Jeep "Scrambler"

3,435 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by longeryak
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, crap! Got the pic posted correctly the first time and jacked up the thread title! Oh, well!

Will it turn out this good? I'm thinking even the stock Rubicon tires will need to be beefed up to make it look right.

Mookie
AG
Looks like the hummer h3 truck they tried for a year or so.
dodger02
AG
That definitely is a niche vehicle.
chimpanzee
Is that ride height and tire size consistent with the stock JL Rubicons?

Practically speaking, I totally agree that it is a niche vehicle, but my irrational side wants one all the same.
Naveronski
AG
Let's see how it performs versus the Tacoma and ZR2.

If it keeps the solid front axle, it should do well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I like how the letters on the photoshopped tires are backwards.
Fairview
AG
I actually saw one of these in person last week. It was all covered up like in the spy pics you see online but there was no doubt what it was. Like already said I think it will be a niche vehicle. I only saw it very briefly but all covered up it had a Sport Trac feel to it. Personally I think it would be cool with a two door option and longer bed.
agdoc2001
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Prune Tracy
If they are anything like what I'm thinking, that'd be the only reason I'd trade out of a standard 4-door. I love my '16 JKU, but love the idea of a small bed. I usually load my cargo area up with stuff like gas cans, motor oil, firewood, etc and always risk douching it out. The only issue would be having somewhere to throw the freedom panels without having to bag and stand them behind the 2nd row seats (possibly???) every time.

Also hoping the back window comes out or rolls down for true open air driving.
tlepoC
AG
Just... Don't be upset when your frame disintegrates after purchasing a 50k individual.
CATAGBQ04
AG
I dig it...wish all the lift stuff I've thrown at my JK would transfer over
Tree Hugger
AG
I'm anxiously awaiting the official reveal, hopefully next month. I've had the Jeep bug for a while now, but really like having a truck. That being said, I'm sure the price tag will be more than I am willing to pay, rumors are that it will be priced similar to a Raptor, but at least that way I can be done with it and get the itch out of my system.
HumbleAg04
AG
Will buy. Don't tell my wife.
aggieforester05
AG
Seems like the perfect time to finally put the 5.7L in there. I like Jeeps but there's no way is buy that size vehicle with a naturally aspirated V6.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Since the bed will probably be pretty short, it'd be neat if the moved the spare tire to the tailgate and made the spare tire space under bed storage (like the Ridgeline, or their trucks/vans with the in-floor cab storage). No one would thing twice about the tire being on the tailgate because its a wrangler (variant), so it's normal.
Street Fighter
AG
It won't priced like nor be competing with the Raptor. I do think FCA will be bending people over on this to try and control early demand, but not Raptor money. If they believe they charge Raptor money for it, they're going to lose their ass.
aggieforester05
AG
Are they really that far off of Raptor money as it is? Maybe out the door, but Raptors aren't stickered that much higher than a regular F-150. They're all insanely expensive.
12th Man Ag
AG
Street Fighter said:

It won't priced like nor be competing with the Raptor. I do think FCA will be bending people over on this to try and control early demand, but not Raptor money. If they believe they charge Raptor money for it, they're going to lose their ass.
Well, a fully loaded 4-Door Rubicon is $55K+. I am sure the Rubicon Scrambler will be priced comparably. A well equipped Raptor is $70K. They are pushing it asking $55K for a Jeep. No way they cross the $60K threshold.
aggieforester05
AG
Seems like they're both about $20K overpriced.
12th Man Ag
AG
Yup. About the same with every car right now!
Street Fighter
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Street Fighter said:

Well, a fully loaded 4-Door Rubicon is $55K+. I am sure the Rubicon Scrambler will be priced comparably. A well equipped Raptor is $70K. They are pushing it asking $55K for a Jeep. No way they cross the $60K threshold.
Don't forget the dealer mark up on Raptors. If FCA dealerships pull that crap they will lose in the long run, especially if the truck is built with the same outstanding quality and attention to detail as it's JL brothers.
Tree Hugger
AG
It's this quote that has me worried about the price:

Quote:

mericans love pickup trucks, and Americans love Jeeps. Sergio Marchionne knew this, so building a Wrangler pickup is a complete and total no-brainer. It'll also be wildly different from every other pickup currently on sale, which should help it further.

Marchionne said at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show that FCA expects to sell 100,000 examples of the pickup per year, and they'll be "expensive - intentionally so."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29009/2017-jeep-wrangler-pickup-info/
Street Fighter
AG
Quote:

"expensive - intentionally so."
If they price this thing pushing the 70K range or AEV Brute money, they shouldn't be selling 100,000 of them a year, but stupid people sure do multiply fast.
12th Man Ag
AG
If it is substantially more than a comparably equipped JL, I am out. I have been waiting for this for a long time, but a $55K sticker is tough to swallow.

Interested to see if the Bronco makes it to production with a removable top.
Presley OBannons Sword
12th Man Ag said:

Yup. About the same with every car right now!

Is it overpriced if people are willing to spend that much? In my opinion the problem is the ridiculous mortgage length auto loans that are available. That's how you end up with morons like my cousin Jason who probably makes half of what I make driving a late model 3/4 ton diesel and I drive a twenty year old truck. He only cares about making it to the next payment while I only care about total price.
aggieforester05
AG
That is a big part of the problem. IMO depreciation follows pretty much a five year amortization schedule. If you go any longer than that on a new car you're likely to end up upside down. At five years it's likely break even when you trade it in. Used cars are a little trickier, I wouldn't suggest more than four years on a lightly used very late model car, but the initial deprecation that those have already incurred sweetens the pot a little bit. Personally if there's no difference in interest rates, I'll sign up for a longer term and then schedule my payments based on a shorter term. That way if I get in a bind in the future I can back off payment amounts if need be. The answer to your question, from a value perspective, yes they are overpriced; however, if people are willing to pay it, then I don't blame the companies for charging it. I wish people wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices and keep auto loans five years or less. That way prices would have to adjust to keep up demand. I priced out a loaded F150 lariat diesel F150 the other night and it came out to $67K. It's a nice truck but not worth $67K.
longeryak
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.