2019 Ford Ranger

11,401 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Picard
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

DETROIT -- After an eight-year hiatus, Ford Motor Co. is re-entering the midsize pickup segment with the 2019 Ford Ranger, which offers truck buyers some of the features and benefits they could get in an F-150 but with fewer customization options, a smaller footprint and lower price tag.

The revived Ranger, which will be made in Michigan and go on sale next year, has a similar architecture to the pickup Ford sells in dozens of markets overseas, but its design and powertrain have been developed specifically for U.S. buyers. Ford, which plans to formally introduce the Ranger at the Detroit auto show on Sunday, will offer only one engine option: a 2.3-liter EcoBoost mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission.

The latest Ranger has a mostly steel body, rugged axles from Dana Inc. and an exterior design similar to its larger F-series counterparts. During development, it went through the same torture tests as the F-150.

"This is not about bringing the global Ranger here to the U.S. and selling it in our dealerships," said Todd Eckert, Ford trucks marketing manager. "This is about designing and engineering specifically for the North American customer and the conditions the trucks will be put in here."

The Ranger will include a host of new technology, such as a standard 4G-connected Wi-Fi hot spot, FordPass Connect and pre-collision assist technology as well as a number of other optional driver-assist features.

It will come in three trim levels: XL, XLT and Lariat. Ford will sell two-door SuperCab and four-door SuperCrew configurations.

An off-road FX4 package will be offered across all trims. That will give drivers the terrain-management system first offered on the F-150 Raptor that includes four drive modes: normal, grass/gravel/snow, mud/ruts and sand. The package also includes a new "trail control," which acts as an off-road cruise control by accelerating or braking to maintain a set speed while traversing gravel or mountain trails. It's an extension of the automaker's hill-descent control, which controls braking on steep grades. The FX4 package will come with standard automatic emergency braking.

The Ranger will include a host of new technology, such as a standard 4G-connected Wi-Fi hot spot, FordPass Connect and pre-collision assist technology.

The Ranger also will have a blind-spot information system with sensors that can extend their line of sight to the back of a trailer up to 33 feet long. The system will be standard on the XLT and Lariat trims.
The exterior will include frame-mounted steel bumpers as well as the Ranger's name prominently stamped into the tailgate and some grille designs. The interior includes an 8-inch touch screen as well as two LCD screens in the instrument cluster. The rear seats offer waterproof underseat storage.

Ford said it expects the Ranger to have best-in-class payload capacity but wouldn't divulge any details on power, fuel economy, dimensions or weight.

While the U.S. midsize pickup market peaked years ago -- at 1.32 million in 1986 -- it has staged a modest rally in recent years, yet remains small, with the introduction of revived models from General Motors. U.S. sales in the segment haven't topped 1 million since 2000 or 500,000 since 2007.
The Ranger was always among the segment's top sellers, including No. 1 as recently as 2004. During the 1990s, Ranger sales routinely totaled more than 300,000 units a year before fading in the 2000s.
Ford hopes to recapture some of the midsize pickup buyers it abandoned when it closed the St. Paul, Minn., plant that built the previous-generation Ranger. It also aims to conquest from other brands, woo some F-150 buyers though not too many, and only if they otherwise would have defected to a rival brand and even snatch sales from small crossovers and sedans.

It wants the Ranger to add to its strong overall pickup sales; the full-size F series has been the nation's best-selling pickup for 41 straight years.

"We see an opportunity," Eckert said. "It's one thing to get on top, but it's also about staying on top."

GTIAG09
AG
Dang, I was really hoping the 2.7 would have been an option
Cadet05
AG
I really miss having the option of a standard transmission.
mm98
AG
Price is critical here for Ford.

Tacoma's are really high. Colorado's aren't much better. Frontier is still dirt cheap.

