****** fluid flush

1,768 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2 questions:

1. 2014 f150 boost. 53k Miles. Getting the ****** (transmission) maintenance done at a Midas I have used for repairs and maintenance for a couple years now. The dude tells me 55k is when you should do it. Is this true?

2. I recently purchased this truck (from my own lease). I have the POC warranty through ford. I'm almost certain something like this is not covered by my warranty since it's just maintenanc and not a repair. I paid $149 for it the service. Tell me I didn't just make a mistake.
FirstOnRaceDayAg
AG
Don't flush the transmission. Drain, change filter and refill.
NWE
AG
Thanks. I guess I don't know the difference.
CanyonAg77
AG
Pressure flushing can dislodge debris and lodge it in place you don't want it lodged.

All you want them to do is drain the fluid, change the filter, and replace fluid.

If they tell you that a simple drain won't replace all the fluid, they are correct. If that matters to you, drain it again a few days later. A double drain and fill will replace the vast majority of the old fluid.
NWE
AG
I'll ask when the guy comes back to the office but typically do they flush at 55k miles? Or is it likely a drain and replace? I didn't know the terminology.
CanyonAg77
AG
They make more on the flush, and it's the latest fad, so they probably flush.

Frankly I'd call and stop them.
NWE
AG
I'm here in the office. I said "the transmission service, is that a flush?"

He said "no no. You don't need to flush. It's just a drain and fill. And we replace the filter"

Getting the tires rotated and an oil change too. She's getting some TLC.
Flaith
AG
is ATF change part of the suggested maintenance?
chimpanzee
Flaith said:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-F-150-P415-Owner's-Manual-First-Print_om_en-us_09_2013.pdf

p. 443

Every 150k miles.

Midas is giving you the bull**** treatment.
Waltonloads08
AG
Welp misread above post
CanyonAg77
AG
You're ruining your own argument. I'd say that new transmissions are less likely than old ones to have debris and "sludge" in them. If I have a transmission full of sludge, I really don't want a pressure flush braking that stuff loose and sending it into all those tiny little passages.

If you have an old tra ns, let sleeping dogs lie, or drop the pan and clean the sludge out of there. Don't send it into the internals.
Quote:

The sludge that comes out of the block can be pretty thick and nasty- no way that's good for keeping the engine cool.
I thought we were talking about tr ansmissions.
Quote:

only us weirdos like driving 20 year old trucks for some reason.
Newest car we own is a 2008. Others are 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1974, 1971, 1953, 1952, and 1950. Lots of those are projects, but all the 1998+ are drivers.
Bob_Ag
AG
chimpanzee said:

Flaith said:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-F-150-P415-Owner's-Manual-First-Print_om_en-us_09_2013.pdf

p. 443

Every 150k miles.

Midas is giving you the bull**** treatment.
While you are right, it would be very hard for me to go 150K miles before a transmission service, particularly in Texas where we deal with extreme heat. I do think the manual does say in scenarios where you tow or haul it's closer to like 60K miles.

I had mine serviced at 50k miles by the dealer because I tow and peace of mind.

I'd also be very hesitant to let anyone other than a dealer service a transmission while under powertrain warranty.
Waltonloads08
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You're ruining your own argument. I'd say that new transmissions are less likely than old ones to have debris and "sludge" in them. If I have a transmission full of sludge, I really don't want a pressure flush braking that stuff loose and sending it into all those tiny little passages.

If you have an old tra ns, let sleeping dogs lie, or drop the pan and clean the sludge out of there. Don't send it into the internals.
Quote:

The sludge that comes out of the block can be pretty thick and nasty- no way that's good for keeping the engine cool.
I thought we were talking about tr ansmissions.
Quote:

only us weirdos like driving 20 year old trucks for some reason.
Newest car we own is a 2008. Others are 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1974, 1971, 1953, 1952, and 1950. Lots of those are projects, but all the 1998+ are drivers.

I have no idea why I read transmission and thought radiator, lol
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If It were my truck, I'd probably service the fluid every 60K, if I planned on keeping it for a long time.

UnderoosAg
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

If It were my truck, I'd probably service the fluid every 60K, if I planned on keeping it for a long time.

Normal people long time, or your long time. Don't you swap vehicles every other moon phase? Or at least turn them into something three models higher?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
UnderoosAg said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Normal people long time, or your long time. Don't you swap vehicles every other moon phase? Or at least turn them into something three models higher?
Usually get rid of them before the first oil change....

OnlyForNow
AG
Unless you get T-Boned on Hwy 6?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Don't flush the transmission. Drain, change filter and refill.

This is NOT always true. Some car makers want their transmissions flushed. Nissan for example.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.