Truck burned up last night

10,956 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ChampsAg
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was the truck running when the fire started? Or did something just spontaneously start burning with it sitting and not running?
malenurse
AG
ChampsAg said:

They don't know yet. Insurance should have someone out by this time next week. It's stuck in my driveway until then.
I'm sure the Homeowner's Assoc will be sending you a letter.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
The Wonderer
AG
malenurse said:

ChampsAg said:

They don't know yet. Insurance should have someone out by this time next week. It's stuck in my driveway until then.
I'm sure the Homeowner's Assoc will be sending you a letter.
Probably already in the mail.
Bob_Ag
AG
Maybe consider filing a report with the NHTSA? Not the first Ram I've heard of burning to the ground and it's the only way to get a recall going.
ChampsAg
Luckily we are in the county. We have a homeowners association but no one has said anything

Truck was sitting in the driveway and we were inside watching a movie. Parked it around 8:00 and the biggest boom was at 10:30
The Anchor
AG
Now I know who you are, OP! My wife was showing me your FB pictures about this the other day. Our wives are friends and we don't really know each other. We go to same church, though.
ChampsAg
Small world!
Watchful Ag
AG
Looks like you're bringing him to work on Monday
austinrb10
AG
Wow, small world, I went to school with your wife OP. The video of the fire is crazy; glad to see y'all are in good shape!
The Anchor
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Looks like you're bringing him to work on Monday
I'd be glad to. I leave for work around 0530. Champs - You up for that?
Superdave1993
AG
Did you have a phone charger plugged into a constant power outlet? Older Dodges had issues with the ones in the fold down center console, and they would go up in flames. I think the '14 has the plug in the bin just in front of the arm rest, but it could happen.

Ag In Ok
AG
I do this all the time
ChampsAg
Rental car FTW
ChampsAg
Phone charger was in my wife's car.

Truck had been sitting for about 2.5 hours
Superdave1993
AG
I do to, and in an '06 Dodge 3500. I just make sure I have my comp coverage paid up. I think those were more of an issue with the outlet than the charger. Usually never an issue, but it only takes something small. Aftermarket amps are a good source as well.
The Anchor
AG
ChampsAg said:

Rental car FTW

That's what I figured. Thought I'd offer anyways.
ChampsAg
Much appreciated
Mateo84
AG
Whoa
ChampsAg
Investigator here this morning. Appears to be electrical but so much thermal damage he can't determine origin. Looks to be the passenger side dash by best guess
Jaydoug
AG
ChampsAg said:

Investigator here this morning. Appears to be electrical but so much thermal damage he can't determine origin. Looks to be the passenger side dash by best guess

Water pump is in the glove box?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/684449001
Aggietaco
AG
Jaydoug said:

ChampsAg said:

Quote:

"certain trucks are equipped with a water-pump bearing that, after exposure to certain conditions, may overheat and potentially cause an engine-compartment fire"

Probably not the cause of this one.
Drewmeister
AG
Aggietaco said:

Jaydoug said:

ChampsAg said:

Quote:

"certain trucks are equipped with a water-pump bearing that, after exposure to certain conditions, may overheat and potentially cause an engine-compartment fire"

Probably not the cause of this one.
Definitely not -- that only applied to the 6.7 Cummins, and OP said he had a Ram 1500.

Still, yikes!
ChampsAg
PatAg
AG
Make sure they cover the cost of a new basketball goal too
NICU Dad
AG
Fought several house fires that happened because a vehicle was parked in a garage and caught.

Nearly all of those were some sort of electrical short.

Car fires are nasty. They either burn out quickly with relatively low amounts of damage, or are completely totaled like the OP. There's rarely any in between to them.

Glad the truck was parked outside when it caught.

Had a Corps buddy that drove a jacked up Ford - mid to late 90's - back when we were in school. It was a cool truck - 4x2 that handled off road better than nearly all 4x4's.

Buddy had it parked in his barn at his property and it had a similar electrical short. Burned the truck and barn down. He joked that the truck committed suicide because it didn't want to be driven by anybody except my buddy.
Synopsis
Picard said:

Ag In Ok said:

Was a cause of the fire identified?

Yes. He said it was a Ram.

txyaloo
AG
NICU Dad said:

Fought several house fires that happened because a vehicle was parked in a garage and caught.

Nearly all of those were some sort of electrical short.

Car fires are nasty. They either burn out quickly with relatively low amounts of damage, or are completely totaled like the OP. There's rarely any in between to them.

Glad the truck was parked outside when it caught.

Had a Corps buddy that drove a jacked up Ford - mid to late 90's - back when we were in school. It was a cool truck - 4x2 that handled off road better than nearly all 4x4's.

Buddy had it parked in his barn at his property and it had a similar electrical short. Burned the truck and barn down. He joked that the truck committed suicide because it didn't want to be driven by anybody except my buddy.
My guess is it was due to the cruise control switch. Ford had multiple huge recalls on it since their first and second fixes didn't work and trucks were stilling burning to the ground
ChampsAg
Ended up with a 2018 Chevy Texas Edition. Had some great deals on them. First Chevy for me and I'm very impressed by the ride and cab noise level.

A little nervous to park it near the house! LOL!
The Wonderer
AG
ChampsAg said:

Ended up with a 2018 Chevy Texas Edition. Had some great deals on them. First Chevy for me and I'm very impressed by the ride and cab noise level.

Dash cracking should not cause damage to the house.
AgEng06
AG
Did your camera somehow burn up between the fire pics and the new truck?

And congrats on the new truck!
ChampsAg
03_Aggie
ChampsAg said:

They really have changed the design of their trucks
Oknows
AG
Who are the Ford contacts on the board? About to be in the market. Thanks.
Watchful Ag
AG
The Wonderer said:

ChampsAg said:

Funny, because I don't remember my 18 year old Silverado with any cracks ...

Or my newest Chevy

The Wonderer
AG
Watchful Ag said:

The Wonderer said:

ChampsAg said:

Funny, because I don't remember my 18 year old Silverado with any cracks ...

Or my newest Chevy

Just give the 'hoe a few years and it will definitely become a crack 'hoe.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.