HELP - Dealership wrecked car while in for maintenance

14,924 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with the wonderer.

Also if the dealer is going to keep it internal, you shouldn't have any carfax flags thrown.

You should ask aboiut that.

As its a new car, blending the paint shouldnt be too hard since it hasnt faded yet.
aTm2004
AG
permabull
AG
Aggie GIGolo
AG
h2oag95 said:

They will try to fix it first without involving their shop liability insurance, because their deductible is fairly high, but will eventually have to get them involved to repair it correctly and get diminished value. Make sure you demand it unless it's a lease. If it is a lease car they may get out of it because you won't suffer any loss of value at time of turn in.

I have personally handled lots of these as a service director at a European car dealership. If you have any questions about the process from their perspective I would be happy to help.
This. They have Garagekeepers liability insurance and should notify their carrier. They are trying to take the cheap route. Go straight to their corporate risk management department and raise hell. All of these dealerships are owned by a large parent (Group 1 Automotive, Penske, Sonic, etc.)
crowman2010
AG
h2oag95 said:

They will try to fix it first without involving their shop liability insurance, because their deductible is fairly high, but will eventually have to get them involved to repair it correctly and get diminished value. Make sure you demand it unless it's a lease. If it is a lease car they may get out of it because you won't suffer any loss of value at time of turn in.

I have personally handled lots of these as a service director at a European car dealership. If you have any questions about the process from their perspective I would be happy to help.
There's a flaw with your statement though. That means that he's still paying against the original residual value/money factor. I would demand a lower payment or to have the dealership get me into a new whip.
BigPuma
AG
If you need media help if this doesn't go your way hit up agproducer for abc. I also have an in at Khou. Just saying
sts7049
AG
agproducer doesn't work there anymore i believe
The Original AG 76
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

The Wonderer said:

See what their offer is to rectify before you involve an attorney - it'll probably save you money on something like this.

Their ins should cover it without question. I'd shoot for (best case):

• they fix it with new rear door skin and pull/fill the quarter panel (required);
  • give you a loaner for the entirety of the repair (required);
  • give you monetary compensation for the diminished value (negotiable, but be reasonable here, push too hard and they'll just get their attorneys to handle it); and
  • have them throw in some freebies like all inclusive maintenance out to 100K or extended warranty to 100k (optional, but do not discount the value of this in your head if it is brought up, actually do the math).

While it sucks, accidents do happen and if you are dick right off the bat, they will not want to work with you and that will force you to get an attorney which will just cost more money because he will charge you by the hour (this doesn't seem big enough to me to warrant taking it on contingency (personal opinion, other attorneys may vary)).

Wonderer - Thanks for the detailed response. I am planning on going to the dealership tomorrow to speak with the General Manager as I have got no response to my emails/voicemails from the Service Adviser and Service Manager. Also, what would be your estimate for the diminished value that I should request?
I would STRONGLY advise you to use
Kent Putnam at Wreck Check to help you get top $$ fro diminished value.
They got me over $5,000 for my Toyota after the insurance co offers only $2,000.
Excellent guys

281-741-1670
info@wreckcheck.org
aggiedaniel06
AG
***UPDATE***
Went to the dealership yesterday and the GM was unavailable to meet. I met with the Service Director and Service manager, and they had had a "deer in the headlights" look as apparently this is the first time they have heard about the issue. They called the Service Adviser who was not working yesterday and apparently this issue was lost in communication.

I was appalled that the Service Director was unaware of such an incident taking place in his shop. Anyhow, since everything was news to them, I asked them to get themselves up to speed and I am supposed to go in later today again.

As far as the car goes, thankfully they haven't started doing any work on it and I will be inspecting it for the first time today. We didn't get into too much details about the repair scope and diminished value claim, but I could already tell that they are going to play hardball in regards to the DV claim.

OrigAg - Thanks for the contact info. I will give them a call as it seems likely that I will need help to get any diminished value money.
Tagguy
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

***UPDATE***
Went to the dealership yesterday and the GM was unavailable to meet.
Slam on the brakes right there. With an issue like this they need to make time.

