Why Do Vehicles Lose Alignment?

2,962 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
TxAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I took my 2017 Land Cruiser to the Toyota dealer last week for an oil change and tire rotation. The vehicle has 14,600 miles on it. It drove and tracked perfect before I dropped it off. After the oil change and tire rotation, it pulled hard to the right. The pull was worse while accelerating. I dropped it off at the Toyota dealer this morning and they called and said it needed an alignment. Over the phone the guy said the right side was off .35 degrees and the left was off 15 (yes, FIFTEEN) degrees.

First of all, I don't think anything was off 15 degrees as I think that would be visibly obvious. Second, I do believe something was off far enough to cause the vehicle to pull right, but how would that happen with a tire rotation? Tires are BFG A/T with about 10,000 miles on them. This was the first time they've been rotated. I've had tires rotated many times in almost 20 years of driving and never had an alignment issue immediately after rotating.
EMY92
AG
Ag for Life
AG
I would guess your wife has driven this vehicle at least once, right?
TxAg20
AG
Ag for Life said:

I would guess your wife has driven this vehicle at least once, right?
Very rarely, and not at all between the tire rotation and today.

Is there any way they could accidentally knock the vehicle out of alignment with a tire rotation? The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to think they adjusted it out of alignment on purpose to get me back in for a $130 alignment.

When the service guy called he said "it's been a long time since it's had an alignment". It's not quite a year old. I can't imagine it was due for an alignment.
aggiepaintrain
AG
It came from factory out of alignment most likely.

I always have mine done before I take delivery on a new car.
CDUB98
AG
I think you got dealer screwed.
Prune Tracy
He said it was tracking perfectly before going to the dealership, then was noticeably bad immediately after.

I'd raise hell with the service manager, especially on a vehicle of that value. *Something* happened at the dealership to knock it out of alignment, or they're being flat out dishonest, as you're suspecting. I've NEVER had a tire rotation cause any sort of alignment issues.
akaggie05
AG
I've seen the way the dealership porters move cars around. Nearly got in a head-on collision with my own car a while back... had dropped it off for some recall work and was leaving the lot a rental when my own car comes careering around the end of the row directly at me and I had to swerve out of the way.

Someone at the dealership probably ran it hard over a curb when moving from shop to storage or back and is now trying to deny responsibility.
KY AG
AG
Occam's razor says it was the dealership.
CDUB98
AG
Gangster, I hope you brought hell upon them. I know I would have.
Jack Cheese
AG
TxAg20 said:

When the service guy called he said "it's been a long time since it's had an alignment". It's not quite a year old. I can't imagine it was due for an alignment.

Asinine.
SCHTICK00
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

He said it was tracking perfectly before going to the dealership, then was noticeably bad immediately after.

I'd raise hell with the service manager, especially on a vehicle of that value. *Something* happened at the dealership to knock it out of alignment, or they're being flat out dishonest, as you're suspecting. I've NEVER had a tire rotation cause any sort of alignment issues.

Nothing involved in rotating tires comes close to normal driving forces. I'd look at threads and bolts/nuts to see if they've recently ben adjusted or had wrenches on them. Service dept not being honest.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Most manufacturers will align for free within 1yr/12000 miles.
vansprinkle
AG
Either have them do it for free, or don't have them do it at all. I'd rather spend the money on a lifetime from Firestone than give that dealer a dimension to fix something that sounds like it was caused by them.
drmwvr
AG
I'd be suspicious.

FWIW- As an owner of four Land Cruisers so far, 80 (sold), 100 and two 200's (ones an LX), my experience is that it would take a lot to knock one out of alignment given their over-built design. I'm sure it can happen but I would think it would be a situation where you would know something happened (huge pothole hit, driving over a curb at speed, runing over an object, etc.).

My '99 100 with 215k miles has had one alignment that I remember (purchased with 36k miles) and that was when I installed an OME suspension. I beat the heck out of it still at the ranch. I have BFG KOs in this one and never had an issue when I rotated the tires.

My '10 200 with 105k miles has had one alignment as well but that was after I hit a deer going 75 MPH and it was more precautionary due to the severity of the strike. This does not get used as hard at my 100 but still gets lots of long distance drives plus trailer towing and daily commute in the city. Also, the tires on it now have 55k miles with even wear so that supports my feelings. On a side note, what size KO2s did you install on your '17? Did you stick with the stock size of 285/60r18? How do you like them?

On the 80 I was too young to care and the LX is too new (and pampered) to need anything yet.

longeryak
Some lot jockey took it booney bouncing.

I take pix of the odometer at drop-off just in case there are unreasonable miles put on it while being serviced.
Texmid
AG
My F250 has a feature on the Navigation system that drops cookies on the map showing where it has been. It is always interesting to see where it went while "in" the shop.
Mr. Dubi
15 degrees? Ummm.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

Over the phone the guy said the right side was off .35 degrees and the left was off 15 (yes, FIFTEEN) degrees.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.