2019 Ford Ranger

11,405 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Picard
DeepEastTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's actually the same engine from the Mustang and the Focus RS, I believe.
CDUB98
AG
That's a hell of an engine for a mid-size truck.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
DeepEastTxAg said:

It's actually the same engine from the Mustang and the Focus RS, I believe.
Well the RS is in FWD Guise but they're almost the same.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CDUB98 said:

Toyota brings their 3.5L V6 to the table with 278hp and the Canyonrado has a 308hp 3.6L LGZ engine, so Ford has to be competitive. Plus, safety regulations and standards have increased so much, that you have to provide the safety equipment, ABS, Airbags (front and side), crash bars, TPMS, rollover protection, etc are all things that add cost and weight to vehicles.

The days of $9,999 Ford Ranger XLs with A/C and a radio, twin plug 2.3L NA 4 cylinders with 96 horsepower are over. As are Tacos and S10s you could get for 10K.
schmendeler
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

CDUB98 said:

Toyota brings their 3.5L V6 to the table with 278hp and the Canyonrado has a 308hp 3.6L LGZ engine, so Ford has to be competitive. Plus, safety regulations and standards have increased so much, that you have to provide the safety equipment, ABS, Airbags (front and side), crash bars, TPMS, rollover protection, etc are all things that add cost and weight to vehicles.

The days of $9,999 Ford Ranger XLs with A/C and a radio, twin plug 2.3L NA 4 cylinders with 96 horsepower are over. As are Tacos and S10s you could get for 10K.
how much for that hilux from top gear they couldn't kill? it probably still runs fine.
lotsofhp
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

CDUB98 said:

Such a shame. Those trucks were perfect for so many people. You don't need a full size truck when the most you haul is a few bags of mulch. Plus they were nimble and easy to get around.

On another note, with all of the safety regulations cars have to meet, it's crazy to me that motorcycles are still street legal. Not pushing for that to change, it just doesn't seem consistent to me.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm hoping it gets the 350 hp tune.

Force the other guys to pick it up... Definitely interested to see more details on these
PMD03
AG
evan_aggie said:

I'm going 280-285hp with about 310-315 lb torque.

Any takers?
That sounds pretty awesome to me. That's about 100hp more than my 1988 F150 made. The straight six was reliable but slow as hell. I haven't had a Ford since selling that truck in 2004 with over 330,000 miles on it. This could be the next truck I purchase.

In 2010 my wife got a new Nissan Frontier. It has been a solid truck and we have no plans to get rid of it. In 2010, we paid $24k out the door for a SE version with a value added package with bed liner, cruise control, alloy wheels, etc. This talk of a close to $40k ranger is nuts.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
PMD03 said:

evan_aggie said:

I'm going 280-285hp with about 310-315 lb torque.

Any takers?
That sounds pretty awesome to me. That's about 100hp more than my 1988 F150 made. The straight six was reliable but slow as hell. I haven't had a Ford since selling that truck in 2004 with over 330,000 miles on it. This could be the next truck I purchase.

In 2010 my wife got a new Nissan Frontier. It has been a solid truck and we have no plans to get rid of it. In 2010, we paid $24k out the door for a SE version with a value added package with bed liner, cruise control, alloy wheels, etc. This talk of a close to $40k ranger is nuts.
4.9L I6 was 145 hp, a little more when they moved to mass air. Great engine, it would work its butt off and do it without complaint.

The 280hp seems about right, and Ford will probably bump it little by little every year as they refine/re-tune to keep up with the horsepower wars....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

Such a shame. Those trucks were perfect for so many people. You don't need a full size truck when the most you haul is a few bags of mulch. Plus they were nimble and easy to get around.

On another note, with all of the safety regulations cars have to meet, it's crazy to me that motorcycles are still street legal. Not pushing for that to change, it just doesn't seem consistent to me.
Makes me feel like a manly man when I drive my F250 to the garden center for 2 bags of mulch and some pansies....

evan_aggie
AG
The video online suggested more... 315hp maybe. I don't think they would want to run the boost too high on a truck. I'd prefer to keep a faster spool and lower total psi.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
evan_aggie said:

The video online suggested more... 315hp maybe. I don't think they would want to run the boost too high on a truck. I'd prefer to keep a faster spool and lower total psi.
Maybe for the raptor....Then again I was hoping for a 2.7L TT Raptor.

Surprised they're not offering some plebian powertrain like the 2.5L NA I4 for the Orkin man and ADT.
tailgatetimer10
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

evan_aggie said:

Maybe for the raptor....Then again I was hoping for a 2.7L TT Raptor.

Surprised they're not offering some plebian powertrain like the 2.5L NA I4 for the Orkin man and ADT.