Quote:

I met with the Service Director and Service manager, and they had had a "deer in the headlights" look as apparently this is the first time they have heard about the issue. They called the Service Adviser who was not working yesterday and apparently this issue was lost in communication.
Another hell no. They should have been well aware of the situation.

Quote:

I was appalled that the Service Director was unaware of such an incident taking place in his shop. Anyhow, since everything was news to them, I asked them to get themselves up to speed and I am supposed to go in later today again.
You should be. If it was me I would call up and explain that you WILL be seeing the GM after the meeting with the Service Director and that he should clear his schedule around your planned meeting time. If he cannot or will not make the time for an issue like this you can pretty much guarantee a rough road ahead in dealing with your repairs and any claim. At that point I would go ahead and start getting a lawyer ready. Maybe this is just that GM but the few times I have had an issue at the dealership the GM made sure to at least stop by and confirm that he is aware of the situation and would be following up with those in the dealership and with me to make sure everything was made right.

Quote:

As far as the car goes, thankfully they haven't started doing any work on it and I will be inspecting it for the first time today. We didn't get into too much details about the repair scope and diminished value claim, but I could already tell that they are going to play hardball in regards to the DV claim.
That's good. I would make it very clear to everyone involved that they aren't to so much as breathe on the car before you discuss with them how the repairs are going to be made and have everything written down.

Say Chowdah
AG
I reiterate my stance of calling BMW North America customer relations.

They should record this incident at the North American HQ and give you the incident reference code so that you can be sure that they are "aware" of the incident and then everyone at the dealership knows that they know about it.

BMW - Customer relations
1-800-831-1117
1208HawkTree
AG
I didn't read every word of every post, but I didn't see this mentioned. Does the shop have security cameras? Maybe there is a recording what actually happened.
The Wonderer
AG
sts7049 said:

agproducer doesn't work there anymore i believe
He does not, but still knows people there that he passes things to.
Post removed:
by user
aTm papi
crowman2010
AG
Sasappis said:

1208HawkTree said:

I didn't read every word of every post, but I didn't see this mentioned. Does the shop have security cameras? Maybe there is a recording what actually happened.

It doesn't matter what happened. It happened while in their custody and control caused by their employee. They are liable per se
Does he have it in writing from them that it happened at their shop? Does he have video proof that it happened in their shop?

Believe me, I've dealt with a similar situation.

Wife went to Discount Tire for B/R. Wife gave the keys to the kid, walked inside. Wife walks back outside to get the car when they were done, notices dents/scratches/paint marks all the way from the rear driver door to just above the tire, and even markings on the tire. When she questioned them about it, they stared at her and said they had "no idea how it happened". Luckily, I had her take photos of the brick wall of the cargo bay, which clearly had been hit more than it should have.

Long story short, they didn't want to pay at all to repair the damages. I threatened to take them to small claims court for roughly 4x the value of the damage estimate for diminished value/time lost from work, etc. They finally agreed to cover the repairs so long as I would sign what was effectively a gag order not to go to the media, along with a statement that said DT was not responsible for the damage, but was extending a courtesy repair for a customer.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Life's too short, get a lawyer to deal with these clowns. And call BMW relations in the mean time. Sit back and watch them dance instead of begging to talk to the GM.
He will never talk to you.
PooDoo
AG
crowman2010 said:

Sasappis said:

1208HawkTree said:

It doesn't matter what happened. It happened while in their custody and control caused by their employee. They are liable per se
Does he have it in writing from them that it happened at their shop? Does he have video proof that it happened in their shop?

Wife went to Discount Tire for B/R. Wife gave the keys to the kid, walked inside. Wife walks back outside to get the car when they were done, notices dents/scratches/paint marks all the way from the rear driver door to just above the tire, and even markings on the tire. When she questioned them about it, they stared at her and said they had "no idea how it happened". Luckily, I had her take photos of the brick wall of the cargo bay, which clearly had been hit more than it should have.

