Adventures with a 15 y/o high-maintenance swedish wagon

30,126 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tim Weaver
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beautiful, and wayyy cleaner than mine.

$14,500 is my baseless guess
Dill-Ag13
AG
$18,250 is insane
Dill-Ag13
AG
Sad update unfortunately.

Had an oil leak at the turbo last fall followed by a leaking thermostat, had a bunch of other parts on hand so had the shop replace everything (tensioner, belt, throttle body, MAP sensor, thermostat, turbo drain gasket)... $1,500 for the labor only. Brings the total to about $4,000 for last year between the clutch, transfer case reseal and the small repair.

Fast forward to last Friday and my low oil light pops on while I'm driving, I check the level and top it up and go on my way. I get home to find that it's leaking oil. Bring it to my local guy who tells me it's gear oil... weird. Have it towed to the manual transmission shop, the guy says he can't find the leak. Have it towed to an independent Volvo mechanic that says they cannot find the leak either. Thanks AAA for the free tows.

The car has been down for a week and I don't have any real resolution. I will be selling the car some time in the next couple of weeks. She'll be missed, has been a fun car the past 4 years but a not so great daily the last 18 months of that! She'll turn 19 this fall...
mefoghorn
AG
I've been thinking about buying an XC60 from the timeframe of 2010-2011, but this video has pretty much convinced me not to.

Dill-Ag13
AG
The engines of that era guzzle oil.
I definitely want another manual.

I've test driven the following:

2019 Elantra GT N Line 6-speed - meh acceleration, meh steering, meh clutch feel, basic interior even "loaded"

2020 Corolla Hatch auto - teeny back seats, teeny trunk, meh overall but it's a Toyota, idk how the manual is but the car is too small

2013 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG - so torquey, large, not too big a fan of the looks, a 10 year old VW diesel isn't exactly a reliable replacement for a Volvo!

2017 Alltrack DSG - large car for the 1.8T, feels like an Outback, big marshmallow, not a fan

2018 Mazda 3 - have driven a manual and an auto with a 2.5, fun car, small but the 2.5L makes it super fun

Currently dailying a friends deleted and Malone tuned 2014 sportwagen TDI with a 6-speed, definitely a fun ride but I'm not totally in love with the diesels.

I think I will end up with a Mazda3. No turbo, FWD, manual transmission makes it super simple.
Flaith
AG
You might check out the Audi A4 allroad too

OR....

Get a Jag XF Sportbrake and start a new ownership thread

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/jaguar-xf-sportbrake-2018-SAJBM2FV2JCY65422?brand=vroom&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=17&utm_medium=cpc&utm_keyword=-Exact&utm_subsource=NB_BUY_MKMDL_VLAXXXXXXXXXX_EVG_CPAX_XXX_COUSA_XX_EN_X_VROM_GO_SE_VLA_XXXXXXXXXX&gclid=CjwKCAiA4KaRBhBdEiwAZi1zzn6jMlxamHgSHD4UAW88ZJ1_zZqgGIsloXhYRuWAVfDtlxmDEI6QxhoCmMsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Dill-Ag13
AG
The sportbrake is beautiful but I need to detox for a few years.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Sad update unfortunately.

Had an oil leak at the turbo last fall followed by a leaking thermostat, had a bunch of other parts on hand so had the shop replace everything (tensioner, belt, throttle body, MAP sensor, thermostat, turbo drain gasket)... $1,500 for the labor only. Brings the total to about $4,000 for last year between the clutch, transfer case reseal and the small repair.

Fast forward to last Friday and my low oil light pops on while I'm driving, I check the level and top it up and go on my way. I get home to find that it's leaking oil. Bring it to my local guy who tells me it's gear oil... weird. Have it towed to the manual transmission shop, the guy says he can't find the leak. Have it towed to an independent Volvo mechanic that says they cannot find the leak either. Thanks AAA for the free tows.

The car has been down for a week and I don't have any real resolution. I will be selling the car some time in the next couple of weeks. She'll be missed, has been a fun car the past 4 years but a not so great daily the last 18 months of that! She'll turn 19 this fall...

This is bull***** I hate this. Tempting to give you $1000 for the DadWag, let it sit in my driveway until you come to your senses. One day you will wake up and while you are driving to work in your perfectly functioning sterile car, that without the DadWag, you are a hollow shell of yourself. Empty, sad, impotent and adrift at sea. Like Samson with a buzzcut. You will message me, offering whatever price I name. Being an honorable man, I will only mark it up 400 percent.

