Licensing a utility trailer

6,328 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Animal Eight 84
TexAg1987
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a small shop made/homemade (5'x8') utility trailer with a ramp that used to belong to my father-in-law. He passed away 19+ years ago.

To my knowledge it has never had a license plate. I have been pulling it occasionally without plates. Earlier this week I finally got pulled over and issued a warning.

I would like to get plates for it so I went to the tax office and they seem clueless on how to make this happen.
The last person I talked with said that I needed to get a bonded title. The form they handed me says it is not for trailers and I need to fill out a form VTR-125 which is for a Motor Vehicle appraisal for Tax Collector Hearing/Bonded title. It appears that I would have to take the trailer to Waco to have it inspected. This seems ridiculous for a small landscape trailer.

Anyone done this?
agwrangler2001
AG
Standard 130-U for the Registration. Tell them you need to register a home-built utility trailer. They will (should) ask weight of trailer and capacity of trailer. If those weights combined (gross trailer weight) are below 4,000 lbs, no title needed. They can give you a plate on the spot.

I highly suggest your gross being under 4,000 lbs, if you know what I mean.
TexAg1987
agwrangler2001 said:

Standard 130-U for the Registration. Tell them you need to register a home-built utility trailer. They will (should) ask weight of trailer and capacity of trailer. If those weights combined (gross trailer weight) are below 4,000 lbs, no title needed. They can give you a plate on the spot.

I highly suggest your gross being under 4,000 lbs, if you know what I mean.
That is how we started, then someone asked a question and it ran off the rails.

No VIN or other identifying numbers available. This is where the confusion started.
TexAg1987
How do I answer the Sales and Use Tax Computation?
txyaloo
AG
You'll have to take it to a regional auto theft task force if it's over 4000lbs. They'll look it over for any identifying marks to see if it's stolen. I've heard a lot of people complain about their trailers being seized by the task force because they found a serial number or obscured vin/makers mark. The automatic assumption is the trailer is stolen and you have to prove it isn't. Most of the task forces also right tickets for expired trailer inspection/registration, lights being out, etc. I'd make sure you have legal temporary tax from the tax assessor prior to scheduling your task force appointment.
TexAg1987
txyaloo said:

You'll have to take it to a regional auto theft task force if it's over 4000lbs. They'll look it over for any identifying marks to see if it's stolen. I've heard a lot of people complain about their trailers being seized by the task force because they found a serial number or obscured vin/makers mark. The automatic assumption is the trailer is stolen and you have to prove it isn't. Most of the task forces also right tickets for expired trailer inspection/registration, lights being out, etc. I'd make sure you have legal temporary tax from the tax assessor prior to scheduling your task force appointment.
Small utility trailer. less than 4000 lb.

Similar to this:

agwrangler2001
AG
TexAg1987 said:

They (tax office) should have a chart that determines this based on the weights.

Why would a home built have a VIN or ID numbers? That is a no-brainer.

If you follow what I posted above, you DO NOT have to take it to a regional auto inspection center.
That is only if you need a VIN number assigned to a homebuilt, which if the gross weight is below 4k lbs, you do not.
TexAg1987
agwrangler2001 said:

TexAg1987 said:

They (tax office) should have a chart that determines this based on the weights.

Why would a home built have a VIN or ID numbers? That is a no-brainer.

If you follow what I posted above, you DO NOT have to take it to a regional auto inspection center.
That is only if you need a VIN number assigned to a homebuilt, which if the gross weight is below 4k lbs, you do not.
My thought too. Lots of signs up at each station saying that they are training new people. I am sure that is why they are butchering this.

agwrangler2001
AG
I've had luck going to different tax office locations, if that is an option where you are located.
TexAg1987
agwrangler2001 said:

I've had luck going to different tax office locations, if that is an option where you are located.
College station....so no.
Rexter
Just go in and tell the clerk you want to register a home built trailer that has a 3500lb axle.
TexAg1987
Went back and got a more experienced clerk. All good now.
I knew it shouldn't be that hard.
Thanks all.
AggieOE12
AG
Bringing up an old thread here but registering a trailer is NOT an easy process anymore.