Long story short, they didn't want to pay at all to repair the damages. I threatened to take them to small claims court for roughly 4x the value of the damage estimate for diminished value/time lost from work, etc. They finally agreed to cover the repairs so long as I would sign what was effectively a gag order not to go to the media, along with a statement that said DT was not responsible for the damage, but was extending a courtesy repair for a customer.

They might consider TexAgs to be a form of media.
crowman2010
AG
PooDoo said:

crowman2010 said:

Sasappis said:

1208HawkTree said:

Major media outlets such as TV and Radio. Unless they pick this up on their radio broadcast, no issues.
Say Chowdah
AG
PooDoo said:

crowman2010 said:

Sasappis said:

1208HawkTree said:

They aren't going to do squat. They've already done the repair. Coming after someone for violating a "gag order" never goes well for the one who requested a gag order to begin with.

The amount of attention that that they would get by suing someone for violating a gag order would defeat the purpose of them going after someone that may or may not have violated it. That and recoverability of damages is darn near nothing! It would get tied up in deposition after deposition to someday get in front of a jury who'd say "shut up and get out".
The Wonderer
AG
Say Chowdah said:

PooDoo said:

crowman2010 said:

Sasappis said:

1208HawkTree said:

They aren't going to do squat. They've already done the repair. Coming after someone for violating a "gag order" never goes well for the one who requested a gag order to begin with.

The amount of attention that that they would get by suing someone for violating a gag order would defeat the purpose of them going after someone that may or may not have violated it. That and recoverability of damages is darn near nothing! It would get tied up in deposition after deposition to someday get in front of a jury who'd say "shut up and get out".
And unless there was a liquidated damages clause, they'd probably only recover nominal damages because technically it is a breach of contract.

Jury award:
BrazosDog02
AG
IDAg10
AG
Any updates? This is the dealership we use for my wife's BMW, might need to make some changes.
aTm papi
Updates
Whens lunch
AG
nm
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I've defended nearly this exact same case involving a Corvette damaged by a service tech at a Chevy dealership...it went to suit because the plaintiff insisted on receiving a new car or the cash equivalent. I also found all the plaintiff's Corvette forum comments that I used effectively against her in cross examination. No red flags yet in this thread, just be wary of saying too much on the internets. Good luck.
GigemCO2008
AG
Well if you aren't a Debbie downer. This thread could have been epic.

Now just a set of blue balls
sts7049
AG
Pahdz
He could at least share some details from his case (or not, if it's too soon)
AverageAg
AG
It's obvious what happened here guys...this goes way deeper than we thought. The GM clearly hired a pro to do some "wet work". No car owner. No problem.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Sorry for your blue balls, was just trying to help a brother out.

Hopefully the OP lets us know how it works out in the end.
OasisMan
AG
I'm late to the party, but would also have demanded new paneling at a minimum
bmks270
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

If you let them try and fix it, it will cost you money when you try and sell the car. Better tack on several thousand for diminished value. They will balk at it for sure but you'll regret it a few yrs from now.

I'd tell them not to touch it until you get an independent inspection and quote. Maybe work with your insurance to figure out what should be done. Your insurer should be able to get theirs to do the proper work.

Beamers value drops like a rock regardless.
aggiedaniel06
AG
I apologize for the blue balls and here is whats going on:

The dealership is wanting to fix it at their own body shop and said that they would not go through any insurance agency and hence it would not show up a carfax report. For any diminished value, they are offering me a thousand dollars and nothing else. Does this seem fair?

As far as the repairs go, they are going to install a new door skin and for the rear quarter panel, they are going to weld repair and use some filler to smooth out.

I have been driving the loaner that they gave me when I initially drooped it in for service.

For someone who asked about buying from Momentum - in general they are pleasant to deal with but they have this "too big to care" mentality and always throw around the fact that they sell the most BMW's in Texas.
permabull
AG
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.