If it takes 35K to get a 4wd XLT, I think Ford missed the mark.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's huge. It's a shame that small trucks no longer exist.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I miss these days

schmendeler
AG
I like it. I wish the general trend wasn't to make the little trucks so big. They are basically what used to be full sized trucks.
mts6175
AG
Bob Kelso
AG
Saw them everywhere in Brazil. Exact same styling. I think a saw a raptor version as well.
lotsofhp
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It's huge. It's a shame that small trucks no longer exist.

This. A lot of people loved those little trucks.

S10
Ranger
Tacoma
Mazda had one but don't remember what it was called

Fit the truck needs for a lot of people.
lotsofhp
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I miss these days

These were the two to have at my high school. Anything with Z71 on the side was the tits
hatchback
AG
Am I the only one who cannot see the photos in the OP?
GTIAG09
AG
1ags, any chance the 3.2L 5cyl diesel from the Transit eventually finds its way into the Ranger?
Corps_Ag12
AG
I would love to have a 2 door Tahoe.

I think fishin fools on the outdoor board had one for sale a long time ago that I should of bought.
clarythedrill
Bring back the bare bones Nissan Hardbody 4x2, they would sell like hotcakes.
AgResearch
AG
hatchback said:

Am I the only one who cannot see the photos in the OP?
I cannot either. Copy and paste the link and it wants me to log into a Google account.

This link has a bunch of pics: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/ranger/2019/2019-ford-ranger-first-look-review/#2019-ford-ranger-front-view-2
mm98
AG
My dad bought one and eventually gave it to my older brother. 4cyl, manual trans, manual locks and windows, no power steering, no tach, no trip odometer (he tracked fuel by hand on paper with each fill up).

Was so fun and easy to drive. And that truck ran for problem free to 9+ years until my brother got it impounded in OK.
Seven Costanza
Seven Costanza
AG
https://jalopnik.com/why-don-t-we-get-small-trucks-in-america-1725619233
CoolaidWade
AG
Sweet. Maybe this will drop the cost of the tacoma. Which will still outsell this thing 5 to 1.
GrapevineAg
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Sazerac
AG
I'm interested for my next ride, especially if I can get one loaded for mid 30s
KY AG
AG
Could be a winner. Tacos are getting stale these days and need some good-lookin' competition.
mts6175
AG
Taco is about to get a redesign too I believe.
mm98
AG
"Redesign" or needed correction? Aren't the new 3.5s and transmission performing pretty badly?
The Lost
Intrigued on the size of the supercab bed and it's price.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like it.
GIF Reactor
AG
Damnit. Was holding out for one of these, but hoping it would have a different look. Maybe when we see one that is a more normal color.
IntensivePurposes
AG
Been waiting on this for 2 years and I'm super disappointed. It almost seems like Ford is purposefully tanking this thing so they can say "see, we told you the ranger wouldn't sell here". Then they go back to selling 80 bazillion uninspired, overpriced fiddys.
TSUAggie
Electrical_Ag said:

Damnit. Was holding out for one of these, but hoping it would have a different look. Maybe when we see one that is a more normal color.

Yep. Don't think they could have picked a color any more hideous than that.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GTIAG09 said:

1ags, any chance the 3.2L 5cyl diesel from the Transit eventually finds its way into the Ranger?
I doubt it. That engine is very expensive.

I see maybe the 3.0L Powerstroke going in(cost restrictive), or maybe even the new 2.0L "Eco Blue" which has 170hp may play nicely in this application.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
cclearman said:

I think a crew 4x4 XLT will be in the low 40s but with discounts, they'll be in the mid 30s.
mm98
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

cclearman said:

I think a crew 4x4 XLT will be in the low 40s but with discounts, they'll be in the mid 30s.

Maybe my expectations are off, but if you're correct that's disappointing to me. I would hope the XLT 4x4 would be closer to low 30s after all rebates and discounts.
MouthBQ98
AG
Looks pretty big.
reproag
AG
mts6175 said:

Taco is about to get a redesign too I believe.
Toyota redesigned the Taco for 2016 then added the Toyota Safety Sense w/ Pedestrian detection on the 2018. Probably only see changes to grill & or technology for a few years.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.