Seeing that the global raptor is coming out this year, is it safe to assume a 2020 US raptor?... (If the regular ranger sells as well as I'd expect)
evan_aggie
AG
I assume that ford will prefer folks to stick with the Transit for ADT and the like...
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ranger Raptor drops in Thailand with a Twin Turbo Diesel....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/02/2019-ford-ranger-raptor-arrives-210-hp-diesel-off-road-ready-suspension.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Powerstroke.org_new-content-unsold&utm_source=Powerstroke.org20180207

Quote:

This global spec Ranger Raptor won't be coming to the United States, but it could give us an idea of what to expect if Ford brings a similar product of the same to North America. The powertrain consists of the same 10-speed automatic transmission from the F-150 Raptor, which is paired with a 2.0-liter twin-turbocharged diesel engine making 210 hp and 368 lb-ft of torque. Helping put the power to the ground is a Terrain Management System with six different drive modes including Normal and Sport, and off-road modes like Grass/Gravel/Snow, Rock Mode and Baja Mode. There's even a Desert Rally mode that will adjust the ESC and allow the truck to get sideways on loose surfaces.

What customers will really be paying for with the ranger Raptor is the suspension. It has a frame specially prepared for the rigours of off-road driving, along with a coilover rear suspension with a Watt's link and a solid rear axle. There's also 'Position Sensitive Damping' Fox Racing shock absorbers up front and out back, which are mounted using forged aluminium upper arms and cast aluminium lower arms. The braking system is also rather robust, consisting of twin-piston front callipers and 13-inch ventilated front and rear rotors. As for tires, the Ranger Raptor will come with all-terrain BF Goodrich rubber that Ford says is appropriate for use both on and off paved roads.

Other off-road equipment on the 2019 Ranger Raptor includes a silver-finished, 2.3mm thick steel skid plate, dual front recovery hooks, transfer case undershields and an engine undershield. The truck will also come well-equipped with Ford's Sync3 multimedia system with satellite navigation and an eight-inch digital display. There will be raft of driver assistance tech as well, such as roll mitigation, trailer sway control, hill start assist, hill decent control and a rear-view camera.

Pricing for the 2019 Ford Ranger Raptor has yet to be announced. It will be sold in Australia and other Asia-Pacific markets beginning later this year.

saltydog13
AG
Almost as much torque as my tundra in that light truck.
pnut02
AG
My knees look like they'd be permanently pinned against the dash

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

Ford Motor Co. is pricing the revived Ford Ranger about the same as the segment-leading Toyota Tacoma as it prepares to re-enter the midsize pickup market for the first time in about eight years.

The 2019 Ranger, which goes on sale early next year, will start at $25,395 including shipping and will top out at more than $40,000. That's about the same as the Tacoma, which starts at $25,400 for 2018 models, but more than the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Pricing on the 2017 Colorado starts at $20,995, while the 2017 Canyon starts at $22,095.

Ford said Tuesday it has opened dealer order banks and consumers can begin preordering the truck.

The Ranger will come in three trim levels: XL, XLT and Lariat. Ford will sell two-door SuperCab and four-door SuperCrew configurations and offer both four-wheel drive and two-wheel drive for each configuration.

The base XL 4x2 SuperCab with a 6-foot box will be priced from $25,395 with shipping, Ford said. The XL 4x2 SuperCrew with a 5-foot box starts at $27,615.

The most expensive Ranger, a Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew, will be priced at $39,480. That figure can top $40,000 if buyers choose the FX4 off-road package, which is a $1,295 option.

The FX4 package is offered on all 4wd models. It comes with the terrain-management system first offered on the F-150 Raptor that features four drive modes: normal, grass/gravel/snow, mud/ruts and sand. The package also includes a new "trail control," which acts as an off-road cruise control by accelerating or braking to maintain a set speed while traversing gravel or mountain trails. It's an extension of the automaker's hill-descent control, which controls braking on steep grades. The FX4 package will come with standard automatic emergency braking.

Ford sells the Ranger in dozens of markets overseas. The 2019 Ranger has been specifically engineered for North America, company officials say. It will come with only one engine: a 2.3-liter, EcoBoost mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission.

The latest Ranger has a mostly steel body, axles made by Dana Inc., which supplies the Jeep Wrangler, and an exterior design similar to its larger F-series counterparts. During development, it went through the same torture tests as the F-150. It will include a number of tech features, such as a standard 4G-connected Wi-Fi hot spot, FordPass Connect and pre-collision assist technology.

Ford stopped selling the Ranger in the U.S. in 2011. It was regularly among the segment's top sellers, including No. 1 as recently as 2004. Ranger sales routinely totaled more than 300,000 a year in the 1990s before fading in the early 2000s.

U.S. sales of midsize pickups have climbed 20 percent this year after rising less than 1 percent in 2017.

Build and price here https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/
The Lost
It'll be interesting to see how they do incentives with this. Before i got my 4x4 stx, i had looked at the tacoma/colorado, but the tacoma they don't take a cent off of and the colorado wasn't much cheaper so i thought it was dumb to not get a full sized truck since it was way more capable than the other two, even if i don't use it to it's full capacity consistently.

Seems like a decent truck, just not at sticker price.
schmendeler
AG
I like it. if I wanted a "small" truck, I'd consider it.
Picard
AG
They'll just reduce the incentives on the F150s....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.