Best Cordless Impact

4,678 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Shelton98
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the consensus on who makes the best 1/2" drive cordless impact?

Thanks all
Waterski02
AG
I bought a Milwaukee "medium torque" recently

Something like 400lbs torque and much lighter than the ones of yesterday

91AggieLawyer
AG
nm; forgot what forum this was and gave a wood/general tool recommendation.
Builder93
AG
I have a 1/2" Makita that has been good. I'm a Makita fan because I have never killed one. My corded has more power but I'm sure the newer brushless motors would rival the corded models.
robertcope
I don't know if it is "the best" (at what? torque? size/comfort? battery life?) but if I were buying another impact, I'd be looking at the RYOBI ONE+ options as I have a bunch of other cordless tools in that line.
moore42
AG
robertcope said:

I don't know if it is "the best" (at what? torque? size/comfort? battery life?) but if I were buying another impact, I'd be looking at the RYOBI ONE+ options as I have a bunch of other cordless tools in that line.
That's the one I have. It works for busting lug nuts with relative ease. I've never tried anything more than that....yet
MGS
I got the Ryobi ONE+ as well, and it's a great buy at $120 or whatever I paid for it. No problems with replacing struts on my car. I couldn't remove the sacrificial anode out of my water heater with an 18" breaker bar, but it came out pretty easy with this impact wrench.
Mr. Dubi
Can't say if the Ridgid 1/2" impact wrench is the best, but I just got my 13 year old batteries replaced under warranty with just a phone call.
txyaloo
AG
Love my Milwaukee. It's taken off every nut/bolt I've tried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFUA7FC/
txagfisher
AG
Milwaukee is on sale at HD right now

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Cordless-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-with-One-5-0Ah-Battery-2763-21XC/301099969
Dumpster Fire
I have a Kobalt and love it. I will say that get a great set of sockets is a must. Don't be limited with a good impact and cheap sockets
Naveronski
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Can't say if the Ridgid 1/2" impact wrench is the best, but I just got my 13 year old batteries replaced under warranty with just a phone call.

How did this happen?
I thought batteries were a consumable and not covered?
UmustBKidding
The rigid cordless warranty covers the batteries also for registered devices. Basically you buy it and fill out the warranty info online which includes all the device and battery serial numbers. My experience is that if anything fails take the whole thing (kit if its a set with multiple tools) back to the place of purchase (home depot in my cases) tell them its broken. They look it up and if registered they give you a new complete set, rinse repeat.
The rigid batteries have a microcontroller in them the keep them from being over discharged. So they tend not to slow down like others but when the indicator says low prepare for them to shutdown. Running Li batteries is what kills them.
dubi
AG
Naveronski said:

Mr. Dubi said:

How did this happen?
I thought batteries were a consumable and not covered?
They are also replacing a 13yo cordless drill for free.

Ridgid is fantastic as long as you register your items within 30 days.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
DeWalt XR 20v puts out over 700lbs of torque.
dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

The rigid cordless warranty covers the batteries also for registered devices. Basically you buy it and fill out the warranty info online which includes all the device and battery serial numbers. My experience is that if anything fails take the whole thing (kit if its a set with multiple tools) back to the place of purchase (home depot in my cases) tell them its broken. They look it up and if registered they give you a new complete set, rinse repeat.
The rigid batteries have a microcontroller in them the keep them from being over discharged. So they tend not to slow down like others but when the indicator says low prepare for them to shutdown. Running Li batteries is what kills them.
Batteries are replaced with a phone call and the new one is shipped to your house.

The drill had to be dropped off at Home Depot then shipped to the repair shop. They do not replace it in the store anymore.
Naveronski
AG
UmustBKidding said:

That's pretty handy. Batteries are the weak point in my dewalt set.
TX_AG_10
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

I've got the rigid impact. No issues with it. Did a whole lift kit on my YJ with it.
Cibalo
I have the Hitachi 18v cordless driver. It does 1280 in-lb and the batter life is great.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-4-in-Cordless-Variable-Speed-Impact-Driver-with-Hard-Case-and-Battery-Included/50306007
insulator_king
AG
Well, I have the Sears Craftsman 19.2V impact.

Works well for me.
Have the XCP which is 300 ft-lb.

But if you don't have all the other 19.2V tools, you should go elsewhere.
Builder93
AG
FYI, when comparing tool batteries, the Dewalt and Milwaukee 20V are max output. They are effectively the same continuous output as the Makita 18V. They just do some clever advertising to make it look like the 20V are putting out more power.
Spoon
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

DeWalt XR 20v puts out over 700lbs of torque.

We use these to tighten mack truck lug nuts then we torque them to 475ftlbs. Most don't need anymore torque after the impact.
aggie_wes
AG
Then you have over-torqued them with the impact

/Engineer.
KRamp90
AG
Yeah, I think he means inch pounds. 475 ft/lbs would likely snap it off...
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Naveronski said:

UmustBKidding said:

That's pretty handy. Batteries are the weak point in my dewalt set.

I have two new batteries on thier way. It would have cost $100 to replace if I had to pay for them. Didn't even have to pay shipping. I will only buy Rigid because you will never have to buy a replacement. As long as you register the product they will either repair it for free or replace it. It's a sweet deal.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
KRamp90 said:

Yeah, I think he means inch pounds. 475 ft/lbs would likely snap it off...
That torque might snap studs off of passenger hubs, but 450-500 is typical torque on semi truck wheels.

We're talking M22x1.5 here with a 33mm lug nut.
KRamp90
AG
Ah!
dubi
AG
The 1/2" Ridgid impact is under the tree at our house right now.
drumboy
AG
Yall are making me want to order a Dewalt impact since I already have the batteries with my other tools
Enviroag02
AG
I have and registered a 12 piece Rigid Gen5x set with two batteries. In what scenario, would the ENTIRE set be replaced? I assumed they would just replace the defective piece.
dubi
AG
drumboy said:

Yall are making me want to order a Dewalt impact since I already have the batteries with my other tools
Smart choice.

We have all the ridgid batteries so it would be nuts to buy another brand.
dubi
AG
Yes, just the broken/defective piece.
drumboy
AG
dubi said:

drumboy said:

Smart choice.

We have all the ridgid batteries so it would be nuts to buy another brand.
Only $95 on Amazon.

I put it in the cart so either my wife won't notice it when she buys something (which happens like 5x a day) or she'll take the hint and it'll be under the tree in two days (if ordered before 3PM).
dubi
AG
Quote:

I put it in the cart so either my wife won't notice it when she buys something (which happens like 5x a day) or she'll take the hint and it'll be under the tree in two days (if ordered before 3PM).

My hubby does that too. I NOTICE AND DELETE THE ITEM!
Troy91
AG
Auto board costs me money again.

I will have both the air driven impact wrench and the battery powered DeWalt. The good news is that I already own batteries.

Plan to use it this weekend on a brake job.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.