is a great idea.

Also 350Z or RX8 (manual only)
It's not a good idea to spend all your money on a 20 year old german or rx8, unless you know how to work on them.
I own a Boxster... 20 years old. They are relatively easy to work on (I do my own maintenance and repairs - hobby). The Boxsters and Caymans have price-bottomed-out... and there are deals out there. I'd recommend a 98 or 99 model for the money you want to spend. If you've never driven one you should test drive one. You'll wonder why you didn't sooner look at them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.