Can't wash my new Tahoe?

6,075 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dubi
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a 16oz bottle of the Chemical Guys waterless stuff to give it a shot. Wife's car is black and the vette is black, so we'll see.

Will try the optimum stuff next
The Wonderer
AG
MrJonMan said:

I bought a 16oz bottle of the Chemical Guys waterless stuff to give it a shot. Wife's car is black and the vette is black, so we'll see.

Will try the optimum stuff next
Post your thoughts. I've looked into waterless because the new car is black and I live at an apartment complex.
BigRobSA
You know what doesn't need to be washed and waxed?

Plastidip.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
dodger02
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

Use it all the time on my black M5 and it does not swirl.
Posts like this are why I love and hate the Automotive board.
JSKolache
AG
Overachiever - washing after 3 weeks???
TulaneAg
I just bought a used black 911 that was swirled up pretty bad. Had a paint correction done on it immediately and it came back drop dead gorgeous. I'm scared sh*tless to wash it now for fear of swirling it up again, but it's time.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

So just a dry soft cloth and spray the stuff on and wipe...even over dirt?

No, at least not for Optimum, which seems to be one of the more popular rinseless products.

You put (ideally distilled) water in a bucket, mix in a capful or two of the ONR product, use one or more mitts and another bucket of water to rinse out. Wipe the AREA of the car down with the mitt and then dry off with one or two MF towels. Continue until the entire car is done. I modify this a little by using a bunch of mitts and I spray the product premixed in a pump up sprayer with water. On a car, I do half the top part of the car, then the other half, followed by the hood, then the trunk lid, then down each side. 20 minutes max, and I think I can cut that in half with some practice.

Pro detailers are using this method because you can do it in direct sunlight. After you wash, run your favorite spray wax on there and if your car already has decent paint, you won't believe how good it looks. However, a car that has caked on dirt still needs to be rinsed off. If that's the case, stop by the self serve car wash on your way home, rinse down thoroughly, go home and have dinner, then do the rinseless wash and wax that evening.

Had you told me 2 months ago I'd be using a rinseless product, I would have rolled my eyes.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I'm scared sh*tless to wash it now for fear of swirling it up again, but it's time.

Chemical Guys and Duragloss have wash products that seem to do well with lubricity.
Quito
AG
I'm interested in this waxing method. Any YouTube videos?

I don't see myself washing this way, but can see myself waxing.
txyaloo
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

So just a dry soft cloth and spray the stuff on and wipe...even over dirt?

No, at least not for Optimum, which seems to be one of the more popular rinseless products.

You put (ideally distilled) water in a bucket, mix in a capful or two of the ONR product, use one or more mitts and another bucket of water to rinse out. Wipe the AREA of the car down with the mitt and then dry off with one or two MF towels. Continue until the entire car is done. I modify this a little by using a bunch of mitts and I spray the product premixed in a pump up sprayer with water. On a car, I do half the top part of the car, then the other half, followed by the hood, then the trunk lid, then down each side. 20 minutes max, and I think I can cut that in half with some practice.

Pro detailers are using this method because you can do it in direct sunlight. After you wash, run your favorite spray wax on there and if your car already has decent paint, you won't believe how good it looks. However, a car that has caked on dirt still needs to be rinsed off. If that's the case, stop by the self serve car wash on your way home, rinse down thoroughly, go home and have dinner, then do the rinseless wash and wax that evening.

Had you told me 2 months ago I'd be using a rinseless product, I would have rolled my eyes.
I used ONR before switching to the Chemical Guys stuff. Chemical Guys doesn't need any mitts or buckets so it's much more convenient.

I use 3-4 microfibers on the car and ~6 on the SUV. Spray on the product and let it sit for 20-30 sec, wipe the panel, then use the dry MF to flip and buff. I've been really impressed
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Any YouTube videos?

Yep.

91AggieLawyer
AG
The other thing I've done with ONR is to put it in a spray bottle and use it as a cleaner for very dirty windows. I have never liked using a spray window cleaner on very dirty windows -- I always wiped them down first with a wet terry cloth towel. That may just be me, but if you're like me, spray bottle ONR is the solution.

ONR also works well on door jams - which was the main reason I got it to try in the first place. Between the time I ordered it and the time I got it, I decided to go ahead and use it on the entire car.

I just got through using ONR on a car that wasn't very dirty -- less than 20 minutes, all in my garage. Once people get over the idea that it will mar their paint, the industry will go rinseless.
Absolute
AG
I do it a little differently. Bucket with warm water and onr. Then throw in 5 or 6 mf towels. No dirty towel ever goes back in the bucket. Wash a section. Dry with separate bigger waffle weave mf towel. Goes pretty fast, though I haven't timed it. Wheels last with what is left in bucket. Have been then going back over it with the blackfire polish stuff to kinda buff it out.

Tried the optimum nr wax formula. Works pretty well but steaks on windows.

Haven't tried the spray bottle thing. What dilution do you use?

Agree with the stopping by the spray wash place if REALLY dirty.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

What dilution do you use?

Somewhere between about 150-200:1. A little stronger than the recommended wash mix. I barely coated a 32 oz. spray bottle at the bottom with the product and filled to the fill line with distilled water.

Quote:

Then throw in 5 or 6 mf towels.

I would strongly advise anyone to use a wash mitt when using the "wet" part of ONR. Dry with a plush MF towel. The Chemical Guys or Rag Company mitts would be my recommendation. But I do like the idea of not letting a used mitt go back into the solution or using it on the car a second time. Should take much of the fear out of ONR marring paint.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Looks like someone used too much spot free rinse.
dubi
AG
BigRobSA said:

You know what doesn't need to be washed and waxed?

Vehicles owned by Dubi!

Once a year I take mine in to get detailed. Dirty all year and don't give a *****

/Mr Dubi cares more for his......

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.