Best Cordless Impact

4,712 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Shelton98
Troy91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With my new battery powered impact driver, I took my life in my own hands and replaced the rear brake's and rotors on my wife's 2008 GMC Yukon.

The driver did well. It did not have as much power as my air powered impact wrench. So, I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts. Other than that, it performed well. It is much more convenient than dragging out the compressor and fooling around with the hose.

Thanks, autoboard.
dubi
AG
JimmyB
Spoon
AG
Nope, ftlbs. Semi trucks need 450-500 ftlbs. Our torque wrench is 5 foot long
Bob_Ag
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Can't say if the Ridgid 1/2" impact wrench is the best, but I just got my 13 year old batteries replaced under warranty with just a phone call.
That's a good deal. Batteries are super expensive.

I need new Li batteries for my Makita cordless tools and they are $$$.
Mr. Dubi
I agree the cordless electrics don't seem to have the power and speed of a decent air wrench. I used the Ridgid that Dubi took out from under the Christmas tree. I was not patient enough to charge the 4.0 mAh battery, so I used the old 2.0mAh batteries I had already.

The Ridgid did not have the speed or torque of my Harbor Freight 'Earthquake" air wrench rated at 650 lbft (it has laughed at everything I have used it on), but he cordless did manage to break loose the lug nuts on my F150torqued to whatever collegestationford felt like tightening them to, after I asked them not to remove the wheels. They spec is 150 ftlb...
dubi
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

I agree the cordless electrics don't seem to have the power and speed of a decent air wrench. I used the Ridgid that Dubi took out from under the Christmas tree. I was not patient enough to charge the 4.0 mAh battery, so I used the old 2.0mAh batteries I had already.

The Ridgid did not have the speed or torque of my Harbor Freight 'Earthquake" air wrench rated at 650 lbft (it has laughed at everything I have used it on), but he cordless did manage to break loose the lug nuts on my F150torqued to whatever collegestationford felt like tightening them to, after I asked them not to remove the wheels. They spec is 150 ftlb...

I actually unboxed it so it would be registered with Ridgid in the 90 day registration window. That is where they get their warranty denials!
RC_57
AG
Appreciate all the input.
I need to go through and review them.

The thought did occur to me, almost too late though, while walking through the pits a few week ago, I had the perfect opportunity to see what the consensus was for those using the tool for the same use as I intend to.

Winner seemed to be DeWalt, even discounting the "Name" teams (like Kyle Busch's three entries) as they probably get their tools for "free".

Thanks again
Shelton98
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

DeWalt XR 20v puts out over 700lbs of torque.

I bought myself one of these for Christmas... it's a beast. I have a 1/2" C-H air impact, but there have been several times where I was changing a flat or rotating tires and it couldn't bust the lugnuts loose. I ended up having to use a lug wrench with a cheater pipe to bust them loose and bent the lug wrench in the process. Guys at the tire place must not pay attention to torque specs these days.

This DeWalt cordless impact also has 3 settings and from a little experimenting on one lugnut, they are...

#1. A tad more than hand-tight
#2. About 125-150 ft-lbs
#3. Did not attempt
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.