But, the wife would kill me if I put an old ass import in the driveway, leaking God knows what from where. So, maybe hang onto the DadWag and buy another for actual driving stuff. If not for you, then do it for us!
Dill-Ag13
AG
Really wish I could keep it, Ive been agonizing over this decision for the past couple months and my mind is made up at this point. Financially can't swing it and with car prices the way they are I need the cash to put into something newer.Checking values I could probably get $10-13k for it. I paid $9,500 in '18.
Flaith
AG
Quote:

One day you will wake up and while you are driving to work in your perfectly functioning sterile car, that without the DadWag, you are a hollow shell of yourself. Empty, sad, impotent and adrift at sea. Like Samson with a buzzcut. You will message me, offering whatever price I name. Being an honorable man, I will only mark it up 400 percent.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'm not following. You got a low motor oil light, it needed some motor oil, you added it and drove home. You come out the next day and there's oil on the driveway (and somehow there isn't usually?), turns out it's gear oil but nobody can tell you where it's coming from? There's only a few places on that car where gear oil can be found. Is it only leaking when hot? Totally driveable, right? Why not drive it around for a while tomorrow then pull it up on ramps in the driveway, scoot under there and figure it out? If you can't figure it out give everything under there a good wipedown and do it again. You've done a ton to this car, this does not seem like a worthy final straw.

Otherwise i will offer $1,001 to counter MBL
Dill-Ag13
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

I'm not following. You got a low motor oil light, it needed some motor oil, you added it and drove home. You come out the next day and there's oil on the driveway (and somehow there isn't usually?), turns out it's gear oil but nobody can tell you where it's coming from? There's only a few places on that car where gear oil can be found. Is it only leaking when hot? Totally driveable, right? Why not drive it around for a while tomorrow then pull it up on ramps in the driveway, scoot under there and figure it out? If you can't figure it out give everything under there a good wipedown and do it again. You've done a ton to this car, this does not seem like a worthy final straw.

Otherwise i will offer $1,001 to counter MBL
I am fairly certain it is gear oil based on the spot where it was. I replaced all the seals in the MT when I had the clutch put in last Feb so the only other potential source is it is leaking at the case halves.

On top of that there are a couple other things that will need attention this year (full PCV, new tires, new front brakes/rotors, plugs/coils)

It's more the straw that broke the camels back than an insurmountable hill. Couple that with a much longer daily commute and having two little kids and my heart just isn't in the car anymore!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Or maybe it's a cracked trans! (Just trying to make you feel better) Sucks dude but i get it
Dill-Ag13
AG
Got her fixed and on the market. Sold her for $15k in about 6 hours. I paid $9,500 4 years and 40k miles ago. I'll call that a win.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/057DDvhbJm0_8HeRn8ACGakfA#Home
Jack Cheese
AG
RIP in peace Swedish sport wagon. This board died a little today.
Dill-Ag13
AG
And I died a lot inside
Tim Weaver
Dill-Ag13 said:

And I died a lot inside
dubi
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

And I died a lot inside

Guitarsoup
AG
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3Ra6G7dR/2004-volvo-v70r

Did you see this sell yesterday?
Dill-Ag13
AG
No, but I know this guy overpaid so I ran with it
scd88
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

And I died a lot inside

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I've enjoyed the blog. Well done.
Dill-Ag13
AG
She's gone, a lot of emotions!

Kids said goodbye

Last fuel up

The buyer and me

Me driving off in my Uber
'03ag
Dill-Ag13 said:

And I died a lot inside
can I interest you in a 2005 Audi allroad?
Dill-Ag13
AG
A friend has a built stage 3 2.7T allroad (License plate is ALLROAD).... we talked each other back off of a cliff regularly. No thanks!
'03ag

it's a manual!
Dill-Ag13
AG
I'll 100% get back into a manual wagon. It'll either be new with a warranty or very old and simple (ie volvo 245)
Tim Weaver
Dill-Ag13 said:

I'll 100% get back into a manual wagon. It'll either be new with a warranty or very old and simple (ie volvo 245)
My 88 244 has been nearly trouble free for about a year and a half now. I paid 3300 for it at an estate auction. Had to replace the rusted out exhaust and a bunch of old suspension bushing. Basically thats it. Just waiting for it to tell me what else is wrong, but so far that's been nothing.

It has NO power, but it is still fun to drive. Mine is a DL. Poverty-spec. Not even a sunroof, which means EVERYTHING still works! lol. Except the AC. I need to get that fixed before summer comes I guess.....
Jack Cheese
AG
My brother and I saw this cool old Volvo in a parking lot where he lives near Atlanta. Reminded me of this thread.

Dill-Ag13
AG
1800ES? Those are funky. The C30 rear window was a throwback to those IIRC
Duncan Idaho
Jack Cheese said:

My brother and I saw this cool old Volvo in a parking lot where he lives near Atlanta. Reminded me of this thread.

Had no idea theses existed. Absolutely love it.

An ex girlfriend's father had a P1800 but this is way cooler
Tim Weaver
The Saint drove the sedan version. It was such a beautiful car. The wagon version is even better looking in my opinion.

Tim Weaver
BTW.... Turbo Wagon in le manuelle

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-volvo-245-glt-4/?fbclid=IwAR3BS5NwUcW_q8nroQaznQ7chv-A4m5TVaOTCIAvGzW3R5HToR3J9Qg_Lj8
Dill-Ag13
AG
Bro it's beautiful
Tim Weaver
Dill-Ag13 said:

Bro it's beaut
Other than the miles bringing the value down a bit, this has the potential to be the highest priced 240 ever on BaT. Turbo, intercooled, manual wagon is absolute unicorn spec. And it looks to be in great shape. Crack free dash included!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.