I bought a used Carry-On trailer (the 4x6 one sold from Lowes) built in 2008 for $600 back in March to make into a RTT trailer and registering this thing has been the biggest nightmare.

I live in Brazoria county (TX) and whether it is a home-built trailer or not, you have to:
1) Have it inspected by the auto theft taskforce to ensure it isn't stolen
2) Go to Houston DMV to have it titled.

IF it's a non-titled manufactured trailer (which mine is), then you have to:
1) Go to the tax office, get a temporary tag (~$27)
2) Have it inspected by the auto theft taskforce to ensure it isn't stolen (~$43)
3) Have it appraised (~$100 for VTR-125 form) since Carry-On does NOT appear in the DMVs list of manufacturers.
4) Go to Houston DMV to have it titled (~$15)

Apparently, there are MORE steps after #4 but I haven't gotten that far.

I 100% should have bought this thing new for $1000 as the $300 saved has been such a pain!

I figured going the honest route of titling it as a manufactured trailer would be smart. So, I already had it inspected by the theft taskforce and actually stamped a VIN on it to make it even more official since the original vin sticker rotted off. I was able to actually hunt down the original vin but that's a long story.

Any clue on where to get a trailer appraised near Pearland for NOT $100?

Rule #1.
Naveronski
AG
Damn. When you bought it, did they not already have it registered?

I also have a utility trailer I converted for camping, and I recently transferred it to my name.

Took the bill of sale and old registration paperwork to the tax office, explained to the lady that I bought a trailer and needed to renew the registration in my name, I filled out a form, paid my tax, and left with a new plate and sticker.
BrazosDog02
AG
Do you have another good trailer with up to date plates and tags? My old man rotated one farm trailer plate between 6 trailers depending on which one he didn't want to be hassled about on the road. Can't drive them all at once.

Also…

Farm Trailers 4,000 lbs. or less

Exempt from title and registration requirements if primarily used as a farm vehicle.
Temporary additional weight receipts issued for hauling seasonal agricultural products do not affect a semitrailer's gross weight and status for titling purposes.

Just sayin…

This is all frowned upon but I'd go any of these routes if the alternative is taking a trailer to some gubmint enforcement racket where there was a chance they'd fine you or keep a trailer because they couldn't find a vin. Not worth it.
AggieOE12
AG
Naveronski said:

Damn. When you bought it, did they not already have it registered?

I also have a utility trailer I converted for camping, and I recently transferred it to my name.

Took the bill of sale and old registration paperwork to the tax office, explained to the lady that I bought a trailer and needed to renew the registration in my name, I filled out a form, paid my tax, and left with a new plate and sticker.
It was never titled/registered. It was actually used on a farm for most it's life.

I may look into continuing the farm trailer idea BrazosDog02 as we truly will rarely use this thing.
AggieOE12
AG
For those needing a trailer appraisal (VTR-125 form) for a bonded title, go see Utility Trailers off Wallisville Rd in Houston. Their sales team will get you squared away within 5-minutes for free.

Everywhere else, including Nationwide Trailers off the beltway and McClain Trailers off 10, charges ~$100.

AggieOE12
AG
I finally finished my trailer registration process and wanted to detail it here for those who need to do it too.

If it's a non-titled trailer, then you have to:
1) Go to the tax office, get a temporary tag (~$27) if possible.
2) Have it inspected by the auto theft taskforce to ensure it isn't stolen (~$43)
3) Have it appraised (form VTR-125 form), this is $100 from most places but free at Utility Trailer off 610 & 90.
4) Purchase a Surety Bond for 1.5x the appraised value (I used CNA Surety online, $100)
5) Get an official trailer weight certificate (find a CAT scale at a travel stop like Loves)
6) Go to DMV to have it titled (~$15), fill out all the Bonded Title forms.
6) Go to local tax office to complete registration and get tags.

After I got my tag, they kept all the forms so I'm blanking on which one was needed for step (1) and which ones are included in the Bonded Title form packet.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Thanks for sharing glad it worked out.

I had two home shop built farm trailers registered a few years ago, was a lot simpler process. Filled out a form and payed the tax.

I ran them for years as legit farm trailers daytime use with no license.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.